Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: how many of you actually train seriously?

Ford Prefect Guest
    I dunno if this is serious, but this is what I do:

Saturday -
    Hindu-Squats 12 sets of 20
    Push-ups Pyramid 10, 12, 14,...20
    Wind Sprints
    Pull-ups 12 sets of 5
    Ab work
    Sand Bag Loading 50lb x 50
    Turkish Get-ups 3 sets of 50lbs x 5 ea. shoulder
    Back bridging
    MA Class (every other week or third week)

Sunday-
    Various endurance lifts (sand bag bear hug, clean and presses, farmers walks, kettlebell snatches)
    One set of Hindu Squats and Push-ups to failure
    One set of Push-ups to failure
    Ab Work
    Three sets of hand stand push-ups
    Back Bridging

Monday-
    Kettlebell Bent Presses 4x4
    Morning and Evening MA Classes

Tuesday-
    Extreme aerobic conditioning (many many many bodyweight exercises)
    2 Martial Arts Class in Evening (2-3 hours)

Wednesday-
    Endurance Lifts like Sunday
    Sand Bag Loading
    Ab work
    Turkish Get-ups
    Back bridging

Thursday -
    Kettlebell Bent Presses 4x4
    Morning and 2 Evening Martial Arts Classes

Friday -
    Ladder of Hindu Squats
    Ladder of Hindu Push-ups
    3 sets of Hand stand push-ups
    2 Ladders of Kettlebell Snatches
    3 sets of Turkish get-ups

My Martial Arts classes include Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Muay Thai, Boxing, and wrestling. I'm just coming off an injury and have only been able to get to 5 classes in the past two months. I've been working hard conditioning and rehabbing with this routine for the past month and am making my MA return next week. ;) Can't wait! Obviously I could be doing more agility work, but first things first. I'll also start olympic lifts in the fall again when I have access to free weights.

shaolinboxer Guest

Seriousness

Being serious is irrelavent.

Being sincere is essential.

SevenStar Guest
    So, a person's one day a week of sincere training has more benefit of one not as sincere that trains 5 days a week? Also, those who train seriously would also be sincere, I'd imagine. The two seem to go hand in hand.

-SevenStar©
    "I see!" said the blind man.

shaolinboxer Guest

Seriousness vs sincerity

This is a very personal issue and is difficult to define.

I personally prefer to train with people who have a firm grasp of balance within their lives. They train when they can because they love it and thoughtfully make time for it. They are patient with their technique, not concerned about how good they are but rather how their training makes them feel. They do their homework out of love for the art, and in the long run often become highly skilled (and have a much lower burn out rate). I would consider them to fall under "sincere".

There are other people whom I train with who are very gung ho about their training, but who's desire to "get good" removes their ability to keep a proper balance within their lives. It leads to difficulty within their personal relationships, and resentment towards others whom they feel threatened by. Often they burn out, or get permanently injured in one of their knees or elbows, and are so concerned with "effectiveness" that their technique actually (in the long run) is less effective. I would say these folks consider themselves "serious".

These are my personal definitions.

dumog93 Guest

good point

I totally agree.Enjoying what you are doing and the people around you has to be the most important part.I tend to think the same way,just glad to see someone else does as well.I personally work out on the weights 2 or 3 hours a week(deadlift,squat,bench) and do martial arts 3 times a week for about an hour.I do sometimes add time on the dummy,jog,etc. when i get the time/inclination and i seem to be doing fine(though i'm sure everyone wants to get to their "peak" faster.)

-Devildog