Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: who here has had knee surgery?

Unhappy who here has had knee surgery?

i need surgery asap,my meniscus is in the middle of my knee and acl is torn,i'm scrambling to get the money for surgery. i wont even walk proper if i don't get it done soon. so i'm wondering,who has had knee surgery,and after can you train like before? hard training competitions?

I tore my meniscus in jiujitsu, but only had to wear a brace for 3 months.

Once it healed, I lost a little flexibility in my knee, but otherwise I was fine.

Haven't used rubber guard since.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

yeah thats what happend to me the first time 8 years ago,this time it is seriuos i need surgery or forget traing i will be crippled

I had a partial medial meniscectomy, also removal of cartilage from patella and a lateral release. Only just over a month ago though so probably not the answers you're looking for regarding long term training implications but I am already doing deep lunges, single leg squats, bike, running and some jumping (no twisting or speed work yet). Several of my students have had similar ops and full reconstructions though and I can say how it has affected their training. I can answer any questions via PM.

BT

Yeah in 91.

It took a while but I got back to normal.

Take it slow & easy. Do your PT & don't get antsy & push recovery. It's called recovery, not normalcy.
    Message: Due to the ongoing Recession, God has decided the light at the end of the tunnel will be shut off due to power costs. That is all.

Quote Originally Posted by wiz cool c View Post
    i need surgery asap,my meniscus is in the middle of my knee and acl is torn,i'm scrambling to get the money for surgery. i wont even walk proper if i don't get it done soon. so i'm wondering,who has had knee surgery,and after can you train like before? hard training competitions?
    I have torn my left acl and meniscus and let it go for a while. The meniscus tear was leaking fluid out of my knee cap and formed a big sist. They had to go in Arthoscopic and repair the acl and meniscus and then they had actually cut me open to pull out the sist the size of a golf ball....eeewwwwu.

Get your cash together ! surgery ends up being about $10,000.00 USD give or take several thousand depending on the depth of your injury. Everyone wants a pile of your money! including anostesia / radiology / Hospital room / Bood work / Doctor etc etc

You will be fine a few months however, as you age you may have arthritus build up in your knee which sucks... I live on glucosomine.

ginosifu
    Last edited by ginosifu; 09-22-2011 at 06:19 AM.

Had my right knee done several years ago. Long distance running took its toll. Was in constant pain and the clicking and locking in my leg got to be more then i could tolerate. Best thing I did was have it scoped, meniscus cleaned up and my doctor generally cleaned up the joint. Knee was sore for several days and I needed crutches for about a week. Was walking by the weekend. Never ran distance again but will be testing for my Black belt shortly. So you got that going for you.

doctors want you to have surgery, but you guys shoudlve tried hormone therapy first. it can work miracles and heal really bad injuries.

i hear a lot of horror stories in martial arts about the knee and hips, so im being extra careful.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

I am not trying to start a fight here, but I think that certain fighting systems, like BJJ and Muay thai are poorly taught and for the most part do not have measures in place to prevent this sort of thing. And Muay thai is a self destructive practice. Also, we often tend to get careless and aggressive with training, and we end up with poor training habits. If a person has self inflicted injuries he needs to stop and look at how and what he is doing. Also, if the techniques and forms he is doing are injuring him, maybe he should drop them all together. Forcing the body and it's extremeties to do things that are not natural as to their movements is a very good way to self injure ones self.
    Jackie Lee

thanks for the advice info and support from everyone, by the way am in china,and will do surgery here ,so am doing lot's of research now to find a good surgeon

If your ACL is torn all the way, you will need surgery if you ever want to do anything athletic again. Mine got blown out when someone hit me too high on the leg on a takedown. I had ACL reconstruction surgery the week of my 50th birthday a year and a half ago. Two months after surgery I was back in tai chi class, and kung fu class after six months. Since the surgery, I've had more knee problems, probably miniscus related. I've chosen to forgo kung fu and focus on tai chi.

If you don't have insurance, I'm sure the surgery is expensive. Hope you can find the help you need.
    "The true meaning of a given movement in a form is not its application, but rather the unlimited potential of the mind to provide muscular and skeletal support for that movement." Gregory Fong

well it is set will have surgery this week,in shenzhen. thanks for all the support everyone.
    and be sure to read my article i this comming issue of kung fu tai chi [tiger claw strikes]
    Last edited by wiz cool c; 09-25-2011 at 09:17 PM.

so i finished the suregry,and acl repaired and my miniscus was in the middle of my knee that was repaired too. so i got this done in shenzhen china,the surgeon,has a great reputation,but the other doctors and nurse wow.

well i was told to wear this plastic leg brace for three months even while sleeping.anyone else have to do this in the states? or anywhere else?
    Last edited by wiz cool c; 10-04-2011 at 05:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by wiz cool c View Post
    so i finished the suregry,and acl repaired and my miniscus was in the middle of my knee that was repaired too. so i got this done in shenzhen china,the surgeon,has a great reputation,but the other doctors and nurse wow.

well i was told to wear this plastic leg brace for three months even while sleeping.anyone else have to do this in the states? or anywhere else?

On both of my knee surgerys I never had to wear anything. It depends though on the severity of your injury.

ginosifu

yep, in 1965 I had to have an operation for osteo-myelitis.

Hasn't bugged me since.

get well, take it easy and take care of your joints, they're important.
    Kung Fu is good for you.