Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Relative Racism and Chinese Kung Fu

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    I don't know of anyone that joins a TCMA to learn to lion dance.
    actually, Lion Dance was one of my faves. Still is.
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Blog Entries
    As for Lion dancing, well...I know that traditions die hard for some and that's fine but it means nothing to me.
    As long as there are Chinese People there will always be the need for Lion Dancing. Its not something that won't just Die out because FIGHTERS think it should.

I don't know of anyone that joins a TCMA to learn to lion dance.
    Well, i can't say i understand. cause where i live, we got some of the worlds BEST lion dancers here.

LION DANCE COMPETITION: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PvRU...eature=related

All the anecdotal evidence we have of the old timers and old times training seems to indicate small personal classes AND it also indicates LOTS of fighting OUTSIDE of those classes to test the skills.
    sure. we all were encouraged to go out and fight. for some it was the point tournaments, for others it was the street. Those days were a little different than today. Now schools have to worry about being sued when their students fight outside of the school.

Today, fighting has made its way to the ring while on the streets fists were replaced by Guns.
    Last edited by hskwarrior; 09-16-2011 at 12:59 PM.
    Hung Sing Boyz, we gottit on lock down
    when he's around quick to ground and pound a clown
    Bruh we thought you knew better
    when it comes to head huntin, ain't no one can do it better

we just started a local "Fight League," where several schools get together, each week at another school and have sparring. It should prove interesting, fun, and educational.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    we just started a local "Fight League," where several schools get together, each week at another school and have sparring. It should prove interesting, fun, and educational.
    I am sure that the pros will outweight the cons.

Look guys I am NOT syaing that fighting is all there is.
    God no!
    At 42 and retired from competitive fighting for years now I KNOW that there is A LOT more to TCMA than fighting.
    Doesn't change the fact that without it being priority at SOME POINT in training, a student will never become a "master".
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    actually, Lion Dance was one of my faves. Still is.
    And you joined and took up TCMA to DO LION DANCING?
    Of course not, no one does.

Blog Entries
    And you joined and took up TCMA to DO LION DANCING?
    Of course not, no one does.
    Lion Dancing and TCMA go hand in hand.

Look guys I am NOT syaing that fighting is all there is.
    God no!
    At 42 and retired from competitive fighting for years now I KNOW that there is A LOT more to TCMA than fighting.
    Doesn't change the fact that without it being priority at SOME POINT in training, a student will never become a "master".
    OF COURSE, Priority is knowing how to effectively use your gung fu. its pretty much a given. I come from a school of the OLD SCHOOL and prefer that way and i pass it down that way but with modern approaches. BUT, does an average everyday person who knows Kung Fu have to be up to SPORT FIGHTING STANDARDS? I really don't think they should. Most are satisfied knowing they can handle anything at the street level.

I agree, a sifu, a master, or whatever you want to call it should have some fighting knowledge and applicable skill. Unfortunately not all teachers have been in a fight other than a verbal argument. then we have the streetwise, tough teachers who've been through fights, gangfights, getting jump and doing the jumping. its usually these teachers who get called "thugs, ruffians, or even gangsters".......all because they wanted to do was make sure they hard work wasn't wasted.

Still, IDK about other styles, but, CLF HAS returned to its fighting roots and are hitting the ring much more than before. In hong kong next month is a big CLF fighting competition

Now i can't wait to see the video for this. i know a few fighters going in on this
    Last edited by hskwarrior; 09-16-2011 at 01:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hskwarrior View Post
    Lion Dancing and TCMA go hand in hand.
    So when you decided to take up TCMA the first thing in your mind was " I can't wait to put a paper machee lions head and dance around", eh?

Blog Entries
    So when you decided to take up TCMA the first thing in your mind was " I can't wait to put a paper machee lions head and dance around", eh?
    I wouldn't expect you to understand. But, believe it or not, all you have to do is look around a bit and see that Lion Dancing is bigger than you imagine. anyone who can't appreciate lion dancing is in an extremely small minority.

Also, getting paid $500 or alot more for a 30 minute lion dance, are you telling me that isn't a good bonus to lion dancing?

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    yep. That, and the silk pj's, and I look FABULOUS!
    Also, I am now great at interior decorating, and sing show tunes in karaoke.
    Why, ya wanna make something of it? I'll give you such a pinch!
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Quote Originally Posted by hskwarrior View Post

Also, getting paid $500 or alot more for a 30 minute lion dance, are you telling me that isn't a good bonus to lion dancing?
    Lion Dancing gets the traditional schools through the hard times of winter, when enrollment drops down, people go on vacation, and saunter in "right after New Year." at around..February....
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Blog Entries
    where else do you get to wear the cool lion dance pants? LOL

I still don't understand why your relatives are racist?

Good martial arts of any style are hard to find. Good training and better instruction are more important, regardless of style. Something can be derived from each style and no style is completely effective in all situations...what really matters is your ability to apply learned skills when it counts.

I loved CLF, but won't take it just from anyone, Lion Dancing is cool! I see it as more a cultural training than martial.

As far as making money from dancing...I'd prefer not to talk about my seedy past...lets just say "Once you go Jew, nothing else will do!"
    "if its ok for shaolin wuseng to break his vow then its ok for me to sneak behind your house at 3 in the morning and bang your dog if buddha is in your heart then its ok"-Bawang

"I get what you have said in the past, but we are not intuitive fighters. As instinctive fighters, we can chuck spears and claw and bite. We are not instinctively god at punching or kicking."-Drake

"Princess? LMAO hammer you are such a pr^t"-Frost

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tzy94rWx7DQ

this is real lion dance, none of that poosy cantonese bs

HARDCORE

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Blog Entries
    nah that was garbage...

this is the real deal....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXUKE...eature=related

and THIS is hardcore:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTqIjOSsXV4
    Last edited by hskwarrior; 09-17-2011 at 06:04 PM.

Westerners attracted to TCMA seem far more prone to the idea that its more important to have the really, really real(tm)(c)(R) kung fu(tm). People get confused if they see multiple forms named the same thing, but one has the front kick before the side kick, but another has the side kick before the front kick, and one has two front kicks. Somehow, we believe that one of those is the really super real shaolin (tm) kung fu and the others are less effective.
    I really believe the best Kung Fu lesson we can learn is in the movie Kung Fu Panda, about how there is no "secret ingredient".

Actually, I don't think Westerners are alone in this mindset. Perhaps its the fact that Kung Fu movies foster a brand-loyal type mindset.

Regardless, for some insane reason, a lot of us continue to believe that if I'm performing the same sequence of moves once in a while that some guy did 500 years ago that I'm somehow going to be successful in a fight against someone who does the same move over and over again on a heavy bag, and other more-streamlined training.

We further get into these ridiculous lines of thinking that we have these amazing "secrets" to "generating power" that can only be trained to people who have been studying under Master Obi-Wan Miyagi Fei Hung for at least 5 years. Then we can learn that you generate more power punching by pushing off your rear leg, turning your body into the punch with your waist and shoulder, and by standing and punching a whole lot, over and over again. Why? Because people trying to Market Kung Fu a long time ago scammed their students this way, so we expect to be scammed the same way!
    Sith Legal Kung Fu is unstoppable.