Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Best Kung Fu schools nearby

Best Kung Fu schools nearby

Does anyone know or can recomend which are some of the best Kung Fu schools on Long Island, NY that have very good Sifu's or places that teach well authentic Kung Fu?

I have been to a Kwoon before that was not so trust worthy so it's important I ask.

What are you lOoking for in your training?

If you are looking for forms then try a Kung Fu school. If you are looking to learn to fight than you might want to avoid kung Fu schools since most here can agree that Kung Fu schools do not spar.

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    R. Wilson sez:"If you are looking for forms then try a Kung Fu school. If you are looking to learn to fight than you might want to avoid kung Fu schools since most here can agree that Kung Fu schools do not spar."

What'chu talkin 'bout Willson?!

Pretty much every major Kung-Fu school on Long Island does spar:
    1) Ten Tigers Kung-Fu Academy-spars
    2) Ling Nam Siu Lum Kung-Fu Academy-spars
    3)Green Cloud Kung-Fu-spars
    4)Lung Fu P'ai -Spars
    5) Ortiz Chinese Boxing Academy-spars
    6) Shaolin Lohan Ch'uan-spars
    7) Chris Serra Wing Chun -spars
    8) Alan Lee Wing Chun-spars
    Last edited by TenTigers; 09-19-2011 at 07:22 PM.
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    R. Wilson sez:"If you are looking for forms then try a Kung Fu school. If you are looking to learn to fight than you might want to avoid kung Fu schools since most here can agree that Kung Fu schools do not spar."

4)Lung Fu P'ai -Spars

That is good to hear about these schools. Long Island Kung Fu is much better than the places I have seen.

Quote Originally Posted by RWilson View Post
    What are you lOoking for in your training?

If you are looking for forms then try a Kung Fu school. If you are looking to learn to fight than you might want to avoid kung Fu schools since most here can agree that Kung Fu schools do not spar.
    Im looking to do Kung Fu as part of a daily lifestyle, because it was something I was intersted in when I was much younger but never had the chance to

4)Lung Fu P'ai -Spars
    8) Alan Lee Wing Chun-spars
    Out of most of the schools listed of LI, which would be the best to choose with an instructor who's willing to put in the time to work with you and a reasonable price?

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark13 View Post

Out of most of the schools listed of LI, which would be the best to choose with an instructor who's willing to put in the time to work with you and a reasonable price?
    Why, Ten Tigers, of course!

What you need to do is check out all of them and find the one that you feel is the best match for you. Sometimes, it boils down to chemistry.
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Why, Ten Tigers, of course!

What you need to do is check out all of them and find the one that you feel is the best match for you. Sometimes, it boils down to chemistry.
    Hey thanks!

But I just heard from a few that Ling Nam and Chris Serras can be a bit over, trying to charge you more than the other schools and that their lineage is not accurate. I don't want to judge without checking them out but I don't want to waste money if their not recieving the training I want. Thats why im asking what anyones experience was like at any of these schools since they don't allow you to try out their class or I think even watch.

Hey thanks!

But I just heard from a few that Ling Nam and Chris Serras can be a bit over, trying to charge you more than the other schools and that their lineage is not accurate. I don't want to judge without checking them out but I don't want to waste money if their not recieving the training I want. Thats why im asking what anyones experience was like at any of these schools since they don't allow you to try out their class or I think even watch.
    Every school I have been to allows you to watch a class. This is the industry standard. As far as lineage is concerned who cares? As long as he teaches you what you want and it seems you want forms. That is fine.

The way dofferent schools charge depends mostly on location. If instructor A's location is more expensive than instructor B's than the former HAS to charge more. Do not think you are getting "your money's worth". Often tuition goes to covering rent and that is about it.

Every school I have been to allows you to watch a class. This is the industry standard. As far as lineage is concerned who cares? As long as he teaches you what you want and it seems you want forms. That is fine.

The way dofferent schools charge depends mostly on location. If instructor A's location is more expensive than instructor B's than the former HAS to charge more. Do not think you are getting "your money's worth". Often tuition goes to covering rent and that is about it.
    I see now, but why do some not like if you try a class? Is there a special reason? Besides at Ten Tigers do you know any of the other Sifu's like what the experience with them is like? Wish I had alot of money so I could just go to all of them

I see now, but why do some not like if you try a class? Is there a special reason? Besides at Ten Tigers do you know any of the other Sifu's like what the experience with them is like? Wish I had alot of money so I could just go to all of them
    YOu will have to take it up with each individual school. Some schools will only let you try a class only after you have signed up online meaning they have your money already. And then they will give you a problem when you try to cancel.

I trained at ling Nam Siu sum for a couple of years. The school teaches hung gar and wing chun. In my time there it was form only school, with some one step and pad drills. It may have changed since my time there, its been a few years. Ten tigers may have more recent information about what they are doing there nowadays.

I would recommend Ten Tigers because we ALL know Rik and we all know what type of person he is and what his views on Kung fu are, so you are already one step ahead of the curve on that.
    I would train with Rik in a heartbeat.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

I would play guitar with, ride bike with and train with Rik.
    All on the same day.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by maxattck View Post
    I trained at ling Nam Siu sum for a couple of years. The school teaches hung gar and wing chun. In my time there it was form only school, with some one step and pad drills. It may have changed since my time there, its been a few years. Ten tigers may have more recent information about what they are doing there nowadays.
    Mike Patterson said that 50% of what he teaches is forms and he is considered the cream of the crop when it comes to kung fu teachers that teach fighting. The point is is that you cannot get away from forms when doing tcma. If you do not want to do forms than do not do Chinese martial arts. Simple.

Mike Patterson said that 50% of what he teaches is forms and he is considered the cream of the crop when it comes to kung fu teachers that teach fighting. The point is is that you cannot get away from forms when doing tcma. If you do not want to do forms than do not do Chinese martial arts. Simple.
    Where did Shifu Patterson say that?
    I thought he said that majority of what he trains COMES from forms, not that 50% of what they do is "forms".
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !