Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Found the fighting Kung FU video for you

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    when i do forms, i make them look like kickboxing. problem solved.
    when i do forms, i wear magic shaolin pants like in the video. this allows me to maintain the connection to the ancestors of the one true source of martial art skill.

it's the magic pants i tell you. if you don't believe me look what it did for shinya aoiki:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsIn-9bPDEQ

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    So, out of curiosity, do we have ANY videos of full contact fighting that DOESN'T look like "kick boxing" ??
    This continues to be a giant fallacy. A form is an idealized expression of a technique/movement. Thats all. You would no more "do a form when fighting" than you would order a sandwich in prose or haiku.

If you want to see "the kung fu" look at the footwork, the choice of entry, positioning, strategy. Did he actually block something without using his face? Not just whether or not it looks like a movie. People who are expecting to see choice stances held for pictures after a strike are completely deluded.

Quote Originally Posted by Lebaufist View Post
    This continues to be a giant fallacy. A form is an idealized expression of a technique/movement. Thats all. You would no more "do a form when fighting" than you would order a sandwich in prose or haiku.

If you want to see "the kung fu" look at the footwork, the choice of entry, positioning, strategy. Did he actually block something without using his face? Not just whether or not it looks like a movie. People who are expecting to see choice stances held for pictures after a strike are completely deluded.
    If there is no "kung fu fighting" then how can one say "that's not kung fu, that's kickboxing"?
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

I didn't say there was no kung fu fighting. I'm saying people don't know it when they see it. They've been in compliant technique land too long.

Quote Originally Posted by Lebaufist View Post
    I didn't say there was no kung fu fighting. I'm saying people don't know it when they see it. They've been in compliant technique land too long.
    Which means there are videos of authentic kung fu fighting?
    We just have to know what to look for, right?

For me, you just saw them. Magic pants guy did fine. Had solid footing and good defense/offense. What more do you want, tassels?

In addition, those that say so and so kung fu is "kickboxing" obviously knows little...

....about kickboxing.

Magic pants was not following kickboxing stratagem.
    Last edited by Lebaufist; 09-23-2011 at 10:18 AM.

[QUOTE=Lebaufist;1134932]For me, you just saw them. Magic pants guy did fine. Had solid footing and good defense/offense. What more do you want, tassels?

The issue is, what made THAT "kung fu"?

And tassels would have just made awesome even more awesome.

Kung fu doesn't fight anyone, people fight. Using what they conditioned themselves to do.

If he has a solid footing and delivers a blow to an opening either created or found, What else would one need to see? If he uses a defense other than "turtle and brace for impact" you might actually have a kung fu fighter on your hands instead of a Pure Kickboxer®™© .

Blog Entries
    Kung fu doesn't fight anyone, people fight. Using what they conditioned themselves to do.
    that seems to be the most AVOIDED notion throughout this whole forum. I agree.
    Hung Sing Boyz, we gottit on lock down
    when he's around quick to ground and pound a clown
    Bruh we thought you knew better
    when it comes to head huntin, ain't no one can do it better

A better question is why are so called kung fu people looking for such over complexity in a fight?

If I avoid a strike and do a simple punch to the face and end it there, how is that NOT to my kung fu training's credit?

This is a video of me working the bag working exclusively on Kung Fu techniques:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y37Pj5MGxrw

This is a video of me working the bag doing exclusively Kickboxing techniques:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y37Pj5MGxrw

Please note the major differences so that we can move past this Kung Fu/Kickboxing mumbo jumbo and talk about something really important, like True2form.
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". -Cus D'Amato

LoL!!!!!..............

Blog Entries
    A better question is why are so called kung fu people looking for such over complexity in a fight?
    Its because they don't fight. The ones that don't fight don't realize that the way we use techniques in actual fighting is far different than what we do in forms. many people are too robotic and rely on the system working for them without them actually making it work. if you train enough you can make most things work. it just has to be modified a little. but my sifu always told us to keep it simple.

If I avoid a strike and do a simple punch to the face and end it there, how is that NOT to my kung fu training's credit?
    in my book it is.
    Hung Sing Boyz, we gottit on lock down
    when he's around quick to ground and pound a clown
    Bruh we thought you knew better
    when it comes to head huntin, ain't no one can do it better

Quote Originally Posted by hskwarrior View Post
    that seems to be the most AVOIDED notion throughout this whole forum. I agree.
    Pretty much.
    Whenever I see someone fighting full contact I expect to see this:
    Speed, focus, good footwork, angles, combinations ( in various forms of course).
    That is good kung fu.

When people see videos and see "that's just kickboxing", I can usually tell that they have no notion WHY full contact fighting tends to look a certain way REGARDLESS of what style is trained.
    It doesn't change the fact that:
    The sport combat crowd will say don't see much of a difference between that and KB"
    The "authentic kung fu" crowd will say," That's just kickboxing and not authentic TCMA"
    They are BOTH right, the difference is that the authentic kung fu crowd seem to regard "kickboxing" as an insult instead of the compliment that it truly is.

"kick boxing" is what a fighter does when he kicks and strikes at his most natural, when he is under pressure.
    How well he does it depends on how good he is of course.

Quote Originally Posted by hskwarrior View Post
    Its because they don't fight. The ones that don't fight don't realize that the way we use techniques in actual fighting is far different than what we do in forms. many people are too robotic and rely on the system working for them without them actually making it work. if you train enough you can make most things work. it just has to be modified a little. but my sifu always told us to keep it simple.
    ---------------------------------
    in my book it is.
    Yes, I'll go one further and say the modifications are really just the on the fly adjustments one MUST make in a chaotic and abstract situation. Such as the unpredictable angles, forces, and reactions of your opponent that tend to smear the picture perfect ideal of a form. In which case even the Pure Kickboxer®™© isn't immune. Otherwise all his fighting would look like the picture perfect form of his shadowboxing and padwork.
    Last edited by Lebaufist; 09-23-2011 at 11:06 AM.