Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bak Mei Sparring

Bak Mei Sparring

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Nlkp...eature=related

My critique: There's no landing. No one is hitting each other, thus no honest feedback. If anything, bad habits can be engrained with this type of thing.

Why not headgear and gloves and let it go free?

Blog Entries
    IMHO,

I agree to a certain point. especially about the no landing. around 1:09 if i were the other guy i would have just kept cool since none of those strikes were going to land. but you're right, why wear the gloves if not going to strike. perhaps they did so for the just in case moments. this kind of sparring is good for the beginners tho, it helps to figure out what works for them and what doesn't.
    Hung Sing Boyz, we gottit on lock down
    when he's around quick to ground and pound a clown
    Bruh we thought you knew better
    when it comes to head huntin, ain't no one can do it better

I like the punches in bunches. I like the hand speed and aggression.... but even for beginners, I'd rather forgo that type of sparring and focus on hand-related drills, develop the jamming, intercepting... whatever it is the style is looking to achieve.

When they're ready to spar, I'd rather slow it down, even take the power and intensity down to 40 percent but allow landing... then you learn to guard for the front kick to the midsection when charging in. You learn one good shot leads to two good follow up shots. I know nobody likes it, but it teaches you to take a shot and keep in plan.

That type of sparring develops a false sense of security. Wave your hands fast and furious and back everyone up.

I just found that video while watching some Bak Mei stuff. The other stuff I saw was mostly form. Not bad.

That lacked the fundamental entry strategies, intent, techniques, and pretty much any other attribute I would recognize as Pak Mei. They would probably end up better off if they didn't train.

I am not putting down the individuals in the video, but I do not in any way agree with the training depicted there.
    -Golden Arms-

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    meh. too much up and down using just the front hand. (might be cool if they held a blade...)
    But I did like the usage of the front leg foot sweep to upset balance. That was cool.
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

not crazy about that...but, I noticed one thing those guy were weeding out of themselves and that was flinch response.

They were staying in the grind even when the flurry was happening.
    so that's a good thing.

the lack of mobility and commitment to strikes due to further lack of protective gear which would allow it is the downfall. You gotta move!
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    not crazy about that...but, I noticed one thing those guy were weeding out of themselves and that was flinch response.

They were staying in the grind even when the flurry was happening.
    so that's a good thing.

the lack of mobility and commitment to strikes due to further lack of protective gear which would allow it is the downfall. You gotta move!
    its easy not to flinch when you know your not going to get hit, not being funny but that was not sparring and i suspect the first time one of them gets hit hard they will flinch and fold, not a criticsm of them but rather the training method used

"The man who stands for nothing is likely to fall for anything"
    www.swindonkungfu.co.uk

But that's Rodney King and he's definitely not a bak mei guy. He's more of an everything has it's merits sort of guy.

I like Rodney's stuff fwiw, really functional useful fighting methods and techs, no mysticism, no bs, just straight up, hit hard hit fast stuff.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

I can't say what those guys are doing above, but what it looks like to me, is something that's you'd do before a fight. Working on getting position, underhooks, and simulating the attach you'd go through.

If that was their sparring, it would be equally terrible.

Nope, that's an instructional.

Rodney is a BJJ BB, an mma coach and had some success in both boxing and in muay thai. He started boxing in Sef effrica under one of the top guys in joburg and kept going.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Sparring without contact is pretty much useless and does nothing but build bad habits. You could argue that you are still learning footwork, body movement, muscle memory, those types of things, but sparring how those guys were gives people a false sense of what they can do.

Too often Kung Fu turns into this speed crazy slapfest such as this where the intent seems to be to throw as many strikes as possible to look blazing fast and cool. This is not the same as in boxing where you have punches in bunches that are fast but still powerful and with intent to hit each time, and that really is the difference.

Honestly sparring with no pads I just don't care for anymore. Even if you are going hard to body style (Kyokushin) pulling shots to the head builds bad habits. Granted when sparring with smaller MMA gloves and such you really cant power up and strike like you would a good boxing training glove, but solid contact is still where it is at. It still cracks me up at my gym when we spar hard we wear boxing gloves, head hear, ect and I still hear the traditonal guys say crap like big gloves take away real technique, or some other complete and utter horse sh**it and continue to do the kind of crap in this video.
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". -Cus D'Amato

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Pina View Post
    My critique: There's no landing. No one is hitting each other, thus no honest feedback. If anything, bad habits can be engrained with this type of thing.

Why not headgear and gloves and let it go free?
    I agree with you Ray... but just to play the Devils advocate and look at the opposite:

When sparring with students for over 20 years now, I have noticed that when students wear head gear, they tend to "Let" themselves get hit in the head because it does not hurt with a "Head Gear" on.

Same thing goes for chest protectors and such. Anything that absorbs the blow tends to NOT let the student feel it. Then they sorta are ok with getting hit because there is no consequence.

ginosifu

I agree with you.

Personally, when I spar I use boxing gloves, a mouth piece and a cup. That's it.

When I was teaching in NY I had my students wear caged headgear. Every once in a while someone would complain that they couldn't see through the cage.... so I said they didn't need to wear it. 100% of the time they chose to wear it -- at first.

I prefer my students to feel the blow. Even if they are more willing to stand and trade. A good shot to the head still snaps the head back. Usually someone gets overwhelmed and turns their back, and which point I stop the action.

I believe at first in headgear and gloves with full contact but quick stoppage. It doesn't take long for students to progress to less gear and able to monitor themselves. After about 8 to 10 months of give and take they lose the ego and focus more on technique.

The other stuff is just masturbation. To train martial arts it to punch and be punched in the nose. There's no way around it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Pina View Post
    I agree with you.

Personally, when I spar I use boxing gloves, a mouth piece and a cup. That's it.

The other stuff is just masturbation. To train martial arts it to punch and be punched in the nose. There's no way around it.
    I only wear finger less gloves, mouth piece and foot gear (like shin and instep guard). All of my advanced students are supposed to be able do the same. Eventually you need be a bit more realistic when sparring / san shou / san da etc etc. We even take it to ground and to tap out. That's when it gets really fun.

ginosifu