Thread: International Health Qigong Tournaments & Gatherings

International Health Qigong Tournaments & Gatherings

There's a vid if you follow the link, but the text pretty much captures the vid.
    Int'l Health Qigong Tournament
    CNC report from Vancouver
    Added On September 19, 2011

STORY HIGHLIGHTS

Health Qigong in western world 

Lifestyles will leave you with a look at the ongoing International Health Qigong Tournament and Exchange in Vancouver!

STANDUP (ENGLISH) AL CAMPBELL, CNC CORRESPONDENT:
    "I'm here in Vancouver where for the first time in its history the International Health Qigong Tournament and Exchange is being held outside of China to promote awareness of this sport which is becoming increasingly popular around the world. The fourth edition of this tournament which was last held in Shanghai in 2009, features 44 international Qigong organizations from 25 countries and regions, altogether more than 300 people are participating in this week-long tournament."

At the gala opening ceremony at the University of British Columbia on Saturday, the audience was treated to a visual spectacular in a Lion Dance, a performance by the First Nations native people of the area, and a parade of the athletes into the competition hall.

Dignitaries and politicians at the national, provincial and civic levels spoke of how such events can enhance the friendships and understanding between nations. Among those in attendance was Xiao Min, vice-president of the All-China Sports Federation.

SOUNDBITE (ENGLISH) XIAO MIN, VP, ALL-CHINA SPORTS FEDERATION
    "Now I'm very proud to present that the fourth International Health Qigong Tournament and Exchange commence."

SOUNDBITE (CHINESE) XIAO MIN, VP, ALL-CHINA SPORTS FEDERATION
    "As one of the best Chinese traditional sports, Health Qigong becomes more and more popular at home and abroad. We've held three tournaments of this kind in China. Now for the first time, we hold the 4th International Health Qigong Tournament and Exchange outside China so as to promote the Health Qigong and serve the Health Qigong lovers better."

Xiao said more and more people were increasingly discovering Health Qigong around the world.

SOUNDBITE (CHINESE) XIAO MIN, VP, ALL-CHINA SPORTS FEDERATION
    "We still have a long way to go in promoting Health Qigong. However, we will try our best to promote it so as to bring health benefits to more and people in the world."

Presenting a message from Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper was Wai Young, a Chinese-Canadian politician who represents the riding of Vancouver South.

SOUNDBITE (ENGLISH) WAI YOUNG, CANADA POLITICIAN:
    "I would like to commend the organizing committee for putting together a program that promotes cultural exchange and encourages others to embrace Qigong teachings and practices for health, fitness and personal growth. I’m certain that the enthusiasts will make the most of this exciting opportunity and will leave inspired to put what they have learned into practice. Please accept my best wishes for a most enjoyable and memorable event, the Right Honorable Stephen Harper."

Also in attendance was Liang Shugen, the Chinese Consul General in Vancouver, who called everybody in the competition a winner, and added that winning a medal was not the major concern here.

SOUNDBITE (ENGLISH) LIANG SHUGEN, CHINESE CONSUL GENERAL IN VANCOUVER:
    "However, it is all the more important that your group build up friendship among the different peoples from different countries, so therefore I wish you all do your best and hope that through this competition you bring the friendship of the Chinese people, of the people from different countries, back to your home country and it is such a course that will be building a harmonious world."

Among the performers in the opening ceremony were Health Qigong groups from America, Canada, China including Macau and Hong Kong, and competitors from various countries in Europe.

SOUNDBITE (ENGLISH) MEOEH RIOUX, DUTCH QIGONG COMPETITOR
    "It gave me a sense of feeling good from inside out. Because I practice Wushu, Taichi and Qigong, altogether, like they connect. When I come around with Qigong later on, as I did with Wushu, Taiji and from Qigong I feel complete."

SOUNDBITE (ENGLISH) AN DEBIE, BELGIAN QIQONG COMPETITIOR:
    "I sort of discovered it actually, because I was dancing for a long time. I was doing a lot of contemporary dance. And from there I went to yoga and to all kinds of body practices. And then, by chance actually, I discovered Qigong. I found a flyer and I was hooked immediately because I felt that given all these years of physical training I felt changes in my body and my health improved. I felt calmer, more at ease with myself, so that’s my story since seven years now been practicing."

