Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Martial FAIL

Hybrid View

Martial FAIL

I couldn't quite find an appropriate thread to post this. Our subforum here has a lot of interesting threads - I need to compile them some day.
    Kung Fu Student Beaten in Road Rage Attack: Cops
    By Kelly Bayliss and Dan Stamm
    | Tuesday, Sep 13, 2011 | Updated 6:36 PM EDT

A Delaware County man says he was brutally beaten during a road rage incident following a martial arts class Saturday.
    advertisement

A Delco man is behind bars after allegedly beating a Kung Fu student to the point of unconsciousness on Saturday.

Eric Bailey, 36, of Windermere Avenue in Lansdowne was arrested around 245 p.m. Saturday for the incident.

The victim, 37-year-old Anthony Alleva, called the whole thing a case of road rage. He told NBC Philadelphia that he was walking his bike home from Kung Fu class when he and Bailey, who was driving at the time, had words.

Alleva says that Bailey got out of his car, began attacking him and then drove away.

"I was attacked from behind," Alleva told NBC Philadelphia. "I said, 'listen, pedestrians have the right of way and I'm in a crosswalk at an intersection."

A witness to the alleged beating got the car's license plate number and called police.

“He stated the subject on the bicycle had clearly lost the fight, but the driver continued to deliver punches and kicks [to his head],” according to a police statement in an affidavit obtained by the Delco Times.

Police say that the Alleva was fairly alert when they arrived, however, he lost consciousness on his way to the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania where he was treated for head injuries, including memory loss and a black eye.

"I'm in terrible pain... fractured the orbital socket -- it really sucks," Alleva said.

Alleva was released from the hospital Monday. His injuries could require surgery, he said.

The victim tells NBC Philadelphia that in Kung Fu, students are taught to walk away from confrontations.

Bailey, pictured on the left, contacted Yeadon Police, saying that Alleva called him a racial slur, prompting him to react.

He faces assault charges and was behind bars Tuesday in lieu of posting 10 percent of his $50,000 in bail.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Fuel for the fire? That TCMAs are dead?
    "if its ok for shaolin wuseng to break his vow then its ok for me to sneak behind your house at 3 in the morning and bang your dog if buddha is in your heart then its ok"-Bawang

"I get what you have said in the past, but we are not intuitive fighters. As instinctive fighters, we can chuck spears and claw and bite. We are not instinctively god at punching or kicking."-Drake

"Princess? LMAO hammer you are such a pr^t"-Frost

More like he just needs some better teaching in handling a situation of defense.

A case of getting ones ass kicked because one is too stupid to realize one is in a fight.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

I think that's the famous, mouth-writing-a-check-the-ass-can't-cash technique.
    "if its ok for shaolin wuseng to break his vow then its ok for me to sneak behind your house at 3 in the morning and bang your dog if buddha is in your heart then its ok"-Bawang

"I get what you have said in the past, but we are not intuitive fighters. As instinctive fighters, we can chuck spears and claw and bite. We are not instinctively god at punching or kicking."-Drake

"Princess? LMAO hammer you are such a pr^t"-Frost

I think its a case of "don't turn your back on someone who is angry at you". This guy could have been coming back from the firing range with a loaded AK instead of a Kung Fu school, and he could still get hit when he turns his back.
    Sith Legal Kung Fu is unstoppable.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    A case of getting ones ass kicked because one is too stupid to realize one is in a fight.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darthlawyer View Post
    I think its a case of "don't turn your back on someone who is angry at you". This guy could have been coming back from the firing range with a loaded AK instead of a Kung Fu school, and he could still get hit when he turns his back.
    Two real and connected reasons why so many people end up hurt in today's violent societies.

My guess is that the "kung fu" guy did not want to fight to start with and hoped to walk away to diffuse the situation. Of course, he gets zero points for situation assessment.

mantis guy?
    man
    if he wants to keep that stup!d haircut and all those tattooes, he should probably at least go study some of Chuck Liddell's Em Em Eh®
    sad thing is that it was probably nothing more than "sloppy brawling" that broke that dude's orbital.
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.
    -Jack Dempsey ch1 pg1 Championship Fighting

Karate Moves Don't Stop Thieves

A man told police his karate moves did not deter two men who barged into his apartment office and stole $400 from him Tuesday night.

The incident happened about 7:45 p.m. in the 2100 block of Watch Avenue. The 44-year-old victim told police he’d just returned from a store when two men knocked on his door and said he owed them money. He let them in and they made their way into his office, where they stole cash that was on his desk.

He told police he tried to use some of his karate moves on the men, but they hit him on the head, causing a small cut. He said they left and he didn’t remember much else.
    "The true meaning of a given movement in a form is not its application, but rather the unlimited potential of the mind to provide muscular and skeletal support for that movement." Gregory Fong

I couldn’t remember how to do it

Two Teens Arrested For Stealing 81-Yr-Old's iPhone, Shoving Him Into Tracks
    Andrew Wang (via NBC New York)

The 81-year-old man whose iPhone was stolen and then was shoved into Brooklyn subway tracks says that he's thankful to the subway riders in the station who helped him. Andrew Wang, who spent three days in the hospital after the incident at the Lorimer Street J train station, told the Daily News, "Other people came and helped me. It was God who helped. Thank God, I’m all right."

Wang, who walks with a cane, told the News that he was checking his iPhone on Friday morning. "Suddenly, the guy grabs my phone. I wouldn’t let him have it. We struggled and he got it, all that was left was the cover.... I yelled and chased him down the platform. I wanted other people on the platform to know that he robbed me." Then, "I chased him a little bit, and about 10 steps later, another guy just pushed me and I fell down."

Wang suffered a sprained ankle, cuts and bruises. He told the Post, "I learned kung fu when I was 10. I couldn’t remember how to do it." Here's video of Wang:

NBC New York reports that two teens, ages 15 and 17, were arrested and charges are pending. Wang also said, "They are young and have a lot of chances to do good. They can still turn their lives around. I wish only to get my iPhone back."
    He may not remember his kung fu, but at least he's forgiving.

Never stop practicing.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

I guess he never learned a cane form...
    "The true meaning of a given movement in a form is not its application, but rather the unlimited potential of the mind to provide muscular and skeletal support for that movement." Gregory Fong

a different kind of fail

This would really suck.
    14. 03. 12. - 09:00
    Kung Fu Frightening

Kung Fu expert Wei Hin was floored as he practiced his techniques in a town square - and fell straight through the paving stones down a 20ft hole.

Wei, 56 - from Xi'an, Shaanxi province, western China - explained: :"I exercise at the same spot every morning. But this time I felt the paving stone wobble and then the ground swallowed me up. It was a real shock."

"I was told later that the builders who had paved the square had built it over some old drains and it looks like they cut some corners by not filling them all in," added Wei, now recovering from multiple fractures.

Safety experts are now checking the rest of the square for other underground chambers.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

A sad tale

A cautionary tale too. If this report is true, Murugan failed on one of the most fundamental principles of the martial arts - be aware of your surroundings.

Martial arts expert killed by muggers
    June 5 2014 at 04:09pm
    By ISMAIL ADAM

Self-defence enthusiast Tyson Murugan was stabbed to death, possibly caught unawares as he was wearing earphones, as he walked home.

Durban - The family of a combat sport and self-defence enthusiast who was murdered for his cellphone while walking home in oThongathi (Tongaat) are trying to piece together his last moments.

They believe Tyson Murugan, 24, who was trained in self-defence and street-fighting techniques, might have been caught unawares by his assailants because he was listening to music on his earphones at the time of the vicious attack.

Murugan, of Fairbreeze, had been out exercising and was walking home from a nearby café when he was attacked on a walkway alongside Gopalall Hurbans Road on Tuesday night.

The aspiring mixed martial arts instructor and stunt choreographer was stabbed in the chest and stomach and died at the scene.

His cellphone was stolen.

Karna Murugan, 56, said on Wednesday that he was at the gym when he received a call at about 7pm telling him that his son had been stabbed.

“As I drove I kept thinking to myself, please God, don’t take his life. When I got there I just went numb. I saw Tyson lying on the ground with froth on the side of his mouth.

“The paramedics told me it’s too late – he is dead,” the tearful father said at the family home.

His other son, Mason, had broken the news of the stabbing to him, having been alerted by a neighbour who had seen Tyson lying on the ground, surrounded by a crowd. Mason said his brother had been listening to music on his BlackBerry when attacked and this might have distracted him.

“Tyson was one of the strongest people I came across. There must have been a group of people that attacked him because he could handle himself in any combat situation,” he said.

“I saw on my BBM that he was listening to music at the time of the incident so I assume robbers probably attacked him from behind and he possibly didn’t hear them.”

Mason said: “Tyson was actively involved in defence combat sports and was one of the first in the country to be involved with Defence Lab. This is an overseas organisation, which teaches defence fighting and combat methods.

“Tyson was a superb athlete and I find it difficult to believe that one or two people may have attacked him.

“He had even gone overseas to study the art and in November would have qualified as a Defence Lab instructor.”

Apart from his love for martial arts, Tyson had also begun training in stunt choreography and was taking acting classes.

He recently produced his own short film, The Cobra, which showed combat teaching methods, said Mason.

Police spokesman Captain Thulani Zwane said the motive for the murder was unknown and investigations were continuing.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

A good way to poke out an eye...

Lawsuit: Sword-fighting student sues instructor for stabbing him in eye and brain
    Updated Sep 6, 9:54 AM; Posted Sep 5

A pair of swords is pictured on Swordguild Portland's Facebook page. It's unclear what type of sword Jeremiah DuPrau alleges he was injured with during a March 2017 class.

A photo on Swordguild Portland's Facebook page shows two dueling people. They are also shown wearing protective gear.

Another photo from the Facebook page shows two people in combat.
    By Aimee Green agreen@oregonian.com
    The Oregonian/OregonLive

A 35-year-old man who says he was stabbed in the eye by his instructor during a sword-fighting class at the Milwaukie Elks Lodge has filed a $9 million lawsuit against his instructor and the organization that offered the class.

Jeremiah DuPrau describes in his lawsuit how his life has been irreparably changed: The sword not only pierced his eye but also his brain and shattered the bones of his face.

He now is legally blind, unable to see through his right eye and retaining only some of his vision in his left, according to his attorney, John Coletti.

DuPrau’s lawsuit lists the instructor of his sword class, Jason Romandelle Brown, as a defendant along with Swordguild Portland and the Elks’ Milwaukie Portland Lodge No. 142 as defendants. Brown couldn’t be reached for comment.

Sia Rezvani, a Portland attorney for Swordguild Portland, declined comment because of the pending litigation. Thomas Rask, a Portland attorney for the Elks lodge, also declined comment because of the active litigation.

DuPrau's lawyer said his client was attending his third class as a beginner student on March 9, 2017. That's when the instructor called DuPrau over to use as a prop to demonstrate a move for the rest of the class and jutted the sword into DuPrau's eye, according to the lawsuit.

Coletti said Brown didn’t warn DuPrau to put on his protective headgear and face screen beforehand.

“He’s unable to drive, unable to ride his bike, unable to hike,” Coletti said of DuPrau. “He actually had to give his dog away because he was unable to take care of it.”

DuPrau suffered a stroke after the sword entered his brain -- leaving the left side of his body partially paralyzed and making walking and balance difficult, Coletti said.

DuPrau worked as an educational aide for Portland Public Schools, Coletti said. School district officials couldn’t immediately verify whether DuPrau was back at work.

Read the lawsuit, filed last week, here.

-- Aimee Green

agreen@oregonian.com

o_aimee
    THREADS:
    Martial FAIL
    European Martial Arts (Armored combat: HEMA, HMB, IMCF, SCA, et.al)
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Just one question...

...did her son tap?

Woman accused of using Jiu Jitsu move to get cellphone from son
    by Gary Detman, Kristen Chapman Wednesday, October 17th 2018
    Tracy Shelley is facing a charge of child abuse. (PBSO)

BOYNTON BEACH, Fla. (CBS12) — A woman from Boynton Beach is facing a child abuse charge after police say she used a martial arts move to take away her son's cellphone.

Tracy Shelley told police since she and her husband separated, her son has not been following the house rules and has been disrespectful at her home.

According to the police report, Shelley said she went to get his cellphone since he'd been using it for several hours. He refused to give it up. Shelley said she put him in a "submission" hold using a Jiu Jitsu move with both her arms around his head and neck. He gave up the phone and she released the hold.

Investigators said the boy claimed he never lost consciousness but had red marks on his neck.

Shelley is free on bond, per court records.

CBS12 News knocked on Shelley’s door, but no one answered.

Neighbors say Shelley is a very nice woman, and it must have been a misunderstanding.

The conflict has since sparked a conversation about parenting and where to draw the line.

“Boy, I’ve never heard of anything like that," said Vicki Shall, a mother of two. "I can see disciplining and taking the phone away, but past that, something's not right.”

"It [the arrest] sounds a little extreme," said Patricia Knobel, another parent. "Parents have a right to discipline their kids, but obviously without hurting them.”

CBS12 News has requested the 911 call from Boynton Beach Police.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips