Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why can't we train our striking art the same way as we train our throwing art?

Blog Entries

Why can't we train our striking art the same way as we train our throwing art?

There are many striking skill that exist in boxing, MT, TKD that doesn't exist in TCMA.

If we compare the Chinese striking art to the Chinese throwing art, old Chinese saying said, "There are 360 major throws. The number of minor throws are as many as the number of hair on a cow's body." If the Chinese throwing art can cover all throws, there is no reason that the Chinese striking art can not cover all striks. After all, the number of punch and kick are much less than the number of the throws.

Even if ancient Chinese understood that no one will be able to master all throws in his life time. people still spent their effort to make the Chinese throwing art "complete". It just seems to me that the ancient Chinese didn't do a good job for the "completeness" of the Chinese striking art. Instead of creating a comple TCMA striking system, our ancestors just created too many styles.

If we don't think about "my style does this and your style does that" instead of "how many ways that we can use our punches and kicks", the Chinese striking art may be able to complete oneday.

When you train your throwing skill, you don't care whether a throw comes from SC, Judo, or wrestling. Why do you always have "style" in mind when you train your striking art?

What's your opinion on this?
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 09-26-2011 at 04:10 PM.

Throws and take downs are good to train, I agree.

For striking, I don't train so much for style as precision and force.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

I've yet to find anything that doesn't fit within the precepts of my style.
    "The man who stands for nothing is likely to fall for anything"
    www.swindonkungfu.co.uk

Blog Entries
    I've yet to find anything that doesn't fit within the precepts of my style.
    I second that notion
    Hung Sing Boyz, we gottit on lock down
    when he's around quick to ground and pound a clown
    Bruh we thought you knew better
    when it comes to head huntin, ain't no one can do it better

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    There are many striking skill that exist in boxing, MT, TKD that doesn't exist in TCMA.

If we compare the Chinese striking art to the Chinese throwing art, old Chinese saying said, "There are 360 major throws. The number of minor throws are as many as the number of hair on a cow's body." If the Chinese throwing art can cover all throws, there is no reason that the Chinese striking art can not cover all striks. After all, the number of punch and kick are much less than the number of the throws.

Even if ancient Chinese understood that no one will be able to master all throws in his life time. people still spent their effort to make the Chinese throwing art "complete". It just seems to me that the ancient Chinese didn't do a good job for the "completeness" of the Chinese striking art. Instead of creating a comple TCMA striking system, our ancestors just created too many styles.

If we don't think about "my style does this and your style does that" instead of "how many ways that we can use our punches and kicks", the Chinese striking art may be able to complete oneday.

When you train your throwing skill, you don't care whether a throw comes from SC, Judo, or wrestling. Why do you always have "style" in mind when you train your striking art?

I think styles are bull$hit. If I want to learn a specific way to punch or kick someone, I go and learn it. If I want to learn a new form 'cuz it looks cool regardless of "style", I go out and learn it. There is no style, there are no secrets. it's all just concepts. Now I don't know SC, but Judo is just basically three core throws and a sacrifice... everything else is just a variation of one of those.

Quote Originally Posted by hskwarrior View Post
    I second that notion
    Same here.

shuai doesnt mean throw, it means smash. you guys should think about it.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MightyB View Post
    I think styles are bull$hit.
    Agree with you 100% there. Some XingYi guys may be proud to tell you that his XingYi Beng Chuan is superior than the boxing jab. To me, whether your opponent can be knocked down by your punch or not, that's the only thing that matters.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 09-26-2011 at 07:06 PM.

Agree with you 100% there. Some XingYi guys may be proud to tell you that his XingYi Beng Chuan is superior than the boxing jab. To me, whether your opponent can be knocked down by your punch or not, that's the only thing that matters.
    How about whether or not you can actually land the jab?
    Sith Legal Kung Fu is unstoppable.

Blog Entries
    In this forum, some people just like to discuss subjects that only has to do with their style. That's "style boundary" IMO.

With Wrestlkng it is safer to train full contact.
    Striking sparring leads to many injuries.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RWilson View Post
    With Wrestlkng it is safer to train full contact.
    Striking sparring leads to many injuries.
    Just like the floor mat can make the wrestling safer, the head gear, chest protection, shin pad, and gloves can make the sparring safer. I had used the Kendo gear for sparring before. When my opponent punched or kicked on my chest, I couldn't even feel anything. That will be too much protection IMO.

http://www.google.com/imgres?q=kendo...w=1344&bih=659
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 09-26-2011 at 09:46 PM.

last I checked Bak Mei doesn't throw swinging punches but they love swinging swords...if you take a fixed stance like they do in MMA and keep your hands up while walking into two dudes with sticks and knives you will get ****ed up I think ancient Chinese realized you better keep it moving and get good at changing posture a lot which is why they have so many foot works and animal stances... MMA is horrible to teach to women for self defense, if she thinks she is going to square up with an NFL lineman she's screwed or how about Rampage Jackson getting dummied by a newbie bones Jones...how is rampage going to defend himself when he is 60 and a young bones Jones Jr decides to **** him up lol what's he gonna do take a boxing posture or pull out a stick and run around like crazy trying to poke at soft spots?.

Gung Fu is real **** it's body mechanics passed down from dead warriors...UFC is just a form of hard sparring **** I've seen better fights between teenage girls on a native reserve with no ref's, one beer bottle and a chain with a lock on it.
    Last edited by diego; 09-27-2011 at 01:15 AM.

But I think the Chinese striking art is as complete as any.

In China I have never encountered the 'Thats not in my style' attitude. Every technique has a name. And more often than not that name is the same accross the board from north to south. If a style doesn't have a form that contains a specific technique it will still be happy to practice this technique seperately with its name.

Amongst the old masters I have encountered there is no division between the chinese martial arts in terms of allowed technique. All technique is interchangeable. More often than not the guiding principles of the styles are the same. The theories are the same. Taiji and Shaolin may look different to many people but when isolating the individual techniques you will find they often have the same names and the same use and are done the same way, albeit with slightly different performance flair.

I think there are more strikes than there are throws. Chinese Martial Arts is so diverse that I think anyone would be hard pressed to mention a technique from a non chinese style that does not appear somewhere in a TCMA.

Quote Originally Posted by diego View Post
    last I checked Bak Mei doesn't throw swinging punches but they love swinging swords...if you take a fixed stance like they do in MMA and keep your hands up while walking into two dudes with sticks and knives you will get ****ed up I think ancient Chinese realized you better keep it moving and get good at changing posture a lot which is why they have so many foot works and animal stances... MMA is horrible to teach to women for self defense, if she thinks she is going to square up with an NFL lineman she's screwed or how about Rampage Jackson getting dummied by a newbie bones Jones...how is rampage going to defend himself when he is 60 and a young bones Jones Jr decides to **** him up lol what's he gonna do take a boxing posture or pull out a stick and run around like crazy trying to poke at soft spots?.

Gung Fu is real **** it's body mechanics passed down from dead warriors...UFC is just a form of hard sparring **** I've seen better fights between teenage girls on a native reserve with no ref's, one beer bottle and a chain with a lock on it.
    Lol tell you what go face rampage in a no holds fight and see how you do against him.
    Your post is a classic example of why TCMA (some of it) is seen in such a poor light by fighters and sports guys: you talk about how bad the UFC is, how bad it is for self defence for a woman or a 60 year old, but you cant post a clip of a young athletic guy using what you are talking about and winning in a safe environment, Yet somehow you think what you do WILL work for someone not as athletic who is older slower and much smaller when there are NO rules

MMA teaches woman how to hit, take getting hit how to deal with an opponent trying to throw them on the ground and how to get up when an opponent is on top of them intent on hurting them….sounds like good self defence to me….. is it all they need no but if they can deal with the above adding some throat shots dangerous tactics etc is easy….if all you have are those and not a good tested delivery system…good luck

On the flip side if you are so sure you can handle a linesman or rampage post clips of yourself training against these guys sparring hard, or heck fighting hard under real pressure so we can see your stances and tactics in action and se how superior it is and how much better it is than this UFC rubbish

And to those who say they don’t need to posts clips that’s fine, but if you cant post clips or find any videos to back up your statements doesn’t that tell you something about the validity of your argument?

But hey you can always just ignore this post and continue to think of yourself as a superman a UFC fighter killing machine