Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Old style "village" Hung Kuen? What forms are these?

Old style "village" Hung Kuen? What forms are these?

I could do w/out the music in the background(unless noone watching this hears it and it's just my computer acting zonko).

Anyway..

The man in this video is the late Grandmaster Lao Kim(parts remind me of GGFFK, whereas others remind me of Lau Ga Kuen).

Does anyone know what Hung Kuen sets these are? Thanks to whomever posted them. Resolution makes it hard to decipher, but intesting moves.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQKpO9cAC4Q

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-_3FOtXOtc

i cant watch the videos in germany because of music rights..would love to see them..

heres another one of Lao kim
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1trPgnXXy3s

i know he taught a village style of hung kuen,he was famous in the 70s in chinatown manila,philippines....

Sadly Village Hung looks like every other style supposedly taught in Taishan/Toisaan/ 台 山; actually, one of those lu looks similar one that I do in fojiaquan.

Just watching the videos, this is historically from a period between original very short stance short fits hung fist and the later famous 'tiger and crane" Wong Fei Hung Ga style

There are a couple of opinions why "Hung" as a name is attached to so many lineages, but the quick story is, there was a lot of short hand kung fu in Guangdong, Guangxi (and even Fukien) that later adopted more "long hand"

By the time of Wong Fei Hung, the long hand, and not just the hand but the footwork and kicks, had so influenced it we got entirely different systems
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

for some reason I always think of wen zhou as Fukien but it isn't it's in zhejiang

As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

For some there is a difference between Hung Kuen and Hung Ga.
    Some view Hung Ga as a more family oriented system based almost exclusively on the teachings of WFH.
    They view HK as the original system before it was modified by WFH.
    Not sure how much there is to that and don't really care all the much to be honest.
    But I do notice that the HK I do from my lineage in Macao doesn't always "add up" the the WFH lineages.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

It's more to make life easier, you call WFH version hung Ga and all the other assorted styles hung Kyuhn

not much that it matters

I learned some of this style back in mid eighties from a teacher in Long Island.There was a picture of Lao Kim in the school .Those sets look real familiar.
    First smooth,then fast.
    Smooth is fast.

Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    It's more to make life easier, you call WFH version hung Ga and all the other assorted styles hung Kyuhn

not much that it matters
    Bik Da.

what's that? three of them already?

ok then;

Bik Fu.

BIK FUUUUUU!!!

"Bik Da.

Bik Fu."

Tai Gik Yaahn..so are those the names of sets? (in the videos that is). Is Bik Da and Bik Fu the names of forms?

Ye She..did you learn those sets from the instructor?

As for the other replies..Thank you..but to reiterate please:

Does anyone know the names of the forms? It's somewhat hard for me to decipher because the resolution is old 8MM film.

Taai Gihk is referring to an inside joke

I know the Long Island instructor referred to, he really ripped tons of people off with piles of bull crap

I studied "hung fist" (older style) with both CTS and later for a short period of time with a guy called "iron head" (he was a chi kung guy who did all the hard chi kung tricks)

"iron head"'s version of Hung Kyuhn was very old style, very narrow stances, very short hand techniques, short sets that were confined to a very close area

HOWEVER, the sets were often not "set" as much as "concept" - ie he got the point where it wasn't "what is next" but rather "what do you want to be next" - not the typical kung fu that most people are used to

decided to start a new thread with something you might all be interested in

Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    Taai Gihk is referring to an inside joke

I know the Long Island instructor referred to, he really ripped tons of people off with piles of bull crap
    yeah boy do I know 4 years worth
    that said,
    I always thought the fella was teaching us to do the forms wrong, like too staccato or choppy
    now there is the GM playing the forms just like I loined em all the way back then .
    BTW I never learned anthing there I could actully fight with.
    oh the folly of youth............
    as for the names of the forms........dont nkow the names of those forms
    there was sip de kune (sap ji) lien wa kune (combination form) a form called dragon tiger and salute kwan yin form there were more ........but ***etabaatit
    ancient hstry!
    First smooth,then fast.
    Smooth is fast.