Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: How Does the West Train Internal?

How Does the West Train Internal?

Sanjuro says,
    The consensus seems to be that, YES, western systems do have the very same "internals" as eastern ones, that one will indeed find the same attributes and techniques and practices, the difference simply being the "jargon" that is used.
    Truly, if one sees a high level athlete perform their sport one sees all that is "internal": structure, relaxation, alignment, full body union, etc, etc.
    It does truly seem to be a case of Tomato/tomahtoe.
    I agree.

So...there's lot's of talk here about Chinese (and other 'Eastern') Internal training methods...

How are Internals trained in the 'Western World'? Is it different, similar, what do you think?

Oops, probably should have put this in the internal forum...feel free to move. Thanks.
    Last edited by ShaolinDan; 09-07-2011 at 12:22 PM. Reason: afterthought

There's an internal way of punching. It's not straight. It has an arc to it. It utilizes the same shoulder motion as using a heavy hammer and/or sawing wood. Unlike push-it-out punching, you can generate power on the way out and on the way back.... or course there is linking it to the shoulder/hip/foot, etc., but everybody does that.

Also internal, is the emphasis on structure. Structural support and maintaining it in motion and under pushing/pulling scenarios.... I've trained this in MMA with head drag drills but it's not the same, different, and less detailed.

Lastly is the stuff everyone talks about. The standing. The postures. The running the channel for 30 mins minimum.

I do this standing in San Ti, Hold the Tree posture and the opening move of Taiji.... though not as much as I should. And it requires doing it for a while to evolve with it. But it contributes something.

Quote Originally Posted by ShaolinDan View Post
    Sanjuro says,

I agree.

So...there's lot's of talk here about Chinese (and other 'Eastern') Internal training methods...

How are Internals trained in the 'Western World'? Is it different, similar, what do you think?

Oops, probably should have put this in the internal forum...feel free to move. Thanks.
    Ask a fighter pilot.

How does someone train internal? Internal what?

Your heart beats, your blood flows, your bowels move and air goes in and out.
    Your spleen breaks down food and turns it into blood, your pancreas does a few things, but it produces insulin, your muscles will grow with resistance placed on them over time, your bones will grow through the micro fracture process.

diaphragmatic breathing is preferable to lung sucking.

Standing still is not inherently internal.
    visualisation is not inherently internal.
    You cannot train your organs to do anything different than what they already do. In rare cases, you'll find a holy man who can reputedly slow his heart rate and there are natural outliers who can do this without training at all. But good lucj finding a living example who can readily demonstrate any of that.

so, I have yet to hear any valid description of internal training really.

when you train, you train the whole body. The categorization and fragmentation of intellectual ideas applied to something as simple as the flesh and bone you are born with is often ludicrous.

you can have gross training and refined specific training.

internal/external is a crock and in all my years I have never been given a valid explanation of it. I accept it as divisions of martial arts, particularly chinese and that's about it. Internal = bagua, taiji and xingyi

Also, as an added anomaly, there is the most amount of blah blah blah and the least amount of fitness and ability to fight coming from so called internal martial arts. which only casts further dim light on that concept.

the whole idea of making the act of fighting some esoteric ritual is mind boggling really. but then...i do practice tcma so...lol
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Pina View Post
    There's an internal way of punching. It's not straight. It has an arc to it. It utilizes the same shoulder motion as using a heavy hammer and/or sawing wood. Unlike push-it-out punching, you can generate power on the way out and on the way back.... or course there is linking it to the shoulder/hip/foot, etc., but everybody does that.
    Are you saying that is an "internal" way of punching?

Sounds similar to the mechanics behind how a baseball pitcher throws a ball.

The running the channel for 30 mins minimum.
    What does that mean?
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    the whole idea of making the act of fighting some esoteric ritual is mind boggling really. but then...i do practice tcma so...lol

yeah...it's not like that's been going on since the 'Dawn of Man' or anything like that.

Anyway, why don't we stick to athletes, and Sanjuro's description, "structure, relaxation, alignment...etc," that will keep things simple (relatively).

so, I have yet to hear any valid description of internal training really.
    To me, "internal" means you're doing something different from strictly external movement.

Anyone can do external. You just move and do it.

Therefore "internal" has to have another component; that which makes it internal.

