Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Where are all the Complete Monkey Style systems?

ginosifu,

B.Tunks has offered something that you may want to research and that is the migratory patterns of people. People often get into the "from the north to the south" when it comes to some styles. Why not from the south to the north?

I think Taiwan still maintains monkey styles from Fukien province. Of major importance are the fingers-- for stabs and thrusts and they still train for that.

mickey

Friends,

To set the record straight:

1. Our style has nothing to do with Tongbeiquan. It looks and moves nothing like it.
    2. The style was originally a marriage of Northern Shaolin basics, Di Tang ground fighting and Monkey Boxing.
    3. It was passed to me as Monkey Boxing (Houquan). I changed the name to Angry Monkey Boxing (Nu Hou Quan) because the name of the first form is Angry Monkey Exits the Cave (Nu Hou Chu Dong).
    4. I have no idea what type of monkey/ape the style was originally based on. The style is tailless in that none of the moves mimic the actions of a monkey's tail.
    5. The style consists of three empty hand sets, plus weapon sets.
    6. I learned the style in my early twenties (late 70s) when I was too dumb to ask the right questions I would now ask an instructor and too broke to afford a Super 8 or VHS recorder to record my training.
    Last edited by mooyingmantis; 09-15-2011 at 05:59 PM.
    Richard A. Tolson
    https://www.patreon.com/mantismastersacademy

There are two types of Chinese martial artists. Those who can fight and those who should be teaching dance or yoga!

53 years of training, 43 years of teaching and still aiming for perfection!

Recovering Forms Junkie! Even my twelve step program has four roads!

FTR, doesn't look like TB to me either from what I've seen. More like TLQ.

Quote Originally Posted by ginosifu View Post
    Tai Tsu created a Monkey or just practiced a Monkey style? Was it a whole system or just a form?
    It is my understanding he practiced an existing system, or several of them. Sal may debate me, but I have had more than one lineage or branch of Tai Tzu tell me it had 8 core sets.

I know Shaolin preserved one set. They didn't get it from him though. They had to go to the town he learned it form, and get it form them. I think they made the set though. It was probably just loose techniques when he did them.

One of the Generals that was in the military before Zhao Kuang Yin was Emperor did a type of monkey style based on a Gibbon called Tong Bi Quan. Since they were freinds, many people assume this was the Monkey system he was known for. I feel that is probably correct as they were of similar rank in addition to being freinds. They would have known the same stuff.

There are a number of Tong Bi sets preserved at Shaolin. These are supposed to be that system.

This Gibbon based style does not 'Look' like a Monkey, or ape style. This is because it uses the body mechanics of the Gibbon, but does not imitate the way it fights or acts.

Zhao Kuang Yin developed his Hong Quan system (Flooding Fist), which looks almost exactly like the Tong Bi of his freind to me. The two arts are also generally paired together when listed, which leads me to believe they are intimately ties together.

If you put the forms all in the same curriculum, I cannot tell them apart actually. They look like the same system to me.

This is the set from Zhao Kuang Yin. Shaolin did not get it form him though. They got it form the same village he did. That is the history as I understand it.

Quote Originally Posted by RD'S Alias - 1A View Post
    This is the set from Zhao Kuang Yin.
    From the death of Zhao Kuangyin until the first NON fiction mention of a martial art descended from him passed a period of about 500 years.

Here is the quote of Monkey Boxing from the original Ming Dynasty Book.
    Monkey Boxing 36 Roads
    It comes from the 8th scroll. Here is a listing of the contents, which you can see do not include much on martial arts.
    Different military tactics of the time including boats of many types, fire, marines etc

卷八上
      杂著:兵器总论、火器论、处置焰硝议、制火球法附录。海船论、福船论、沙船论、黄鱼船议、官兵议、水兵 议、水操法论、水战陆战不同论、御海洋论、海程论、洋山记、潮候利害论、开互市辨、论屯田、守城论、无城堡 而守之之法论。

Kind of dissapointing for us, though what he had to say on Longfist was unique. More later....

Quote Originally Posted by B.Tunks View Post
    FTR, doesn't look like TB to me either from what I've seen. More like TLQ.
    Though a couple moves look similar to TLQ, the moves are played quite differently. Different feel, different flow. Plus the system strategies are quite different.

My introduction to TLQ did not happen till about seven years after my introduction to Houquan. Though it was a few similarities between the two that first piqued my interest in TLQ.
    Last edited by mooyingmantis; 09-16-2011 at 02:28 PM.
    Richard A. Tolson
    https://www.patreon.com/mantismastersacademy

There are two types of Chinese martial artists. Those who can fight and those who should be teaching dance or yoga!

53 years of training, 43 years of teaching and still aiming for perfection!

Recovering Forms Junkie! Even my twelve step program has four roads!

mi tsung i

Let's not forget mi tsung i, the lost track style, as a complete monkey system.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LeYpQqxTFs

Quote Originally Posted by phoenixdog View Post
    Let's not forget mi tsung i, the lost track style, as a complete monkey system.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LeYpQqxTFs
    Thanks for the vid I had never seen any Lost Track before!
    少林黑虎門
    Sil Lum Hak Fu Mun
    RIP Kuen "Fred" Woo (sifu)

Very interesting forms! I would like to see a break down of the rest of the curriculum.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qr3SDv8lpQ

start watching at 4:26 till 5:20 and you will get in depth theory.

Actually I like this movie, maybe because it was one of the first I saw as a kid.

Shaolin monk Bai, Yi-feng combined monkey style with 4 other arts to form what is still known today as Ng Chor Kuen or 5 Ancestors Fist.

The 5 Ancestors Fist has Monkey in but again, is it just a form?, just some techniques? or a whole Monkey system?

ginosifu
    5 Ancestors include forms specific to each ancestor and we also have forms which include all 5 ancestors. Is there a complete monkey system within 5 ancestors? I don't know....

Here is a link to one of 5 Ancestor's monkey forms
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujd1fKSnh_s

Well after watching some of these "traditional" monkey sets the more I question people knowing what is going on.

These forms seem like they imitate a monkey before and after a fight or during every day life. Great acting, that is for sure. But, just acting.

If you were going to have a pure monkey FIGHTING system I would say that modern Judo or wrestling would be it. If you watch video that is how monkeys fight.

These guys immitate monkeys in everyday life but not fighting.

If I recall correctly, mooying said his forms do not immitate monkeys.....which would be correct in my opinion.

Getting on topic for the PRAYING MANTIS forum......I dont think that a mantis master really tries to look like a mantis....tiger master like a tiger or crane master like a crane. It is more about attitude and culture. That is it.

Praying mantis has the foot work of the monkey? Well I dont think it they really thought it was "monkey" foot work. A monkey or ape has the ability to walk up right....so that may be where it comes from. "Fast and agile footwork" would probably be the best description....its just that people do not understand things when it comes to culture....and yes I know about the "monkey king" , santa claus and wang lang.

This is an example of a monkey fight. Why would anyone want to immitate that?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7-1p870wLw

Gorillas in training but not actually fighing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mov-Z...eature=related

Watch this and tell me that Judo and wresting shouldnt be the monkey style! Single leg take downs traditional throws and escapes...good stuff! I love the way he initiates the attack at 22 seconds inthe vid!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cu_JS...eature=related