Thread: Exotic Wooden Dummys

Exotic Wooden Dummys

What's your idea of the perfect non human training partner? Post up videos or pictures of the nicest wooden dummys you have seen!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6uOVx...BTlOnWzLcBSvhu
    Hand Crafted Wooden Dummies at Affordable Prices!

Shaolinhouse.com

All of the dummies I have seen are made from heavy hardwoods, walnut is a lot lighter and softer than most hardwoods, iron wood would make a good dummy.

I think walnut is almost like using pine , but a little better than pine in strength and looks.

Beau D' Ark, horse apple, Hedge apple, is a member of the mulberry family. The wood is super hard and will last for centuries. I have seen 100 year old fence posts that were still not rotted even the end in the ground. I have seen only one dummy made of this wood, mostly because it is difficult to find a strait piece over 2 feet long. Because I was helping make it, the quality was poor. I have an ironwood trunk that is curing as I type, and I plan on making the arms with the same wood.
    I like to use heavy seagrass rope to suspend the dummy. It will slightly turn, but with great resistance. I have used PVC and flexable pipe, and it did an excellent job, just the quality was not there. Wood just looks much better.
    Jackie Lee

That American black walnut dummy in your video is GORGEOUS, especially considering the fact that there's no stain on it.

My dream dummy and luk dim boon gwan will both be made out of purple heart. This will happen when I win the lottery.
    Last edited by WingChunABQ; 01-29-2012 at 10:43 AM.

IMO, good dummy = any non-laminated, solid hard wood (beautiful grain is an added bonus) dummy that can withstand indoor or outdoor use.

I personally really like buick yips monk jongs...
    Fut Hong Wing Chun Kuen (a.k.a. Invisible Buddha Fist Wing Chun), Northern New Jersey
    IBFWC @ youtube
    BBL28888 @ youtube

"Everybody's gotta plan, until they get hit!" - Mike Tyson

"Rule number 1: Don't get hit. Rule number 2: Remember rule number one."- Sifu Joseph Ng

"Pure or Impure Wing Chun, whatever beats an opponent is good Wing Chun" - pg 50, Wing Chun Warrior: The True Tales of WCKF Master Duncan Leung