Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Qi and the Piezoelectric Effect

Alaska. http://jadedragonalaska.yolasite.com/

Qi and the Piezoelectric Effect

Piezoelectric Effect Basics

A piezoelectric substance is one that produces an electric charge when a mechanical stress is applied (the substance is squeezed or stretched). Conversely, a mechanical deformation (the substance shrinks or expands) is produced when an electric field is applied.'

From: http://www.aurelienr.com/electronique/piezo/piezo.pdf

An area that has Qi flowing into it, by one trained in internal Iron Shirt; can have the area strengthened by this force running through it. This is a piezoelectric effect.

A similar analogy, is trying to bend a fire hose while water is running through it; you cannot.

‘We must look at what modern Western science has discovered about bioelectromagnetic energy. Many bioelectricity-related reports have been published, and frequently the results are closely related to what is experienced in Chinese Qigong training and medical science. For example, during the electrophysiological research of the 1960's, several investigators discovered that bones are piezoelectric; that is, when they are stressed, mechanical energy is converted to electrical energy in the form of electric current. This might explain one of the practices of Marrow Washing Qigong in which the stress on the bones and muscles is increased in certain ways to increase the Qi circulation.

It is understood now that the human body is constructed of many different electrically conductive materials, and that it forms a living electromagnetic field and circuit. Electromagnetic energy is continuously being generated in the human body through the biochemical reaction in food and air assimilation, and circulated by the electromotive forces (EMF) generated within the body.’

A Modern Definition of Chi, by Dr. Yang Jwing-Ming, August 2nd, 2011

I've mastered Blanka's electrical attack from Street Fighter 2. I don't use qi though, I use American body electric juice.
    Sith Legal Kung Fu is unstoppable.

F*ck Blanka. He's a glorified kickboxer. RAIDEN has the "Real, Authentic Qi Powers" (TM)

Step.
    "It is the peculiar quality of a fool to perceive the faults of others and to forget his own." -Cicero

Very nice exlpanation of the bioelectrcal fileds in our body. Now many modern western Doctors and such will not believe this electrical filed is related to "Qi"

sweet.

ginosifu

Quote Originally Posted by ginosifu View Post
    Very nice exlpanation of the bioelectrcal fileds in our body.
    no, it's not; it's a pretty rudimentary explanation; if u want a detailed explanation, go read a neurophysiology textbook, and u will get more detail than u can imagine;

Quote Originally Posted by ginosifu View Post
    Now many modern western Doctors and such will not believe this electrical filed is related to "Qi"
    docs know about bioelecricity, because they have all studied neurophysiology (cellular polarization, etc.); and they are well aware of pizeoelectric effect in the body, such as mentioned in regards to bone density formation;

as far as to say that they will not believe it relates to "qi" - this makes no sense - why would would a "western" doctor have any opinon about "qi" at all? it's not part of the biomedical paradigm; why should they care? they practice medicine just fine without it; all u r doing is the typical trashing of MD's that the "alternative" crowd loves to do, without even being able to hold a candle to the training and practice of most docs;

finally, go read an actual definition of "qi"; start with Kaptcuk's "Web That Has No Weaver"; having done so, u may want to reconsider your misinformed perspective about qi being "bioelectricity in the body";

Charge does not equal Current.

Bioelectricity does not equal Qi.

This is not to say that bioelectricity is unaffected by Qi, because it is...

...it's just to say that bioelectricity is NOT Qi.

I disagree with Yang Jwing Ming on this.

QI IS NOT A THING.

All attempts to objectify it are doomed from the start: it's funny (and sad) to watch people try though.
    "It is the peculiar quality of a fool to perceive the faults of others and to forget his own." -Cicero

Quote Originally Posted by Foiling Fist View Post
    An area that has Qi flowing into it, by one trained in internal Iron Shirt; can have the area strengthened by this force running through it. This is a piezoelectric effect.
    funny, how when convenient for u, u will (innapropriately) mix and match western and eastern paradigms without compunction to make your point...

Quote Originally Posted by Xiao3 Meng4 View Post

QI IS NOT A THING.

All attempts to objectify it are doomed from the start: it's funny (and sad) to watch people try though.
    this is what it boils down to;

I keep telling people to go read Kaptchuk's "definition" of "qi" - I mean, IMPO, he hits the nail on the head, insofar as he contextualize it in such a way as to completely invalidate the whole need for proving it's "existence", because he understands the functional nature of the paradigm; and when u come from this perspective, there's no conflict - there's no need to argue about whether qi exists or not, there is no longer an objectification;

I thought Qi was steam raising off of rice?

Quote Originally Posted by Scott R. Brown View Post
    good point! yes, originally, this is what it was - although some say it was the condensation off of fermenting rice - I'm not sure what that process entailed, so I may be off base; but anyway, yes, there was not any notion of qi being some mystical force that u needed to measure in a lab - however, it was more than just the steam itsef, I believe - it was the process, the transformative aspect that was important as well - the notion that qi was what was involved with a dynamic process, that it was the driver in changing from one state to another - and if one understands it this way, it addresses both structure (steam / vapor) and function (the process of matter moving from liquid to gas);

so the idea that u can measure the dynamic process of transformation / becoming as infra-red and declare this as qi, kinda takes someting away from it as a transformative agent...

the thing is, that current technology has enabled us to look at the specifics of many of the processes that "qi" was used to explain - e.g. - the ancient Chinese had no notion of the cell, so instead, they relied on pattern recognition and an appreciation of how these patterns shifted and from there derived a framework for looking at the interrelationships of structure and function in the body; had they been able to identify the cell and it's structure / function, they may have had a very different way of looking at how the body works....
    Last edited by taai gihk yahn; 09-19-2011 at 07:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott R. Brown View Post
    According to Foiled Fist there must not be any Qi here, since there's no bioelectricity...

...no rice, either!

Quote Originally Posted by Xiao3 Meng4 View Post
    According to Foiled Fist there must not be any Qi here, since there's no bioelectricity...
    ...no rice, either!
    what I really want to know is if he can see Russia from his window?

Try punching an electric eel. I bet what happens is that the eel would get punched, then you'd get an electric shock. The electricity wouldn't magically protect the eel.
    Sith Legal Kung Fu is unstoppable.

I once had an electric pet eel.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark13 View Post
    I once had an electric pet eel.
    I had a pet punch. we should introduce them.
    Kung Fu is good for you.