Usually this is qi.

For example, a regular palm strike vs. a palm strike with qi.

I've never seen any quantifiable difference. There needs to be some sort of double blind study, but I don't think that's possible in this case.

People who do the internal stuff say they can "feel" a difference, so maybe there is something to that.

I've also never seen a qigong tric... er, demo, that couldn't be replicated with good (external) conditioning, proper leverage, and body mechanics.

internal/external is a crock and in all my years I have never been given a valid explanation of it. I accept it as divisions of martial arts, particularly chinese and that's about it. Internal = bagua, taiji and xingyi
    Agreed for the most part.

I mean, I've generally come to accept that "internal means there's a qi component" or sometimes, a lack of external component. For example, "internal iron body" is conditioning the body to take strikes without actually hitting the body during training (beats me how this would be done. I've only heard about it. I've seen some demos claiming to be this, but they were all flexing their abs and other muscles in the bodies at the moment of impact which is *gasp* the same way anyone takes a strike).

Bagua, taiji, xingyi are "internal" because they seek to increase one's power through qi development rather than increase one's power through things like weight lifting, pushups, etc.

When you have developed your qi, you can hit harder, or so the story goes.

Also, as an added anomaly, there is the most amount of blah blah blah and the least amount of fitness and ability to fight coming from so called internal martial arts. which only casts further dim light on that concept.
    This * 100. Absolutely agree.

visualisation is not inherently internal.
    So visualization takes place outside your body?

You cannot train your organs to do anything different than what they already do. In rare cases, you'll find a holy man who can reputedly slow his heart rate and there are natural outliers who can do this without training at all. But good lucj finding a living example who can readily demonstrate any of that.
    Dude,
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biofeedback

You really shouldn't be allowed near a computer when you're this drunk.

Proper structure doesn't make something internal.

You need proper structure to deadlift and squat without hurting yourself, but powerlifting isn't an internal art.

Now, if the lifters were lifting the weight with their qi...

Quote Originally Posted by wenshu View Post

Dude,

Visualizing a movement has been shown to fire the same neurons as actually doing the movement.

I agree visualization is a very beneficial technique. I do it when I cannot train, and also when preparing for something like a powerlifting meet. It helps maintain neurological efficiency for a movement.

It turns out the old advice of "see yourself doing it" was actually based in truth.

Is that "internal" training?

I don't believe so, not in the way that I've come to understand "internal" from a CMA viewpoint.

Mental, yes.

Internal, no.

That doesn't mean visualization takes place outside your body By that logic, weight lifting is also internal because the muscles are contracting inside your body.

Quote Originally Posted by IronFist View Post
    Proper structure doesn't make something internal.

You need proper structure to deadlift and squat without hurting yourself, but powerlifting isn't an internal art.

Now, if the lifters were lifting the weight with their qi...
    Aren't they though(the best one's anyway)? So how do they train that?

Quote Originally Posted by IronFist View Post
    Bagua, taiji, xingyi are "internal" because they seek to increase one's power through qi development rather than increase one's power through things like weight lifting, pushups, etc.
    You're just regurgitating the myths. Bagua, taiji, xingyi all employ strength and conditioning, anyone telling you otherwise is selling something.

Quote Originally Posted by ShaolinDan View Post
    Aren't they though(the best one's anyway)? So how do they train that?
    Aren't they what? I'm not sure what you're asking.

using 'qi.'

Let's not argue about the definition of internal vs external, or qi, it will never end...Just looking for the Western training methods that correspond to (or don't) Eastern 'internal' methods whatever, you[the poster] think that means...

Quote Originally Posted by wenshu View Post

Dude,

lifting weight takes place outside the body? punching is not inherent to the structural platform delivering it?

the body is a whole. visualisation is of mind. Is that inside or outside the body? I say it is both because it is mind. Mind sees what is far, hears what is hidden and is the sensory perception device that the body uses. It sits inside your skull but is engaged fully in the exterior world. so, is it internal?

biofeedback is what it is. You can calm yourself and relax the whole body. BUt you can't hold your breath by will alone until you are dead, it is impossible to do this as your body will autonomously start up again whether you consciously participate or not.

You need to keep your sharp tongue tethered in your head when making comments sometimes.
    Kung Fu is good for you.