Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Martial FAIL

a different kind of fail

This would really suck.
    14. 03. 12. - 09:00
    Kung Fu Frightening

Kung Fu expert Wei Hin was floored as he practiced his techniques in a town square - and fell straight through the paving stones down a 20ft hole.

Wei, 56 - from Xi'an, Shaanxi province, western China - explained: :"I exercise at the same spot every morning. But this time I felt the paving stone wobble and then the ground swallowed me up. It was a real shock."

"I was told later that the builders who had paved the square had built it over some old drains and it looks like they cut some corners by not filling them all in," added Wei, now recovering from multiple fractures.

Safety experts are now checking the rest of the square for other underground chambers.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

A sad tale

A cautionary tale too. If this report is true, Murugan failed on one of the most fundamental principles of the martial arts - be aware of your surroundings.

Martial arts expert killed by muggers
    June 5 2014 at 04:09pm
    By ISMAIL ADAM

Self-defence enthusiast Tyson Murugan was stabbed to death, possibly caught unawares as he was wearing earphones, as he walked home.

Durban - The family of a combat sport and self-defence enthusiast who was murdered for his cellphone while walking home in oThongathi (Tongaat) are trying to piece together his last moments.

They believe Tyson Murugan, 24, who was trained in self-defence and street-fighting techniques, might have been caught unawares by his assailants because he was listening to music on his earphones at the time of the vicious attack.

Murugan, of Fairbreeze, had been out exercising and was walking home from a nearby café when he was attacked on a walkway alongside Gopalall Hurbans Road on Tuesday night.

The aspiring mixed martial arts instructor and stunt choreographer was stabbed in the chest and stomach and died at the scene.

His cellphone was stolen.

Karna Murugan, 56, said on Wednesday that he was at the gym when he received a call at about 7pm telling him that his son had been stabbed.

“As I drove I kept thinking to myself, please God, don’t take his life. When I got there I just went numb. I saw Tyson lying on the ground with froth on the side of his mouth.

“The paramedics told me it’s too late – he is dead,” the tearful father said at the family home.

His other son, Mason, had broken the news of the stabbing to him, having been alerted by a neighbour who had seen Tyson lying on the ground, surrounded by a crowd. Mason said his brother had been listening to music on his BlackBerry when attacked and this might have distracted him.

“Tyson was one of the strongest people I came across. There must have been a group of people that attacked him because he could handle himself in any combat situation,” he said.

“I saw on my BBM that he was listening to music at the time of the incident so I assume robbers probably attacked him from behind and he possibly didn’t hear them.”

Mason said: “Tyson was actively involved in defence combat sports and was one of the first in the country to be involved with Defence Lab. This is an overseas organisation, which teaches defence fighting and combat methods.

“Tyson was a superb athlete and I find it difficult to believe that one or two people may have attacked him.

“He had even gone overseas to study the art and in November would have qualified as a Defence Lab instructor.”

Apart from his love for martial arts, Tyson had also begun training in stunt choreography and was taking acting classes.

He recently produced his own short film, The Cobra, which showed combat teaching methods, said Mason.

Police spokesman Captain Thulani Zwane said the motive for the murder was unknown and investigations were continuing.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

That is indeed very sad.

However, if someone is distracted, it wouldn't take a group of people to take him down, regardless of his fighting skills. A lethal attack can happen in a split-second.

There's also a lot of people who walk around mesmerized by their iPhones, completely oblivious to their surroundings...many even step into and cross busy streets without even looking up, expecting everyone else to look out for them. One local guy very recently got hit and killed BY A TRAIN because he was so engrossed in his iPhone that he never saw nor heard it coming as he went around the warning gate and started to walk across the tracks. The train was not able to stop in time.

Sometimes, when walking out of a shopping center to my car, I've seen people, men and women, walking alone just ahead of me, completely lost in talking or texting on their phones, completely oblivious to me or anything else. The parking lots or structures are very big. If I had been a criminal with bad intent, they would never have known what hit them.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 06-05-2014 at 09:41 AM.

Sad, so very sad.
    Had a case here to, but the distraction was a cell phone.
    Person got beat and robbed but no stabbing.
    Was a MA too by the way.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Sad to hear this. Seems like a lot of the stories I hear, always involves a cell phone.

A horrible story

I really feel for Coope. Being hit by your own vodka bottle has gotta hurt deep. God**** yobs.

Dad battered by gang who gatecrashed daughter's 'girly night in' when it was posted on Facebook
    14:05, 26 FEB 2016
    BY LUCY VARLEY
    Mark Coope was hit with a bottle after he arrived at his Oldham home to find 25 youths who had seen the girly night posted on social media

Mark with daughter Shannon

A martial arts teacher was battered by a gang of drunken thugs after they gatecrashed his 14-year-old daughter’s ‘girly night in’ when it was posted on Facebook.

Company director Mark Coope, 54, had left daughter Shannon and five friends to enjoy pizza and a movie whilst he and his wife Rachel, 43, and his eldest daughter Heather, 22, went to a friend’s 60th birthday party.

But news of the ‘takeaway and chick flick’ night was posted on Facebook and a crowd of up to 25 teenage boys gatecrashed Mr Coope’s home in Oldham.

Mark was battered and left in a pool of blood

The engineering company boss - a black belt Ju-Jitsu master - rushed back home following a panic call from Shannon and ordered the yobs to leave only to be hit about the head with a bottle of vodka which had been taken from his drinks cabinet.

The thugs then fled the property leaving Mr Coope in a pool of blood.

He spent up to five hours in the Royal Oldham Hospital’s accident and emergency department where he was treated for a broken nose and various head wounds.

The youths, aged between 15 and 18, smashed up the front door, before helping themselves to Mr Coope’s collection of spirits and wines.

Shannon herself was hit in the face as she tried to stop her father being attacked.

Father of two Mr Coope, who is recovering at home, said: “If I wasn’t as strong as I am these stupid boys could have ended up facing a murder charge - given I was hit around the head with a glass bottle. I have never encountered anything like this before.

Mark, a black belt Ju-Jitsu master, was hit about the head with a bottle

“My daughter is a sensible girl and just wanted a fun, girlie night in with her best friends - but unfortunately they made a mistake by sharing it on Facebook and that information ended up in the wrong hands. Whatever some might say I don’t blame social media for what happened.

“This was all down to a lack of discipline and respect on the part of those thugs and you can’t blame Facebook for that. Youngsters should be able to share the fact that they are having a nice, care-free and fun time away from the grown ups.”

The incident occurred last week after Mr Coope - a Sensei at Samurai Ju-Jitsu Academy - left his daughter home alone for the very first time.

He added: “She was really quite ecstatic to be left home alone with her friends. She’s a sensible girl, so it was never a problem for her to invite some friends over and we trusted her completely and still do.

“I didn’t know much about what was going on, except she told me we needed to get home immediately. She then explained that a gang had broken into the house and were refusing to leave. She also told me that they had been helping themselves to my alcohol, which infuriated me. How dare they?

Shannon was enjoying a 'girly night in' with five friends when the gatecrashers arrived

“As soon as we pulled up, I could see a gang of lads scattered about the driveway. There were so many of them, I couldn’t even count them.

“I took two steps onto my driveway and suddenly, everything turned orange and I was on the floor. I knew that I was bleeding, because I could feel something trickling down the side of my head and onto my cheek.”

“I got up, turned to look at the lad who hit me and before I knew it, everything was orange and I was on the floor again, because somebody else had hit me from behind. I quickly realised I’d been glassed by my own bottle of vodka, which they’d happily helped themselves to.

“At that point, I was in survival mode. I think they were pretty shocked that after two nasty blows to the head, I’d actually gotten back onto my feet, and they quickly scarpered. But they could have killed me. I felt sick, and barely knew where I was.

“As a teacher of Ju-Jitsu I can teach people to defend themselves but there was very little anyone can do against such a cowardly attack. There was just too many of them and there was no way I could defend myself.

Mark Coope with injuries he sustained in the attack

“In hospital the doctors said they couldn’t believe I didn’t have a fractured skull. Those thugs had really laid into me, but luckily, I was fine. I can’t remember if I was smacked in the face or if I fell onto it, so I can’t explain the broken nose. I looked like the elephant man, my face was so swollen. But it could have been so much worse. I’m lucky to be alive.

“We’re not entirely sure how they found out where we lived, but we don’t blame our daughter or her friends for posting on Facebook. Why shouldn’t they post about the lovely time they’re having?

“It’s a shame that an event like this can happen so easily nowadays. An innocent, girly night in turned into bloody carnage, all because today’s yobs have no respect. They could have killed me, and they have left my daughter well and truly shaken. I doubt she’ll be in a hurry to arrange another ‘fun’ night home alone.”

A spokesman for Greater Manchester Police said: “A 54-year old man returned to his home to find a group of 20-25 youths outside in the street. A verbal altercation ensued and the man was assaulted before the offenders fled. Inquiries into the incident are ongoing.”
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

UFC fighter vs. gun

Former MMA Fighter Mikey Burnett and Son Shot While Exiting Tulsa Gym
    By Scott Polacek , Featured Columnist Mar 1, 2016

Jeff Chiu/Associated Press

Former UFC fighter Mikey Burnett and his son, Freddie, were reportedly shot in Tulsa, Oklahoma, on Monday night.

Tess Maune of News on 6 in Tulsa reported the story and noted both men "are expected to survive" the incident.