STANDUP (ENGLISH) AL CAMPBELL, CNC CORRESPONDENT:
    "This tournament is being hosted by the Chinese Health Qigong Association, which has worked hard in recent years to promote Qigong beyond the borders of China. This tournament here in Vancouver is really four-fold as it involves a two-day Qigong tournament, as well as a referee’s clinic, a training session promoting the various disciplines of Health Qigong, as well as a duan examination of Health Qigong."

Ken Low, who is considered Mr Wushu in Canada, was instrumental in organizing the Vancouver event. As the president of the Canada International Health Qigong Association he says people need to know that the practice is much more than just a good workout.

SOUNDBITE (ENGLISH) KEN LOW, ORGANIZER:
    "It is more than fitness, it's actually mental and physical. It builds inner strength and strengthens your joints and muscles and tendons, particularly in your neck area, your shoulders, your spine and your inner organs and your breathing and your focus. So it's not a martial arts although it is connected somewhat to martial arts because the movements have no self-defence meanings. All the movements are designed to enhance your health."

The fourth International Health Qigong Tournament and Exchange continues through Thursday in Vancouver.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Some more coverage

Anyone from here near Vancouver?
    Westerners sold on Health Qigong benefits
    English.news.cn 2011-09-19 15:31:56
    by Al Campbell

VANCOUVER, Sept. 18 (Xinhua) -- At the fourth International Qigong Tournament and Exchange currently going on in Vancouver, many of the competitors spoke Sunday of how the practice had improved their lives after being able to overcome the complications of illness and injury.

While many of the more than 300 competitors in the eight-day tournament were out to demonstrate they were among the best practitioners in the world, others were clearly happy to be competing after previously living with various ailments that had affected their mobility and overall way of life.

"I've been very ill," said competitor Felicia Kazmer of the New Jersey-based U.S. Health Qigong Association. "I have Lyme disease and infections. I was out on medical for six months last year and through the practice of Qigong, and especially the intense practice because I knew we were coming to the tournament, I am feeling better than I have in years and years. I know that this has opened the meridians and allowed the qi to flow and it's worked better than any drug."

While Qigong has been practiced in China for centuries, it is relatively new to the outside world. It is for this reason that after holding the biennial International Qigong Tournament and Exchange in China on the first three occasions, the event was moved abroad for the first time to help increase its awareness and growing popularity.

Altogether, 44 Health Qigong teams are in Canada from 25 nations and regions for the tournament.

Philip Moot, a 26-year-old from The Hague, was attending the tournament for a second time after taking in the last competition in Shanghai in 2009. Now studying Chinese acupuncture, the Dutchman said he took up Qigong after suffering from Pfieffer, a glandular fever that is a fatigue illness.

"I was always tired and when I woke up in the morning I felt already tired. Then I started with Qigong and exercises and it improved my health enormously. I'm doing it now, I think four years, and it made me stronger. The tiredness is gone."

Moot said the more you put into Qigong, a series of movements and postures that focuses on regulated breathing techniques, focused meditation and self-massage, the more a person will get out of it.

He compared the practice to charging up a battery and added he had now turned his parents on to Qigong, as well as a friend's father who is battling cancer. "It's helping him also to relieve the pain a little and not to think constantly of this disease."

According to various clinical studies, the regular practice of Qigong has shown to be beneficial in reducing stress, better balance, lowering blood pressure, enhancing the immune system, improving sleep patterns, as well as improved cardiovascular, respiratory, circulatory and digestive functions, among many others.

Depending on who you talk to, the benefits of Health Qigong means different things to different people, according to practitioner Susan Gallin. The New Jersey nurse took up the practice 18 months ago after undergoing knee surgery.

"But after the surgery my knee was never back to normal. So someone suggested to take Qigong," she said. "And I started taking it and it was amazing. I guess maybe after a couple of months my knee started to feel better and I'm not 100 per cent right now, but I do really well. I can squat down, things I couldn't do before the surgery."

