Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: who here has had knee surgery?

Quote Originally Posted by wiz cool c View Post
    so i finished the suregry,and acl repaired and my miniscus was in the middle of my knee that was repaired too. so i got this done in shenzhen china,the surgeon,has a great reputation,but the other doctors and nurse wow.

well i was told to wear this plastic leg brace for three months even while sleeping.anyone else have to do this in the states? or anywhere else?
    I don't do ACL rehab, but my understanding is that relatively early mobilization tends to produce better functional outcomes - so i don't know about immobilizing the knee for 3 months, seems kinda outdated...

again it's not really my area (largely bec most ACL post-op stuff is protocol driven, and I find that sort of thing rather dull), but searching the net should give u a good idea about what's going on these days over here...if u find anything specific (e.g. - ACL rehab protocols) and have any questions about it, let me know

mayb some of the other physio / PT guys (Kwaichang and R) on here have something better to offer?

Is the brace immobilizing or does it allow movement? If not see below.

taai gihk yahn I am with you. My field is not in rehab but still in the ex physiology. All the research I know of fromm the muscle rehab subject in uni is that early mobilization leads to best results. Perhaps it is best if Wiz cool c ask what is the rationale behind immobilizing the knee.
    Go hard or go home or some where else up to you

http://therandomandthefit.blogspot.com.au/

the brace is adjustable,i think they said one month don't make it bendable, and not till six months later can you play none contact sports,and 1 year later contact and competitive sports. how does this sound to people outside of china who have had acl or meniscus repair,i had both by the way.

your doctor's advice contradicts everything i've read/know/been advised of on ACL reconstruction rehabilitation. keeping your leg immobile for that long will freeze your knee forever. however, getting back into sports before the graft has knitted can pull it out.

tore my ACL and partial tear of MCL in a takedown. popped my patellar ligament in BJJ. dislocated my knee 3x after.

i live in HK and had surgery in BKK (at the military hospital). ACL reconstruction from hamstring graft, repair of torn medial meniscus. my surgeon said NOT to use the big plastic ACL brace because now i have an ACL (makes sense). he told me to use the crutches for 6 weeks whether i needed them or not because of the meniscus. i was told to straighten the leg for a few days to prevent the graft from tightening thus keeping my knee at a permanent bend. my doctor said 8 months before returning to sports-related training, and 1 year before competition.

i was able to walk without crutches after 2 weeks, but still used one because my doc told me to. i did range of motion exercises for a month, and at 2 months i began a very aggressive self-imposed rehab. after 3 months, i went back to BJJ, warm up and technique only (with a neoprene + side stays brace). at 4 months i began light sparring. i am now 6 months post op. this past weekend i did 2 x 2hr boxing seminars (with the brace because i am still weaker in that leg and afraid of torquing it).

i am the best-case scenario. three guys in my gym had ACL replacement surgery and all were out for a year before returning. this is the norm. i seriously suggest you do a lot of research on ACL rehab ASAP. feel free to contact me and i'll pass on what info i have. REHAB REHAB REHAB! that's the key!

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLi View Post
    your doctor's advice contradicts everything i've read/know/been advised of on ACL reconstruction rehabilitation....REHAB REHAB REHAB! that's the key!
    this......

I had a knee surgery, I can tell the period of recovery really sucks. First of all, nearly 3 months I was in a wheelchair. Doctor said I should decrease activity to the minimum level. As for you, I would recommend to read some recommendations in a learning center https://www.scootersnchairs.com/pages/learning-center where you also can find a good wheelchair for the period of recovery. Anyway, good luck with your surgery mate!
    Last edited by slink; 04-25-2019 at 09:11 PM.