Maune cited a family member who said Burnett and Freddie were working out at a gym and had parked in a nearby parking lot. The police said two men attempted to rob them at their car. "We're told Freddie tried to fight off the suspected robbers when they held up his dad," Maune wrote.

Burnett was reportedly shot three times in the abdomen, while Freddie was shot in the leg.

Paighten Harkins of the Tulsa World reported both were taken to the hospital in the aftermath. Harkins also noted Freddie is only 18 years old.

"[Sergeant Robert] Rohloff said both victims' condition had stabilized," per Harkins.

Sara Whaley of Fox23 in Tulsa provided a look at the scene:

Sara Whaley Verified account
    ‏@FOX23SaraWhaley
    BREAKING: 31st Garn. RibCrib. PD says 2 shot in prkg lot by thieves trying to rob them. Suspects on loose. @FOX23

RETWEETS 6
    Pete BergerBig WillMark A HolderJeremie PoplinSuzanne Lake NadellDerrick Smith
    6:07 PM - 29 Feb 2016
    According to Sherdog, Burnett, who is from Tulsa, sported a 5-2 record in his career. He last appeared in a fight Jan. 8, 1999, when he beat Townsend Saunders at UFC 18.
    Wow, that sucks.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Slightly OT

Not really Kung Fu, but nekkid (and not in a good way )

There is vid but I'd give it a miss...

Bizarre footage shows cops tackling NAKED 'kung fu fighting' woman outside New York's Central Station
    17:54, 1 MAY 2016 UPDATED 17:54, 1 MAY 2016
    BY MIRROR.CO.UK

The two cops looked very unsure as to how they should deal with the bizarre situation

A pair of New York police officers were faced with an unusual challenge when they were confronted with a naked woman outside the city's Central Station.

The poor cops looked like they had no idea what to do as the large naked woman danced about, punching the air and kung fu kicking in their general direction.

One of the policeman attempted to stop the woman by putting a hand onto her back - but rather than halting, she spun around and threw a punch at him.

One of the policeman attempted to the restrain the woman - but she turned around and tried to punch him

After a while the woman appeared to have exhausted herself, leaning forward with her hands resting on her knees, before walking over to a nearby bench and sinking down into it, wiping her brow with the back of her hand.

The policemen hover nearby, clearly unsure as to how to react to the bizarre situation.

The naked woman danced about kicking and punching the air

After her brief rest the woman stood up and casually strolled away, as the cops followed cautiously behind her at a safe distance.

Read more: Woman causes traffic chaos climbing out of car sunroof and flashing her breasts

Mobile phone footage taken of the incident showed a police car pulling into shot - presumably to take the kung fu fighting exhibitionist away.

However, it was unclear what happened to the woman - or why she had decided to take her clothes off in the first place.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

So many stories...

Here's one of many that amused me.

Judo medalist beaten up while celebrating on Copacabana Beach
    Henry Bushnell Aug 9, 2016, 4:47 PM

Dirk van Tichelt won his first Olympic judo medal Monday. (Getty)

Dirk Van Tichelt probably didn’t envision one of the greatest days of his life ending in the hospital. But that’s exactly where the Belgian judoka found himself Monday night hours after winning his first-ever Olympic medal.

Van Tichelt won bronze in the 73-kg judo competition on Monday. Naturally, he went off to Copacabana Beach that night to celebrate the achievement. And that’s where things went awry.

Van Tichelt was reportedly assaulted by a thief on the famous beach, and was struck in the face. He was taken to the hospital after the incident.

The thief, who was reportedly Brazilian, came away with a cellphone, but, crucially, not with a bronze medal. That allowed Van Tichelt to take this epic picture the following day:

sporza ✔@sporza
    Dief in Rio steelt gsm en slaat Dirk Van Tichelt. Gevolg: blauw oog voor onze bronzen plak: http://sporza.be/permalink/1.2735240

2:40 PM - 9 Aug 2016
    58 58 Retweets 55 55 likes

The Belgian Olympic Committee released a statement confirming the details, and saying that Van Tichelt didn’t require treatment at the hospital. He appeared at a media event the next day with a black eye, and, undoubtedly, a smile on his face.

Van Tichelt now has more than just a medal to commemorate his Olympic success.
    Waiting for the "Olympic Judo doesn't work on the street" comment.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

So embarrassing...

It's exactly this sort of stuff that gives Kung Fu such a bad rep.

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

I don't know, I think that guys Constipated Crane was the perfect counter for that other guys Pregnant Yak technique.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

I thought it looked like Sleepwalking Bagua vs. Broken Arm Ape style.

Let's be fair now. Lame "kung fu" fights don't only happen in China.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Let's be fair now. Lame "kung fu" fights don't only happen in China.

I wish that's what all my encounters would have been like.