Working in the medical industry, Gallin said she was at odds with the western mentality of taking pills for everything. She felt hospitals should offer more wellness programs than they do.

"Some of the hospitals in the United States offer such things that include this type of alternative medicine, but I don't think it's enough. Some of the bigger pharmaceutical companies offer wellness programs before the hospitals and you would think we are in a healthcare system that they would offer a wellness (program), try to keep you well so you don't get sick. I know for myself I always try to do whatever I can before I take a pill."

Reg Carter knows what it is like to endure a steady diet of pills after having to take anti-inflammatories and painkillers for problems with his joints. For the past two years the native Derby, England, has been practicing Qigong and was in Vancouver as part of the British team taking part.

"I had shoulder injuries, a broken collarbone, arthritis of several joints, elbows, my hands, fingers and the mobility has improved considerably since I've been doing the Qigong. The mobility has improved and also with the strengthening through the lower body and legs. The back injuries has improved. I don't get so much pain and I find I can move about a lot more fluidly," he said.

"I just feel like I've had a lot more life balance. I feel a lot more calmer. My sleep pattern's improved. I don't get angry so often, and if I do I find that I can get to grips with it and keep a lot calmer."

Toronto resident Karen Widmer has never endured the pain suffered by Carter, but credits the energy of Qigong in aiding the recovery of a broken wrist she suffered four years ago while studying a level one Qigong course.

Through regular practice, Qigong practitioners are said to be able to direct the energy in the body, the qi, towards the limbs.

"I completed it (the course) with a broken wrist and I could feel the energy repair much faster and the recovery time was better than they had actually thought," said the yoga instructor.

Now totally hooked on Health Qigong and with 5,000 hours of practice to her credit, the 50-something Widmer explains it takes 10,000 hours of practice to achieve the title of "master."

"While it looks like a physical process, it's actually very much more a spiritual process. Since we are electro-magnetic beings, it makes sense that we could send that current around in a positive way. But it does lead a person to longevity. It's a wellness that is authentic and I hope to be 100 years old and still doing it," she said.

"I have always enjoyed movement knowing that movement is health. And I would say that even people who aren't athletic can do this. It helps balance. Balance prevents falls, which prevents breakage. It is very beneficial to do this."
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

ttt 4 2017!

I'm changing this thread title from "4th International Health Qigong Tournament and Exchange" to just "International Health Qigong Tournaments". These are still going but they seldom make the news. I just stumbled over this one in the morning news feeds.

In fact, we held a Health Qigong competition at the 2011 Tiger Claw Elite KungFuMagazine.com Championships. We only did it once to see how it might work. Obviously it wasn't successful enough for us to justify continuing it because we haven't held one since, but I could see us revisiting it in the future.
    2011 Tiger Claw’s KungFuMagazine.com Grand Champions

OVERALL GRAND CHAMPIONS

HEALTH QIGONG: Nadia Nasiri
    MACAU’S ‘HEALTH QIGONG’ GAINING FOLLOWERS AND ACHIEVING INTERNATIONAL RECOGNITION

RENATO MARQUES WEDNESDAY, SEPTEMBER 27, 2017

The medal won by Maricic in the Netherlands

The Macau Health Qigong General Association recently obtained the best results the territory has ever achieved in a World Championship held in the Netherlands. Comprised of eight athletes and two judges, the Macau delegation, which was divided into two teams, brought home a total of five gold medals, in addition to several other awards.

According to Nikola Maricic, one of the athletes representing Macau, “the results show the great development that Macau has been doing in the activity.” In the previous World Championship held in Portugal, the local team only got two gold medals. The local Qigong association was created in 2005.

The “Qigong” is a millenary activity with roots that go back at least to Song Dynasty (960-1279 AD). The word “qigong” results from a combination of “qi,” which means energy, and “gong,” with means exercise.

Starting as a traditional meditation exercise with numerous forms, it has more recently been organized into five new practice forms, each of them with a relation to Chinese medical principles (Yi Jin Jing, Wu Qin Xi, Liu Zi Jue, Ba Duan Jin and Shi’er Duan Jin).

