Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mt. Song Martial Arts Academy

Mt. Song Martial Arts Academy

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anybody here has heard of or had a chance to train at Mt. Song Martial Arts Academy in Tampa Fl. If so, what was your experience, would you recommend it?

I was just in Florida...

...but I was near Ft. Lauderdale, not Tampa.

I know nothing of this school. This is the one, right?
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Hi Gene

Yes Sir...that is the one. Shifu Salazar supposedly trained under Shi De Yang in China. (Please note I only say supposedly because I havent seen anything prving that claim). It would be interesting hearing peoples first hand accounts with this teacher

His website says he is of the 32nd generation, which would be right if he was Deyang's disciple. LFJ would know for sure, he is a disciple of Deyang and I asume he would know all of Dayang's students in the U.S.

Thanks for the replies everyone. LFJ...you out there?! Have you heard of this Shifu training under Shi De Yang?

I thought LFJ was still in Dengfeng

Talk about going to the source.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Three months late to the party but I trained with Mario for two years if you still wanted some info on the school.

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis9700 View Post
    LFJ...you out there?! Have you heard of this Shifu training under Shi De Yang?
    No wonder I missed this thread, I was still in China with Shi Deyang at the time of your posting.

I can tell you this, Shi Deyang took his first foreign disciples in 2008, and at this point only has seven. Five of them were just this year- none of them from the U.S..

About the teacher in question, I have never met him or heard of him training at Shi Deyang's school, much less directly with him, unless it was many many years ago.

However, I did see a video of him on youtube years back performing Dahongquan (Shi Deyang's specialty) with a caption saying he learned it from Shi Deyang.

I noted that the version was not the way Shi Deyang performs it, nor the way he teaches it. I learned it one-on-one with him, so I'm quite certain.

Shi Deyang has a ton of people claiming to be his disciples, both foreign and Chinese. He just laughs, because he either met them once or has no clue who they are.

Not exactly sure of the guy you all keep talking but I do know Mario has been to China several times to train but the teacher I heard him talk about most is Master Liu.
    http://www.shaolin-world.net/people/masterliu
    Cung Le trained with Liu for sanda if you need some credentials (this much I can say for certain as I've spoken to Cung in person about it).

Mario Salazar, the teacher in question, just through a benefit tournament for Toys for Tots, this past weekend. His and my school made up most of the competitors.
    We had a great time and I got to see him and talk to him.

If you have a question of his lineage or where he learned just ask him by phone.
    He did say that he had trained with Master Liu and had experience organizing his tournaments.

He did

I have trained with Shifu Mario for a few years now. Best decision I have made in my life was starting shaolin kung fu at this school.
    It is a very relaxed and easy going environment full of people passionate about training. Come by and have a chat with us if you have some spare time we love to meet new people who share our passion.Thanks for the shout out Tianan Mantis, again it was a pleasure having you and your students at the charity.

Shifu Mario did train first with shi De Ru (master liu) in mobile, through that contact he has trained with Shi De Yangs school on many separate occasions in dengfeng. I personally have trained with him(shifu salazar) years and actually spent this summer in denfeng at De Yang's school as well, through a trip organized by Shifu Salazar. De Yang Shifu may not remember him because it was infact many years ago and he only stayed for a few months at a time due to the need to come back stateside but he made this trip many times.

Here's us and the group we trained with summer 2011, we are going back again this summer 2012.
    Last edited by lee jiaolian; 01-04-2012 at 10:46 AM.

How are the Sanda classes under Mario? Having been coached by Master Liu, I would hope it be pretty good, but I wonder if his classes are intense or just a kickboxing class.
    "Neither is "safe", if you want to be safe stay home and play with yourself" -lkfmdc

The last few months I was with the school I switched from the Northern Shaolin classes to sanda. Def a good work out. Conditioning, pad/bag work, light to full contact sparring, etc. Typical punches and kicks with throws incorperated which were a lot of fun to learn. Mario also throws in some BJJ sometimes so it's a nice bonus. I left the school in 2009 due to a back injury so I suggest going in and trying the class out. They typically will let you try out a week of classes for free (that includes the N Shaolin and tai chi).

Quote Originally Posted by LFJ View Post
    Shi Deyang has a ton of people claiming to be his disciples, both foreign and Chinese. He just laughs, because he either met them once or has no clue who they are.
    Not in reference to Salazar, but do you think one of the reasons people claim to have been taught by De Yang is because they've learned through his video series therefore they claim to have learned from him directly?

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolin View Post
    Not in reference to Salazar, but do you think one of the reasons people claim to have been taught by De Yang is because they've learned through his video series therefore they claim to have learned from him directly?
    This is just me but I really hate it when people take a seminar and then list the master that they took it from as their teacher or claim to be their student. People should just list them as a teacher. To be a disciple you must take the vows and they are not to be taken lightly. If you have studied with a Master for a seminar or for two weeks it is true that you are a disciple of Shaolin but not of the Master, he must accept you as his student and you must have gone through the discipleship ceremony. In the ceremony, at least the Shaolin one, you take vows to the Master and to Shaolin, so you then officially become a disciple of Shaolin and of your Master.