Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Protein

tanglangman Guest

Protein

I heard that different types of protein can have negative effects on your muscles flexibility. Does anyone have any knowledge of this? If so, should I cut out certain food groups that contain such a detrimental protein? Which ones?

Answers on a postcard....

joedoe Guest
    I'm not sure about this, but I guess the fact that ballerinas, gymnasts, and contortionists follow a strict diet may indicate that this is the case.

Sorry I can't help more than that.

Guns don't kill people, I kill people

IronFist Guest
    "I heard that different types of protein can have negative effects on your muscles flexibility. "

Um, no. There's no such thing as a protein that can have "negative" effects on your muscles or anything else.

Protein maintains muscle, and repairs broken down muscle. It's good to eat.

Iron

joedoe Guest
    Ironfist,

Protein does build muscle etc, and yes is probably not detrimental to muscle tissue (I am not sure as I am not qualified in this area) but certain proteins may affect the flexibility of muscle tissue.

cxxx[]:::::::::::>
    What we do in life echoes in Eternity

IronFist Guest
    "but certain proteins may affect the flexibility of muscle tissue."

Eh? Can anyone substantiate this claim with research?

The only way protein can affect the flexibility is if you get large muscles and don't stretch. Then you will have flexibility problems.

Iron

joedoe Guest
    The reason I said may, and also pointed out that I am not qualified to substantiate this statement, is because as I stated previously ballerinas, gymnasts, and contortionists usually follow a very strict low-protein diet to help maintain their flexibility. If you want harder evidence then I am sorry but I cannot provide it, and if you want to ridicule me for posting feel free to do so :)

cxxx[]:::::::::::>
    What we do in life echoes in Eternity

adepss Guest
    No! protein does not inhibit flexibility, your body metabolises and breaksdown foods you ingest and aminos are generated from the proteins to help maintain your bodies muscular system.

toxins like alcohol in your bloodstream can affect flexibility due to the acid build up and natural dehydration that takes place within your body, the less water in your muscles the weaker and less able to conract or stretch.

your tendons and cartilidge condition is also a factor in your ability to maintain flexibility but again proteins do not in any way hinder your flexibilty in fact it helps your muscles stay in good condition ..

UberShaman Guest
    Ive had yoga teachers say the same thing, that animal proteins limit flexibility. However its definetly not true and there are some studys that suggest diets high in simple carbs can limit flexibility. If you check out the Stadion publishing site they used to have some info in there newsletters about these studies..

IronFist Guest
    I gaurantee you that gymnists do not eat a low-protein diet. Pound for pound they are some of the strongest athletes out there, and they would NOT gain muscle without eating a lot of protein.

That's almost like saying Bodybuilders get huge from eating low-protein.

Iron

SevenStar Guest
    Actually, research has shown that stretching stimulates the transport of amino acids (the building blocks of protein) into muscle cells, accelerates protein synthesis inside cells and inhibits protein degradation. Also, the protein elastin promotes flexibility.

-SevenStar©
    Those who say "BJJ is superior!" are just repeating what they've been told and are too inexperienced to comment. Once you've been there and done that you know to never say never or that one is not always better than the other.

SevenStar Guest
    Actually, research has shown that stretching stimulates the transport of amino acids (the building blocks of protein) into muscle cells, accelerates protein synthesis inside cells and inhibits protein degradation .

-SevenStar©
    Those who say "BJJ is superior!" are just repeating what they've been told and are too inexperienced to comment. Once you've been there and done that you know to never say never or that one is not always better than the other.

SevenStar Guest
    Actually, research has shown that stretching stimulates the transport of amino acids (the building blocks of protein) into muscle cells, accelerates protein synthesis inside cells and inhibits protein degradation.

-SevenStar©

SevenStar Guest
    Something screwy is going on with the backend systems of this board...

-SevenStar©

SevenStar Guest
    Something screwy is going on with the backend systems of this board...I noticed that it displays posts, but slowly. Server may need to be rebooted or something.

-SevenStar©

David Guest

amino acids

If I remember correctly from recent reading on the subject, there are 22 amino acids essential for health. 9 of these must be eaten in food and the other 13 can either be sourced from food or made within the body by recombining the essential 9.

-David
    "I don't eat anything with a face."

The powers of Kung Fu never fail!
    -- Hong Kong Phooey