Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Joe Son, of UFC III, gets life in prison

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    please dont drag the MMA v TCMA bit into this, he was and is a piece of you know what, no need to say anything about MMA, TCMA has plenty of thugs to
    This is true. I think Gene has a big list of thugs, weirdos, pedophiles, robbers, etc.
    All connected to various martial arts.

And we are talking UFC 4 here. So, hardly what I would call MMA except for teh fact that they took a karate guy and threw him in the ring with a boxer, BAM! Mixed martial arts.

The early UFC's actually showed just how wide the variety fo martial arst reallyw as and it also exemplified why guys with big mouths should just STFU when it came to putting up. lol (Remembers Fred Ettish)

However, there have been a couple of murderers, 3 or so rapists pointed out in the mma world recently and a lot of spousal abuse too and some suicides. I don't think there is pursuit of spiritual maturity associated with mma practice.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

If you teach someone how to hurt people, and make them physically capable of doing so, yet impart no ethics regarding those abilities, you are setting yourself up for a certain % of your students ending up in a negative violent occurance.

this works for any violent practice, not just mma
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    If you teach someone how to hurt people, and make them physically capable of doing so, yet impart no ethics regarding those abilities, you are setting yourself up for a certain % of your students ending up in a negative violent occurance.

this works for any violent practice, not just mma
    i agree. i think mma needs to be more responsible.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    i agree. i think mma needs to be more responsible.
    why? seriously what is it with people thinking they needs to be a spiritual side to MA did they see too much karate kid when they were younger? most TCMA arts were designed to kill, and those that learned them did so because...well they needed or wanted to use them, not all of them were body guards a good number of teachers who came to the west were hired thugs for the triads or guys who needed to leave home quickly hardly men of moral character

i would argue that in teaching respect for the tap, teaching you to fight to the agreed rules and most importantly teaching you how to deal with getting your butt handed to you by someone 20kg lighter MMA is as responsible as any TCMA art it just doesnt wrap it up in esoteric ways

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    why? seriously what is it with people thinking they needs to be a spiritual side to MA did they see too much karate kid when they were younger? most TCMA arts were designed to kill, and those that learned them did so because...well they needed or wanted to use them, not all of them were body guards a good number of teachers who came to the west were hired thugs for the triads or guys who needed to leave home quickly hardly men of moral character

i would argue that in teaching respect for the tap, teaching you to fight to the agreed rules and most importantly teaching you how to deal with getting your butt handed to you by someone 20kg lighter MMA is as responsible as any TCMA art it just doesnt wrap it up in esoteric ways
    I don't agree. Good sportsmanship is not the same as tempered character in a broader sense.

I also don't think that one's spirituality or active conscience is addressed adequately in typical martial arts classes no matter where they are. It's used of course, it has to be to function, but it isn't really refined in any way such as the methods of meditation and service will provide.

The full offerings of the limbs of yoga aren't given in an average yoga studio either, just the asanas and some breathing exercises.

anyway, growth will come to those who pursue it regardless of the path they choose. If someone wants to pursue spirituality, then martial arts is kind of a weird starting point...
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    I don't agree. Good sportsmanship is not the same as tempered character in a broader sense.

I also don't think that one's spirituality or active conscience is addressed adequately in typical martial arts classes no matter where they are. It's used of course, it has to be to function, but it isn't really refined in any way such as the methods of meditation and service will provide.

The full offerings of the limbs of yoga aren't given in an average yoga studio either, just the asanas and some breathing exercises.

anyway, growth will come to those who pursue it regardless of the path they choose. If someone wants to pursue spirituality, then martial arts is kind of a weird starting point...
    i agree, i dont think either addresses it nor was designed to, just that MMA addresses it in its way just as well as TCMA does, which is not very well

I also agree its a weird starting point