Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: WC Kicking

[
    The word we use is 'gerk', which is the common character for 'foot', so a 'dil gerk', as an example is describing the action/movement of the foot! As far as I'm aware there is no word for 'kick' in Wing Chun, just as there is no word for 'punch' because kuen means fist

This is why some of the older Masters would say "There are no kicks in Wing Chun!!" Just a play on words, but I hope that answers your question.
    Fair enough but fist/punch foot/kick its just a difference in terminology to me

It totally depends on who I'm training with. Most can not take it, as you must know lifting the legs all the time if **** exhausting lol!! I was an avid Karate kid who used to kick vertically all the time, with all the spins n sh!t way before all this modern 720 madness lol!! So when I got into the Chun I couldn't understand why everyone, for want of a better word, 'waddled' everywhere!!
    Well i got the "waddle" when i started, but i still love kicking. And the waddle does lead to a gerk doesnt it

Wing chun without leg & footwork will not work. the body should be used in a integrated way but as basics seperate the movements it shows when people don't have a good understanding of the whole system.

Paul
    www.moifa.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by GlennR View Post
    Fair enough but fist/punch foot/kick its just a difference in terminology to me
    No, I would say incorrect translation but I hear Ya What I do find is that if you treat the terms 'loosely' and don't care for them 9 times out of 10 you will be hard pressed to actually have the correct Wing Chun terminology altogether.

Say, for example, what are the actual names of all the Wing Chun kicks?

I know there will be variations to terms, as well as numbers, but let's start with 4 (that should be easy enough for everyone here I think!)

Well i got the "waddle" when i started, but i still love kicking. And the waddle does lead to a gerk doesnt it
    I suppose Man, I still coach the waddle at the very beginning, and revisit it later when the hips, knees and ankles are more refined so you can see the evolution into, what has recently been termed as, Wing Chuns 'running horse'!!
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

Gerk can mean foot or leg.
    腳 - http://humanum.arts.cuhk.edu.hk/Lexi...h.php?q=%B8%7D

In a martial context it can also mean kick. Just like "tui" can mean leg or kick.

腿 - http://humanum.arts.cuhk.edu.hk/Lexi...rch.php?q=%BBL

Thanks Ian
    Yep, im pretty much all of the above as well.
    And i agree, the kicks are great.... i just think they are somewhat neglected by a lot of people
    I agree Glenn, very overlooked on the most part and then comically added to elsewhere. I guess the sheer simplicity of the kicks and the fact that they look even less spectacular than the hands leads many to either ignore them or to supplement them with additions from MT, karate, TKD etc.
    Last edited by wingchunIan; 09-13-2011 at 07:47 AM. Reason: typo in Glenn's name
    A clever man learns from his mistakes but a truly wise man learns from the mistakes of others.

Wing Chun kung fu in Redditch
    Worcestershire Wing Chun Kuen on facebook

Quote Originally Posted by LoneTiger108 View Post
    The word we use is 'gerk', which is the common character for 'foot', so a 'dil gerk', as an example is describing the action/movement of the foot! As far as I'm aware there is no word for 'kick' in Wing Chun, just as there is no word for 'punch' because kuen means fist
    I agree with the sentiment about the leg techniques being more than just kicks (all of the things that CFT mentioned plus knees, deflections and footwork etc) but this thread was specifically about kicking and although I know its really important to some, I really struggle with the insistence that terminology is so important. Translation and terminology are one of the biggest causes of division in wing chun (along with ego, money etc etc). For the sake of this thread can we just agree that if it looks like a kick, feels like a kick and has the effect of a kick its a kick.
    A clever man learns from his mistakes but a truly wise man learns from the mistakes of others.

Quote Originally Posted by CFT View Post
    Gerk can mean foot or leg.
    腳 - http://humanum.arts.cuhk.edu.hk/Lexi...h.php?q=%B8%7D

In a martial context it can also mean kick. Just like "tui" can mean leg or kick.

腿 - http://humanum.arts.cuhk.edu.hk/Lexi...rch.php?q=%BBL
    Just as sau/hand can mean arm eh?!