The essential theory behind health qigong is the unification of body movements, rhythms of breathing, and mental state in order to exercise and regulate body functions and, above all, the mind.

Born in Croatia, Maricic has lived in Macau for the past five years, having practiced “Qigong” for 32 years now, first self-taught, then receiving instruction from several courses in areas of Martial arts, meditation, and Tai Chi.

At the 7th World Health Qigong Tournament and Exchange, held in The Hague, Holland, Maricic was awarded one of the gold medals and surpassed his previous record: “It was my first time scoring over [the barrier of] 9 points. Which is a great achievement as often non-Chinese can’t score over that barrier, staying usually over 8.5 to 8.7 points. This time I managed to score 9.05, which is my personal best.”

According to Maricic, who is also the coach of the Macau team, there are many Macau citizens practicing Health Qigong on a daily basis, although it is difficult to calculate a total figure, as “many do not frequent organized classes or events and just practice by themselves at home.” Maricic suggested that the total number should be around 500.

Maricic, who is also a member of Macau’s Team in Taekwondo, said he uses “Qigong” in two ways: a personal aspect in order to promote a state that favors “self-
    healing” or relief from various physical conditions which he has had for a long time, and secondly to promote the wellbeing and “inner strength” of his trainees to “overcome their own restriction and go beyond.”

The method is often confused as “just meditation” or even more, as “Tai Chi”, but according to Maricic, it is beyond all those forms, and can be a way “to generate and canalize energy towards a goal that can be anything. [It] can be related to sport, to a sickness or physical condition or even to intellectual activity.”

As he explained to the Times, “everything generates energy… fear, anxiety, pain, stress… are all forms of surging energy which we need to learn to channel in a positive way towards our goals,” he explained, “otherwise they will accumulate and cause physical as well as mental conditions.”

Besides coaching the Macau athletes and teaching Health Qigong classes under the “Sports for all” activities organized by the Sport Bureau, Maricic uses the method in martial arts classes such as Taekwondo and Karaté, which he is also teaching currently to the young generation in the D José da Costa Nunes Kindergarten as well as another school institution at the same level.

“I use it as a form of mental training and awareness. It’s very good as warm-up to prepare the body and mind for the class [of Martial Arts],” he noted explaining that everyone can do “Qigong”, including people with severe physical conditions as everything starts with the mind and mental awareness.

“Even people that can’t move [their arms and legs] they can imagine the movements, they can mentally follow and direct their energy to those movements,” he said, further remarking that there is clear evidence in many medical studies of condition improvements that have resulted from this activity.

As for upcoming events, Maricic said the next competition or gathering (as he prefers to call it) will take place next door in Zhuhai on October 22, where Macau association members will join their Zhuhai counterparts for an exchange and joint event.

As for the upcoming World Championship, it is not yet clear where it will take place, but Maricic said the current well-positioned bidders are either in Australia or London, UK, expressing a personal wish for the first possibility.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

SF event

They contacted us about this a few days before it was happening and unfortunately that was way too late because everyone was already committed to other things.

US holds its largest health Qigong performance in San Francisco’s Union Square

San Francisco September. More than 500 people, including 10 bodybuilding communities, took part in a mass health qigong exercise as part of an exchange platform between the US and China, and to promote traditional Chinese culture and martial arts.

The Shaolin Culture Center of San Francisco was a co-organizer, along with the Chinese Health Qigong Association and the United States Tai Chi Health Foundation.

The event followed a forum held on September 22, attended by several media outlets and receiving congratulatory letters from some political figures including San Francisco Mayor Ed Lee and California State Senator Robert Wieckowski.

During the outdoor event, Union Square had a warm atmosphere, with locals and tourists stopping to watch events. Flags were flown bearing the slogan of this year's World Health Qigong Day (August 13) "Let Me Teach You Health Qigong".

Four experts from China performed "Ba Duan Jin" (Eight Pieces of Brocade), a popular form of Chinese qigong used as exercise. Local communities also showed crowds various tai chi exercises.

Local people held banners reading "Health qigong benefits all mankind" "Falun Gong is not health qigong" and "Falun Gong is a cult that harms life".

After performances, The China Health Qigong Association and San Francisco Temple Cultural Center held a series of activities on the science behind health qigong, sharing health qigong exercises and principles, and differentiating qigong and pseudo-scientific practices such as Falun Gong.

Health qigong has spread to five continents, more than 50 countries and regions and has more than 6.5 million practitioners worldwide.

Media Contact
    Company Name: Chinese Health Qigong Association
    Contact Person: Zhan Chu
    Email: zhan.chu@163.com
    Phone: +19223627889
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

More on the SF event...

...from the official Shaolin Temple site.

American Shaolin Culture Center of San Francisco and Chinese Health Qigong Association Jointly Hosting “Health Qigong Forum in San Francisco”
    发布日期:2017-09-25 字体大小:小 中 大
    On September 22, 2017, the press conference of “Health Qigong Forum in San Francisco” that was held by American Shaolin Culture Center of San Francisco, Chinese Health Qigong Association jointly hosted and American Taiji Health Foundation, the U.S. Recreation Service in assisting,was successfully convened in San Francisco. All this was to further carry forward the excellent culture of Chinese nation and reach out to the world, research the spirit and value of Health Qigong Culture, promote further exchange of Chinese and American cultures, effectively advance international communications of Chinese culture and share the essence of traditional Chinese culture with the world. A number of delegates of Chinese communities in the United States attended the conference and addressed the seminar, including Xiao Xiayong, the counselor of the Chinese Consulate General in San Francisco, California Representative Zhu Gansheng and his wife named Zhou Yunju, Yanran, the head of Shaolin Culture Center of San Francisco, Xin Yi, Vice-President and General Secretary of Chinese Health Qigong Association, with his group of Chinese Health Qigong delegation and Li Shudong, the chairman of American Health Qigong General Chamber. A number of American and Chinese media reporters, from China News Agency, China Daily, People's Daily, World Journal, Sing Tao Daily and so on, reported live. Some important political figures, who included San Francisco Mayor Ed Lee, Luo Linquan, consul general to San Francisco, congressman Ro Khanna, California State Senator Robert Wieckowski, California State’s Revenue Agency commissioner Ma Shiyun, San Francisco Councilmen Aaron Peskin and Tang Katie and so on, sent the organizer their message of greetings and congratulatory letters to wish the event a great success!

The press conference scene

Yanran, the head of Shaolin Culture Center of San Francisco, interviewing with the press

Taking photos as souvenirs at the press conference

In his speech, Xiao Xiayong, the counselor of the Chinese Consulate General in San Francisco, was grateful to Shaolin Culture Center for the contributions that traditional Chinese culture was promoted in the U.S. He said that Health Qigong exercises included the cognition of Chinese traditional philosophy while Chinese particular way of thinking, aesthetic notions, behavioral specification and valuable activity. Foreigners study these exercises while being able to gradually understanding Chinese culture with imperceptible influence. This carrier of Chinese traditional culture communication is more specific while the audience is more extensive. He hoped that the delegation from the San Francisco Bay area got united and joined the rank of health Qigong exercise while spreading the essence of traditional culture around the world.

People practicing Shaolin health exercise at the scene of forum

People practicing Tai Ji at the scene of forum

Taking group souvenir photos jubilantly

Yanran, the head of Shaolin Culture Center of San Francisco said, “It is a very meaning thing to be able to jointly host “Health Qigong Forum in San Francisco” with Chinese Health Qigong Association. The Shaolin Temple is more than 1, 500 years old and has a great history. The exercises of regimen, for example, Yi Jin Jing and Xi Sui Jing, both of which have outstanding influence and contribution to Chinese Qigong health functions and methods. This time, our cooperation could be said to collect different places of China and Shaolin’s health functions and methods whose essence is promoted to the public benefiting beings. It is our goal to continuously improve the health of the people around the world. Shaolin Temple is well known for the ‘unity of Zen and Martial arts’. Martial arts with meditation and health Qigong have different approaches but equally satisfactory results from recuperating the body to conditioning mind.

The opening ceremony scene

The head of Shaolin Culture Center of San Francisco, Yanran, addressing on behalf of organizations

Yanran leading people to experience Shaolin health exercise

Members of Shaolin Culture Center leading people to practice Shaolin health exercise

On September 23rd, 2017, Health Qigong Forum in San Francisco formally opened and held recital and exchange meeting in Union Square in San Francisco. There were almost 500 people that included Zha Liyou, the deputy consul general in San Francisco, California Representative Zhu Gansheng, masters of Chinese health Qigong delegation and more than 10 bodybuilding communities, one of whom was Shaolin Temple, taking part in the activity that lasted seven days. Shaolin Culture Center of San Francisco had made meticulous preparations for the event which was able to run smoothly and provided a high level exchange platform for lovers of Chinese traditional culture and health Qigong. (Editor: Chanyue)
    There are a few more pix but I'm going to bail on posting them all.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

I thought they were offering this already

Shi Yanran's schools really deserve their own thread because they are official cultural centers, but I'm not going to merge all the past threads right now. Maybe in the future...

Shaolin Kungfu advocates promote traditional Chinese health preservation service in U.S.
    Source: Xinhua| 2018-09-02 07:44:38|Editor: Xiang Bo

SAN FRANCISCO, Sept. 1 (Xinhua) -- Built on its success of Kungfu classes, Shaolin Temple USA will start offering Shaolin Chan Medicine service and Health Qigong classes in the San Francisco Bay Area starting on Oct. 2.

Since founded in 2007, the non-profit organization committed to promoting Chinese martial arts in the United States has set up four centers in the Bay Area and another in Herndon, Virginia, with more than 1,000 students currently enrolled, said Yan Ran, chairman of Shaolin Temple USA, on Saturday.

"Many residents came to our centers seeking alternative treatment for sub-health conditions, such as back pain and weakness. We hope to combine Shaolin Kungfu with Shaolin Chan (Zen) medicine and Health Qigong to better serve the students and residents," said Yan Ran.

The Shaolin Chan Medicine, which combines the medicine of Chinese Buddhism and traditional Chinese medicine, has a history of over 1,000 years. It's closely related to the development of Shaolin Kungfu. Most of the prominent Shaolin monks in history were versed in Chan, Kungfu and medicine.

In recent years, Shaolin Medicine, a health care provider has published books on Shaolin medical practice over 800 years ago, has rediscovered secret prescriptions of Shaolin Medicine.

"Shaolin Medicine is ready to share those prescriptions with the world. It also plans to send experts to overseas Shaolin culture centers to provide health care service," said Yan Ran.

Like Kungfu, Chinese Qigong is getting increasingly popular among Americans in the Bay Area as they benefit from the breath-regulating exercise.

"I feel more balanced and energetic (after the exercise)," said a local resident, 69, who preferred to be identified as Sally W. She attended a Health Qigong demonstration at the San Francisco center of Shaolin Temple USA.

She was introduced to practice Qigong five years ago by her husband, who has been doing the ancient Chinese form of exercise for 10 years.

She said she preferred Qigong to other physical exercises because of the slow and gentle style and relaxed mind.

Health Qigong is a new form evolved from the traditional Qigong to meet the requirement of practitioners in modern society.

The Chinese Health Qigong Association has organized experts to create eight exercises of Health Qigong based on traditional Qigong theory, including Yi Jin Jing (Muscle-Tendon Change Classic), Wu Qin Xi (Five Animal Frolics), Ba Duan Jin (Eight Section Brocade) and Da Wu (Big Dance).

Health Qigong is a traditional national sport in China, which aligns physical movement, breath and mind adjustments as the major form of exercise, said Yan Ran.

It's a health-preserving exercise that can improve the functions of the body, he said.

To promote cultural exchanges between the United States and China, Shaolin Temple USA and the Wushu (Martial Arts) Department of Xi'an Physical Education have recently teamed up to send Chinese professors and students to the United States starting early next year.

The professors will help train Kungfu instructors, while the students will have the opportunity to receive training on qualifying for International Wushu Judges and to participate in international Wushu competitions in the United States, according to Yan Ran.
    THREADS:
    Stanford Shaolin
    International Health Qigong Tournaments & Gatherings
    International Health Qigong Association
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips