Thread: What's that rule again?

What's that rule again?

Respect yourself at all times?

Represent yourself at all times?

Protest yourself at all times?

Cheap is as cheap does?
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

quotes of a champion?

"I don't need (Manny) Pacquiao. With or without Pacquiao, every time Floyd Mayweather goes out there he's going to make over $70-million, period. I don't need him," Mayweather said.

The undefeated boxer once again questioned Pacquiao's achievements.

"Where was he (Pacquiao) in 96, 97, 98, 99, 2000, 2001, when I was dominating the game? Now when I'm 34 they say this guy wants to fight. They didn't ask me when I was in my twenties or when I was in my teens," Mayweather said.

Lol@ mayweather, isn't Manny in his 30s too?
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Floyd has never had any class, why start now? LOL !

To the delight of Filipinos everywhere, Floyd is perceived as afraid of Pac Man.
    Now that it comes to this kind of stuff , the jibba jabba, the ducking etc, I would be a little behind the times to not make this assessment myself.

Floyd will HAVE to fight Pacman.
    Or he'll fall into obscurity as a...dare I say it...coward?

Kung Fu is good for you.

Mayweather is that guy everybody loves to hate and he definitely plays the part. Whatever opinions people may have of him personally (an unqualified scumbag) he is without a doubt a supremely masterful technician. He is like some kind of boxing calculator, an engineer. All precision and percentages.

The worst thing about that fight and it was a great fight that was shaping up to be an even greater fight, was that before all the headbutting and making out it looked like Ortiz may have had an albeit slim but powerful chance at pulling off an upset. Up until he demonstrated himself to be a rank ass amateur.

The only thing unsportsmanlike about the whole thing was how utterly unprofessional Ortiz's conduct in the ring was. All that inauthentic contrition after that ridiculous Street Fighter 2 headbutt. How many times do you need to hug it out? Touch gloves and fight, asshole. How did such an amateur get a belt in the first place? I honestly don't even think I would call it a cheap shot; Mayweather took advantage of his opponent's mistake and isn't that what he is supposed to do? Is Mayweather supposed to hold back just because his opponent doesn't have the wherewithal to protect himself?

Ortiz could have survived the first shot and fought back; a true professional would have instinctually protected himself after the hook landed. Instead he stands there like a guy who just got off the bus at the wrong stop and has to ask the ref where he is. I think Mayweather was only expecting to get that first one off, he almost hesitates for a millisecond as if expecting a counter attack as is his style. Ok, maybe it was a little cheap, but I still can't help thinking that Ortiz pretty much got what he deserved. Really it was shrewd ringmanship that beat him the angry straight right was just punctuation.

I think all the outrage is because of the apparent savagery and viciousness of two hard unprotected shots. As Mayweather said: "This is the hurt business".

Quote Originally Posted by wenshu View Post
    Mayweather is that guy everybody loves to hate and he definitely plays the part. Whatever opinions people may have of him personally (an unqualified scumbag) he is without a doubt a supremely masterful technician. He is like some kind of boxing calculator, an engineer. All precision and percentages.

The worst thing about that fight and it was a great fight that was shaping up to be an even greater fight, was that before all the headbutting and making out it looked like Ortiz may have had an albeit slim but powerful chance at pulling off an upset. Up until he demonstrated himself to be a rank ass amateur.

The only thing unsportsmanlike about the whole thing was how utterly unprofessional Ortiz's conduct in the ring was. All that inauthentic contrition after that ridiculous Street Fighter 2 headbutt. How many times do you need to hug it out? Touch gloves and fight, asshole. How did such an amateur get a belt in the first place? I honestly don't even think I would call it a cheap shot; Mayweather took advantage of his opponent's mistake and isn't that what he is supposed to do? Is Mayweather supposed to hold back just because his opponent doesn't have the wherewithal to protect himself?

Ortiz could have survived the first shot and fought back; a true professional would have instinctually protected himself after the hook landed. Instead he stands there like a guy who just got off the bus at the wrong stop and has to ask the ref where he is. I think Mayweather was only expecting to get that first one off, he almost hesitates for a millisecond as if expecting a counter attack as is his style. Ok, maybe it was a little cheap, but I still can't help thinking that Ortiz pretty much got what he deserved. Really it was shrewd ringmanship that beat him the angry straight right was just punctuation.

I think all the outrage is because of the apparent savagery and viciousness of two hard unprotected shots. As Mayweather said: "This is the hurt business".

Floyd KO'd him because his hands were down and he they were coming off a friendly "clinch".
    He did NOT KO him when they were actually fighting.
    Any way you spell it it reads: Cheap Shot.

No one is taking anything away from Floyd the boxer or Floyd the fighter, but Floyd the PERSON needs to get a personality transplant.

To me Ortiiz made many mistakes that showed his lack of experience and none greater than NOT KNOWING your enemy.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Floyd KO'd him because his hands were down and he they were coming off a friendly "clinch".
    He did NOT KO him when they were actually fighting.
    Any way you spell it it reads: Cheap Shot.

No one is taking anything away from Floyd the boxer or Floyd the fighter, but Floyd the PERSON needs to get a personality transplant.

To me Ortiiz made many mistakes that showed his lack of experience and none greater than NOT KNOWING your enemy.
    He definitely took advantage of Ortiz's "friendliness" but if you look at it Mayweather approaches the center of the ring with his hands up. Ref called time in and the fighters were directed away from neutral corners; that means fight not hug it out one more time. Ortiz had to have known Mayweather would retaliate in kind to his contemptible headbutt tactics.

So much for boxing as a "sport" as a matter of fact so much for sportsmanship...
    To the mind that is still, the whole universe surrenders.
    -Patanjali Samadhi

"Not engaging in ignorance is wisdom."
    ~ Bodhi

Never miss a good chance to shut up

You guys realize Ortiz HEADBUTTED him right before that, right? That's why he offered the hug.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Head butted him twice and two wongs do make a white (ask any blond Asian)
    To the mind that is still, the whole universe surrenders.
    -Patanjali Samadhi

"Not engaging in ignorance is wisdom."
    ~ Bodhi

Never miss a good chance to shut up

In my opinion Mayweather has done enough to be considered one of the greats, but he will never get the respect he thinks he deserves if he does not fight and beat Pacquiao. His only argument to the contrary is that he completely beat and outclassed Marquez in a fashion that Pacquiao did not.

I don't care for Mayweather's character, at least as he has been shown on 24/7 and other media shows/segments. But I gave an ol' "hell yeah" when he said to Larry Merchant what so many boxing fans have been yelling at thier TV for years.

Ortiz has no one to blame but himself. He blatantly headbutted Mayweather purposefully Then he apologizes 3 times. Cortez gave the physical signal to box. Ortiz should have been wary and kept his distance. He ruined his own momentum that led to him getting laid out.

Quote Originally Posted by wenshu View Post
    He definitely took advantage of Ortiz's "friendliness" but if you look at it Mayweather approaches the center of the ring with his hands up. Ref called time in and the fighters were directed away from neutral corners; that means fight not hug it out one more time. Ortiz had to have known Mayweather would retaliate in kind to his contemptible headbutt tactics.
    Of course, hence my "know your enemy".
    Ortiz should have know better.
    As for the HB, I give the cheap shot to FM IF the head butt drew blood or Ortiz had been doing it over and over ala Holyfield.

The class act that is Floyd was demonstrated in that wonderful tet-a-tet with Larry Merchant, LOL !