Thread: Boxing Eye Opener

Boxing Eye Opener

In a recent QA session, 2x hw world champion Shannon Briggs made the statement:

"90% of the fighters live below the poverty line. there is only a few lucky ones."

bitter reality, right there.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Does this mean you're NOT going to pay me back the $5 USA $8 Canandian?
    "if its ok for shaolin wuseng to break his vow then its ok for me to sneak behind your house at 3 in the morning and bang your dog if buddha is in your heart then its ok"-Bawang

"I get what you have said in the past, but we are not intuitive fighters. As instinctive fighters, we can chuck spears and claw and bite. We are not instinctively god at punching or kicking."-Drake

"Princess? LMAO hammer you are such a pr^t"-Frost

Quote Originally Posted by Hebrew Hammer View Post
    Does this mean you're NOT going to pay me back the $5 USA $8 Canandian?
    Yes. But, I've sent diplomats to work out some sort of fair trade deal whereby I give you two lunches spread out over 15 semesters. I'm sure we'll find a way around this crushing debt situation...
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    In a recent QA session, 2x hw world champion Shannon Briggs made the statement:

"90% of the fighters live below the poverty line. there is only a few lucky ones."

bitter reality, right there.
    Of course, outside of the top 10 ( and in some cases top 5), there are no serious pay checks to be had.
    The big money has always been for the champ and the next few guys in line.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    "There is only a few lucky ones."
    Good thing Mr Briggs made good money in boxing, as he doesn't appear to have had a very good education.

But a huge part of that statistic is that alot of boxers start out in poverty. Middle class and rich kids don't generally decide to make a career in boxing.

its the same in MMA, there might be money in the combat sports but most of it goes to the promoters, organisations and TV, fighters get very very little, heck most MMA pros and boxers still have to work full time jobs

I would not wish to sell my brain cells so cheaply.
    "Look, I'm only doing me job. I have to show you how to defend yourself against fresh fruit."

For it breeds great perfection, if the practise be harder then the use. Sir Francis Bacon

the world has a surplus of self centered sh1twh0res, so anyone who extends compassion to a stranger with sincerity is alright in my book. also people who fondle road kill. those guys is ok too. GunnedDownAtrocity

Quote Originally Posted by BJJ-Blue View Post
    Good thing Mr Briggs made good money in boxing, as he doesn't appear to have had a very good education.

But a huge part of that statistic is that alot of boxers start out in poverty. Middle class and rich kids don't generally decide to make a career in boxing.
    That seems to be a trend actually.
    It would seem that a lot of people in poor socio-economic conditions do not have access to a higher education and therefore, it seems their only path is to use what they have and what they can develop for a lot less than tuition and 4 years of college.

middle class and up probably have a repulsion for actual fighting but find it amusing to watch and I have no doubt there is a high percentage who view fighting as primitive and lower than what they want to be status wise.

Of course, there are those who enjoy it as a path as well, but sports is like this across the board in so many ways. There just aren't a lot of rocket scientists that are fighters or sports players. such is life.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

true men fight, the rest are just women pretending to be men!
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.