Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Bak Mei Sparring

:@ )

Ahhh then all is well and good :' )

Back to the topic at hand... sparring.

I know that when I started out the guys I studied under had us glove up pretty quickly. 1st guy had me drop by his house one day and introduced me to some guys from another school. Then he said , by the way, put your gloves on and go out to the garden, you're fighting this guy in a second.

This happened as well with the second group I studied with. TCMA was about fighting as well as navel gazing. Now that there are so many clubs, orgs etc it seems that the fighting aspect has dropped down some. Not a problem as each to their own.

The original vid was ok I guess in that at least there was an attempt at working with a resisting opponent but seriously does anyone think that what they were doing really helped them to get ready for a fight?

R

i think thats type of training is doing more harm than good, because they are not making any sort of contact their body shapes seem all wrong, not to mention because theres no impact from their opponents punches their defense probably wont stand up to a real shot, and i suspect they will fold under a real hit

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    i think thats type of training is doing more harm than good, because they are not making any sort of contact their body shapes seem all wrong, not to mention because theres no impact from their opponents punches their defense probably wont stand up to a real shot, and i suspect they will fold under a real hit
    yep.

Guangzhou Pak Mei Kung Fu School, Sydney Australia,
    Sifu Leung, Yuk Seng
    Established 1989, Glebe Australia

The original clip is from an off shoot club of the association I belong to. It's a freestyle Pak mei. That is it doesn't contain the body methods as the traditional system among other changes. The system is meant to constantly move forward into your opponent, very difficult with two players with the same mindset. I totally take on board criticism of not landing blows. Head gear and body amour, for me is the next evolution.
    Below is a montage clip of a few of us doing some training with snip bits of sparring. All feedback welcome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mj4zmqzmkJM

Quote Originally Posted by simondo View Post
    The original clip is from an off shoot club of the association I belong to. It's a freestyle Pak mei. That is it doesn't contain the body methods as the traditional system among other changes. The system is meant to constantly move forward into your opponent, very difficult with two players with the same mindset. I totally take on board criticism of not landing blows. Head gear and body amour, for me is the next evolution.
    Below is a montage clip of a few of us doing some training with snip bits of sparring. All feedback welcome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mj4zmqzmkJM
    It doesn't look like any Pak Mei I have seen (not that I'm an expert). I wonder how much actual "Pak Mei" the "Master" actually did learn. Any info on his teacher(s) or lineage?
    Tung Kong Hakka Chow Gar Naam Pai Tong Long

http://www.youtube.com/user/dmas5animals

Lineage

It was taught in Southampton UK by a Chinese gentleman P K Lau. That's as much as I know. It may well not look like any traditional Pak Mei. Firstly there is no body method used i.e 6 points of power, sink, float, swallow and spit. Secondly I have not seen any body else do any free sparring in Pak mei.

real southern kung fu uses a lot of footwork and dodging. if you see someone playing pattycake forget him.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Quote Originally Posted by simondo View Post
    It was taught in Southampton UK by a Chinese gentleman P K Lau. That's as much as I know. It may well not look like any traditional Pak Mei. Firstly there is no body method used i.e 6 points of power, sink, float, swallow and spit. Secondly I have not seen any body else do any free sparring in Pak mei.
    Then it's not Pak Mei then is it?? I'm assuming it doesn't use the 8 gings either?

How do you generate sufficient power?
    Tung Kong Hakka Chow Gar Naam Pai Tong Long

http://www.youtube.com/user/dmas5animals

Blog Entries

The one with hair is my former student

Hung Sing Boyz, we gottit on lock down
    when he's around quick to ground and pound a clown
    Bruh we thought you knew better
    when it comes to head huntin, ain't no one can do it better

Power is generated pushing up from the floor, torquiing/twisting waist and hips, up the back to shoulder, elbow and finally hand. Similar to 6 points of power but not quite.

There was no free sparring on that clip! Although very nice!