Quote Originally Posted by wingchunIan View Post
    For the sake of this thread can we just agree that if it looks like a kick, feels like a kick and has the effect of a kick its a kick.
    Yes

But I'm still waiting for a comprehensive list (that I do expect to be familiar to Wing Chun students, using Wing Chun terminology!) because, believe it or not, as much as you think the language divides us all (which it does to an extent when you start talking of writing it in English!) it will be the language that finally unites us all!!

Just my end of day rant, so please no offence intended to anyone who can't count to ten!
    Last edited by LoneTiger108; 09-13-2011 at 09:50 AM.
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

Yes

But I'm still waiting for a comprehensive list (that I do expect to be familiar to Wing Chun students, using Wing Chun terminology!) because, believe it or not, as much as you think the language divides us all (which it does to an extent when you start talking of writing it in English!) it will be the language that finally unites us all!!

Just my end of day rant, so please no offence intended to anyone who can't count to ten!

Yat yi saam sei ng lok chat baat gou sahp

Yes

No offence taken. My understanding is that even amongst native cantonese speakers the different lineages have different names for the same techniques and usually show and tell is the best means of communication but difficult over the web!
    Anyway to start your list (ignore incorrect romanisation)
    jic gerk
    tek gerk
    wang gerk
    pak gerk
    would be my first four.....

Quote Originally Posted by k gledhill View Post
    Yat yi saam sei ng lok chat baat gou sahp
    Impressive Kev! Now tell me your curriculum!
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

No offence taken. My understanding is that even amongst native cantonese speakers the different lineages have different names for the same techniques and usually show and tell is the best means of communication but difficult over the web!
    jic gerk
    tek gerk
    wang gerk
    pak gerk
    Haven't heard/read 'tek' before but I'm familiar with the other three as they're terms used in CK aren't they?

Have you got diu gerk? Sow gerK? Chit gerk?
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

Impressive Kev! Now tell me your curriculum!
    In what language ?

Haven't heard/read 'tek' before but I'm familiar with the other three as they're terms used in CK aren't they?

Have you got diu gerk? Sow gerK? Chit gerk?
    Try tranalating in english too, or use.

jic gerk
    tek gerk
    wang gerk
    pak gerk
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Also{1. jing gurk =strike with the top of the heel just below the arch
    2. wang gurk = strike with the outside of the heel on the little toe side
    3. soo gurk = strike with the inside of the arch
    4. yaai sut gurk = strike with the middle of the heel downward
    5. tiu gurk = strike with the instep with the toes pointed
    6. jut gurk = strike with the lower calf and achilles tendon
    7. tai sut = strike with the top or side of the knee with the leg bent
    8. chai gurk = strike downward with the knife edge of the foot
    -----------------------------------------
    In addition to striking motions there also others including pak gurk, bong gurk and wu gurk and huen gurk. tan gurk, fook gurk-- all have their own characteristics. All this is separate and is in addition to all the ma-s, stances/footwork/stepping/turning in different directions.

Good luck with everyone's training.

joy chaudhuri

Quote Originally Posted by Vajramusti View Post
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Also{1. jing gurk =strike with the top of the heel just below the arch
    2. wang gurk = strike with the outside of the heel on the little toe side
    3. soo gurk = strike with the inside of the arch
    4. yaai sut gurk = strike with the middle of the heel downward
    5. tiu gurk = strike with the instep with the toes pointed
    6. jut gurk = strike with the lower calf and achilles tendon
    7. tai sut = strike with the top or side of the knee with the leg bent
    8. chai gurk = strike downward with the knife edge of the foot
    -----------------------------------------
    In addition to striking motions there also others including pak gurk, bong gurk and wu gurk and huen gurk. tan gurk, fook gurk-- all have their own characteristics. All this is separate and is in addition to all the ma-s, stances/footwork/stepping/turning in different directions.

Good luck with everyone's training.

joy chaudhuri
    Hi Joy
    Im interested, how do you train the application of these?
    Drills?
    Sparring?
    Forms?

GlennR