Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mook Yan Jong - is it useless?

Mook Yan Jong - is it useless?

Is the Wooden Man a waste of space?

Does it actual serve a purpose?

Does the wooden man train you how to flow, utilize and develop power, use your structure to generate power, use your steps correctly to generate power and also condition your limbs?

Are is the Wooden man only for solo training when you have no real partners to train with.

Should the Wooden Man be apart of Wing Chun if so why?
    The Flow is relentless like a raging ocean with crashing waves devasting anything in its path.

"Kick Like Thunder, Strike Like Lighting, Fist Hard as Stones."

"Wing Chun flows around overwhelming force and finds openings with its constant flow of forward energy."

"Always Attack, Be Aggressive always Attack first, Be Relentless. Continue with out ceasing. Flow Like Water, Move like the wind, Attack Like Fire. Consume and overwhelm your Adversary until he is No More"

try not using one for a few years and then go back to it...

it tightens up the moves/angles, gives you something to use a bit energy on that will not complain and also makes you think about application and theory.

Its also great from hanging coats from

Paul
    www.moifa.co.uk

ditto... but don't leave it years or you'll never find it under the coats
    A clever man learns from his mistakes but a truly wise man learns from the mistakes of others.

Wing Chun kung fu in Redditch
    Worcestershire Wing Chun Kuen on facebook

No.

Are you?
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

Some sifus on here have stated a wooden man is useless?

So what is the purpose of the Mook Yan Jong?
    The Flow is relentless like a raging ocean with crashing waves devasting anything in its path.

"Kick Like Thunder, Strike Like Lighting, Fist Hard as Stones."

"Wing Chun flows around overwhelming force and finds openings with its constant flow of forward energy."

"Always Attack, Be Aggressive always Attack first, Be Relentless. Continue with out ceasing. Flow Like Water, Move like the wind, Attack Like Fire. Consume and overwhelm your Adversary until he is No More"

Blog Entries
    If you don't have training partner at home, the

- wooden man is good to train your strik, and
    - throwing dummy is good to traing your throw.

Hello,

The Dummy helps to refine the angles of your technique. IMHO, the way the dummy reacts to the force projected into it can help to determine if the techniq is applied at the proper angle. An example is the Bong Sau; when applied the arm should go up and the opposite corner and the body of the dummy should turn slightly. This will indicate the proper angle and even degree of force.

Also when moving around the dummy applying techniques your stance is worked and you can use the reactive force from the dummy to insure your stance is also correct.

My opinion anyhow.
    Peace,

Dave

http://www.sifuchowwingchun.com
    Wherever my opponent stands--they are in my space

I would have thought that this subject might have been more obvious to a WC practitioner, or is this just to get discussion going?
    You can not exert yourself in the same manner on your training partners. And you can't go around doing this on strangers either. The wooden dummy was introduced a very long time ago, and they have been of just about every shape and function. You don't really have to follow set protocal either, and just use your imagination in putting together patterns and forms.
    Not only do you get to apply and develop your offensive and defensive techniques, but you also get to apply and develop your footwork. Your footwork technique gets you where you need to be when you need to be there. You can practice entry technique, kicking, defending, and offensive offensive technique. I feel that the mook is a very important part of your WC training. I don't think it would be much good in other systems though. But I don't know that.
    Jackie Lee

It's easy to say that the dummy is for honing one's actions on but there is more to the muk jong than that. The dummy is very specific to Ving Tsun training and improvement. The height and angle of the upper limbs. The position of the middle limb and the leg are laid out like that for a reason. It's not just a training subsitute and it doesnt represent a human being.

Without the dummy certain attributes required for fighting would not be possible. In fact even asking the question of whether it is useless poses some worrying questions.

GH

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshiyahu View Post
    Only if it's used as a coat hanger!

Does it actual serve a purpose?
    Yes.

Does the wooden man train you how to flow, utilize and develop power, use your structure to generate power, use your steps correctly to generate power and also condition your limbs?
    Yes to all of that, and more imho.

Are is the Wooden man only for solo training when you have no real partners to train with.
    I was always taught that the Wooden Man represents your Sifu, so yes it's for solo practise but must be appoached with respect.

Should the Wooden Man be apart of Wing Chun if so why?
    Of course. Because without it where would we be?
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

Now I am scared too................I also agree with Graham.......what is next different WC lineages sitting in a circle around a fire making smores (which I do not like) and singing........perhaps there is indeed "Hope for the Future"
    Peace,

Dave

http://www.sifuchowwingchun.com
    Wherever my opponent stands--they are in my space

Quote Originally Posted by Sihing73 View Post
    ........perhaps there is indeed "Hope for the Future"
    there is always hope Dave
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

Some sifus on here have stated a wooden man is useless?

So what is the purpose of the Mook Yan Jong?
    The jong is a piece of equipment in the same way as a wall bag, punch bag, focus mits etc Traditionally it would be used to refine positions, footwork and energy but its uses are only limited by the imagination of the user. It can be used as a kicking post, to train sensitivity, to drill single techniques, drill specific combinations etc Ultimately its a piece of wood or plastic so it is what you make of it
    A clever man learns from his mistakes but a truly wise man learns from the mistakes of others.

Wing Chun kung fu in Redditch
    Worcestershire Wing Chun Kuen on facebook

Quote Originally Posted by wingchunIan View Post
    The jong is a piece of equipment in the same way as a wall bag, punch bag, focus mits etc Traditionally it would be used to refine positions, footwork and energy but its uses are only limited by the imagination of the user. It can be used as a kicking post, to train sensitivity, to drill single techniques, drill specific combinations etc Ultimately its a piece of wood or plastic so it is what you make of it
    Ok, so it's a piece of equipment but there is much more substance in dummy training unlike a punch bag or the wall bag. This unique piece of training apparatus has evolved along with Ving Tsun itself. I wouldn't say it is limited by one's imagination either. It serves very specfic purposes. Any fool can make a bit of wood look like a man and hit it but Ving Tsun is a little cleverer than that and it has been adapted by some great fighting minds specifically for VT improvement.

Could you explain how you can train sensitivity on the dummy?

GH

Quote Originally Posted by Graham H View Post
    Could you explain how you can train sensitivity on the dummy?
    Can you explain it's 'very specific purposes?'
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術