Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Found the fighting Kung FU video for you

Your intentions will always fuel the what and how you train, in anything. Specifically training for any sport will always dictate certain goals to strive for in order to excel at that sport. The cool thing about most full contact fighting,and especially vale tudo/mma is that the rule set you are training for leaves you with an extremely large degree of cross over from sport to real life application. I'll use judo as an example; during ne-waza training, for the sport of judo, your goal is to obtain a choke, lock, or pin, and to be able to escape or prevent such attacks against your person. In that same training, from a self defense standpoint, you will be looking more heavily for the escape or passing guard to be able to strike, which can heavily supplement the escape. But you will always be looking for a quick way back to your feet to obtain mobility, preferably with some damage done to your attacker. The key is control, once your capable of asserting dominant control, you can do what you want. Its the same exact training session, but you'll take out of it what you go into it for. The only reason fighters square in the ring is because its a game, that's just tactic to feel out the pace and the other fighters cadence. Its just as natural thing to do when you can, such as in a sport fight. But in real reactionary or first strike situations, that's not usually going to even be an option. Its an automatic adjustment. Sorry posting from phone hard to see what I'm typing, bad for structure and spelling lol
    Last edited by Lucas; 09-24-2011 at 12:35 PM.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    Quote of the year!
    Another vote for quote of the year.

Mods should keep a ongoing replacement quote of the year tally, like one or two each, replacing your fave as you find better, then have a poll voting contest at e end of the year. Winning quote originator wins a kick in the nuts
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Whoa knockout at 0:52 in original vid
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

Quote Originally Posted by Northwind View Post
    From what I've read in this thread, I'm extremely curious to know if anyone out there has the same thoughts as I on this...

I see sparring and cage and challenge matches, etc. as something completely unto its own world - very different from barroom brawling or battlefields or from real-life defense; after all, no one comes up to you at the ATM and strikes a fighting stance, perhaps bouncing, perhaps getting grounded etc., and saying "Gimme your money".

This is NOT a "our stuff is too deadly for the ring" statement - so the tards who'd take that strawman stfu.
    A valid point.
    Yet, the attributes that one develops in "the ring" are the ones that serve one best "in the street":
    Speed, endurance, ability to hit, ability to take a hit, ability to hit WHILE taking a hit, ability to act AFTER getting hit.
    Things that CAN'T be cultivated without full contact sparring ( or at least hard contact).
    One shouldn't confuse the awareness needed for "the street" with the attributes developed in sparring and competition.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Blog Entries
    A valid point.
    Yet, the attributes that one develops in "the ring" are the ones that serve one best "in the street":
    Speed, endurance, ability to hit, ability to take a hit, ability to hit WHILE taking a hit, ability to act AFTER getting hit.
    Things that CAN'T be cultivated without full contact sparring ( or at least hard contact).
    One shouldn't confuse the awareness needed for "the street" with the attributed developed in sparring and competition.
    IMHO, if you are trained to fight in the ring then you shouldn't be fighting in the street. You are working towards becoming a "PROFESSIONAL FIGHTER".

Since there are many many elements missing IN THE RING that you find on the streets, ring fighting is the safest way to go. a street fighter who switches over to become a trained fighter will fare alot better than some guy who has never fought in his life. You might say that "the streets" in regards to Ring Fighting is an ENTRY LEVEL position.
    Hung Sing Boyz, we gottit on lock down
    when he's around quick to ground and pound a clown
    Bruh we thought you knew better
    when it comes to head huntin, ain't no one can do it better

Quote Originally Posted by hskwarrior View Post
    IMHO, if you are trained to fight in the ring then you shouldn't be fighting in the street. You are working towards becoming a "PROFESSIONAL FIGHTER".

Since there are many many elements missing IN THE RING that you find on the streets, ring fighting is the safest way to go. a street fighter who switches over to become a trained fighter will fare alot better than some guy who has never fought in his life. You might say that "the streets" in regards to Ring Fighting is an ENTRY LEVEL position.
    Well, that depends. There is a lot of ring fighting that is very dangerous in a real, life or death encounter. BJJ is a great example of this. In real life, ground fighting is based around firmly planting your opponent into the ground with the intent of disabling him as he is mashed into the pavement while You stay standing. You can't afford to get tied up BJJ style on the ground for any length of time.

You don't want to trade blows going back and forth like you see in the ring all the time. You have to quickly get through thier attacks to get in and scissor them over.

Things not legal in the ring, like smashing thier ankles after they fall, knee dropping on thier floating ribs as they hit the ground, kneeing on thier throat and "soccer ball "kicking them in the head are all illegal moves in MMA. Because of this, they tend not to be trained.

When you start bringing knives into the deal, Ring fighting skills become even more dangerous. The reason is that ring fighting programs one to stand and position themselves in such a way that thier very vulnerable to knife attacks. The way a ring fighter enters for a common Jab for instance, is like jabbing his hand into a blender (Juicer for you modern kids) to a knife fighter.

You have to know how to protect your neck, the main veins of the arms, and the legs as well. All are exposed in ring fighting. Ring fighters TRAIN to ignore these areas because they are not a threat in the ring. When a ring fighter ends up in the street, he's not going to deviate from his training.

Street fighting is not an "Entry Level" to professional fighting. They are two different things. It's like saying Basket Ball is the entry level to Baseball. Sure they have commonalities. Both games are played with a ball for instance. However, they are really completely different animals.
    Last edited by RD'S Alias - 1A; 09-27-2011 at 07:40 AM.

i think its that people train so much in forms and these techniques that they actually would like to see them used once or twice. instead of hearing stories of their master back 40 years ago in hong kong OR how awesome their art was in ancient china (or something). but fights are so random you have to just use what comes from instinct and that's often blocking and striking. and every art has blocking and striking so people get confused.

in the end who cares as long as you are the victor/safe/whatever?

"Real life" violence just happens and is often more emotional/rage filled.... in some ways its easier, because the movements tend to be exaggerated and undisciplined. With that said it's ALWAYS more dangerous because of numbers (multiple people), weapons, drugs, law.

Blog Entries
    Street fighting is not an "Entry Level" to professional fighting. They are two different things. It's like saying Basket Ball is the entry level to Baseball. Sure they have commonalities. Both games are played with a ball for instance. However, they are really completely different animals.
    I stand on my personal belief that street fighting CAN be considered an entry level towards professional fighting because of the experience and knowledge it provides. I never learned wrestling yet the streets taught me how to do things like Sprawl, guillotine, take downs, and certain throws etc etc.

but in the street, there is no sportsmanlike conduct or even respect. Therefore, what the streets teach you, you can bring that into the ring. the only real issue is being untrained vs trained. just my opinion based from my own experience.

Things not legal in the ring, like smashing thier ankles after they fall, knee dropping on thier floating ribs as they hit the ground, kneeing on thier throat and "soccer ball "kicking them in the head are all illegal moves in MMA. Because of this, they tend not to be trained.
    In the streets we would use these types of attacks.
    Last edited by hskwarrior; 09-27-2011 at 09:16 AM.
    Hung Sing Boyz, we gottit on lock down
    when he's around quick to ground and pound a clown
    Bruh we thought you knew better
    when it comes to head huntin, ain't no one can do it better