Thread: Real Steel

Real Steel

We had a Real Steel thread - Real Steel: Robot MMA, posted 05-26-2011, 09:24 AM by Xiao3 Meng4, but XM deleted it after about a month. And it didn't even become a flame war. I could revive it, but only if XM is okay with that. Otherwise, we'll just start from here.

Hugh Jackman in Cleveland: Actor talks up 'Real Steel' at WWE's live event
    Published: Tuesday, September 20, 2011, 7:30 AM Updated: Tuesday, September 20, 2011, 10:31 AM
    By Clint O'Connor, The Plain Dealer

So Hugh Jackman has finally reached the big time – announcing wrestling. In Cleveland.

Caught up with the ridiculously handsome -- and fit -- actor in the lower level of the Q before he headed out to be part of WWE's Monday Night Raw live event on USA Network. He's actually promoting "Real Steel," his new boxing-robots movie, which opens Oct. 7.

Jackman is a very friendly guy -- those **** Australians are such great company, always smiling. As a teenager, he was a wrestling fan, so he was psyched about his live appearance.

"Here's the deal," Jackman said. "When I was 17, 18, I watched some of these guys, Hulk Hogan, King Kong Bundy. My mates and I bought tickets and went to see them in Sydney when they brought the WWF stars there. It was WWF back then. I was a huge fan. I got so into the theater of it. It was fun."

He was jazzed to be a part of it at the Q. "I know, in terms of my mates growing up, forget hosting the Oscars. This is it. Now I've made it. My mates from high school will be well-impressed." It was the actor's first visit here.

"This is my first time in Cleveland," he said. "I'm excited to be here. It's a big sports town, I know."

"Real Steel" is a fun film with broad appeal. It co-stars Evangeline Lilly, Dakota Goyo and Anthony Mackie. Jackman's boxing coach for the film: Sugar Ray Leonard.

We'll be back with more of our conversation with Hugh about the film and his upcoming projects (coming in The Plain Dealer and on cleveland.com).
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

this is the rock em sock em robots movie right? i think i'll pass and wait for battleship

ya its the rock em sockem robots with wolverine lol
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Opens today

Here's my official review: REAL STEEL: Battling Maxo to MMA to Max
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Re

I remember a movie from the early 90's called "Robot Jox"> It's been done before but without the better sfx obviously.
    Tung Kong Hakka Chow Gar Naam Pai Tong Long

http://www.youtube.com/user/dmas5animals

According to BoxOfficeMojo.com

1 N Real Steel BV $27,300,000 - 3,440 - $7,936 $27,300,000
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Shaolin Kung Fu since he was 7 years old

Karl Yune of 'Real Steel' talks on wrestling, kung fu
    by Alex Prewitt

Karl Yune is a master of robot boxing.

Well, technically Yune's character Tak Mashido is the real master of robot boxing in the hit movie "Real Steel," but given the 36-year-old's background in marital arts, it's hard to tell the difference.

Mashido, the villain opposite Hugh Jackman's character Charlie Kenton, was the pioneer of robot boxing, taking it from the underground and transforming it into a mainstream obsession. Yune, for his part, was an undefeated wrestler growing up in Washington, D.C., and has been doing Shaolin Kung Fu since he was 7 years old.

"To be honest, I actually drew upon my experience in all these sports and applied it to my acting career," said Yune, a lifelong athlete who started soccer at age 4, wrestling at 8 and football at 10. "It's an extremely competitive business and when it comes down to not quitting and perseverance, those are all qualities and lessons that you learn from sports and training in sports.

"I just remember those football two-a-days and having to drop weight for wrestling, and I'd recall that and go if I put my mind to it, something great's going to happen."

Things are certainly looking up for Yune, who switched his major to acting after studying Shakespeare in a literature course. "Reel Steel" is currently the nation's top-grossing film, having once again winning this past weekend's box office.

So how much would Yune, who studied tech minds like Steve Jobs and Bill Gates to prepare for his role, pay for a real-life robot boxing match?

"Probably a couple hundred bucks," Yune said. "Thinking about it, the current champ, which is Zeus, my robot in the film, he doesn't just get in the ring, he leaps from outside into the ring. It's just this thundering spectacle.

"I definitely love mixed martial arts and boxing and all forms of competitive fighting sports, but there's just something crazy and spectacular about robot boxing."
    Note that Yune doesn't do any kung fu in Real Steel.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Oscar nominated

Doubt it'll win but worthy of adding to this thread.

Visual Effects / Real Steel Erik Nash, John Rosengrant, Dan Taylor and Swen Gillberg

Academy Awards History

This is the second Academy Award nomination for Erik Nash. He was previously nominated for:

I, ROBOT (2004)
    Nominee, Visual Effects

These are the first Academy Award nominations for John Rosengrant, Dan Taylor and Swen Gillberg.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

TV show

Jan 13, 2022 12:30pm PT
    ‘Real Steel’ Series in Early Development at Disney Plus

By Joe Otterson

©DreamWorks/Courtesy Everett Collection
    A “Real Steel” series adaptation is in the early stages of development at Disney Plus, Variety has learned.

The potential series would be based on the 2011 film of the same name, which was itself based on the short story “Steel” by Richard Matheson.

The film took place in the not too distant future in which human boxers have been replaced by giant fighting robots. Hugh Jackman starred as a former boxer who, along with his estranged son, fixes up an old robot they find in a junkyard and turns it into a champion.

As the project is still in the very early stages, no writer is yet attached. That means it is not yet clear if the show would adhere to the events of the original film or take a different direction altogether with new characters.

Shawn Levy, who directed the “Real Steel” film, will executive produce the series via 21 Laps. Robert Zemeckis and Jack Rapke of Compari Entertainment also executive produce, as does Jacqueline Levine, and Susan Montford and Don Murphy of Angry Films. The Disney Branded Television series will be produced by 20th Television.

Along with Jackman, the “Real Steel” film starred Dakota Goyo, Evangeline Lilly, Anthony Mackie, Olga Fonda, Karl Yune, and several more. Despite receiving mixed reviews from critics, the film went on to gross just shy of $300 million worldwide against a reported budget of $110 million. It also received an Academy Award nomination for best visual effects.

Should the “Real Steel” series move forward, it would be the latest attempt by Disney Plus to mine existing IP under the media giant’s umbrella as a new streaming series. In addition to the successful Marvel and “Star Wars” series that have already aired on Disney Plus, the streamer also has shows like “The Mighty Ducks: Game Changers,” High School Musical: The Musical: The Series,” and upcoming fare like “The Spiderwick Chronicles,” “National Treasure,” and “Willow.”
    threads
    Real-Steel
    Disney+
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips