Thread: Over Hook (Cracking)

Blog Entries

Over Hook (Cracking)

I just find this beautiful short clip. This throw not only takes your opponent down. It also put you in dominate position. I'm glad to see that more throws are used in cage fight.

Sometime when you talk about "head lock", people will say that the head lock is very risky because you will give your opponent a chance to have one of his arm to wrap around your waist. What people may not realize that is your opponent's waist holding will give you a chance to apply "over hook (crack)" on his arm. The "over hook (crack)" is a door open move which can lead you into many throws (depend on how your opponent will response to your "over hook (crack)". The head lock and over hook are twin brothers. One can be changed into another smoothly.

The harder that your opponent tries to hold on your waist, the easiest it will be for you to use your over hook. The contact point is given to you for free. If you use both hands (one hand hold on his arm and one hand hook on his arm), it will be very difficult for your opponent to get away.

What's your opinion on this move?
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 09-26-2011 at 07:12 PM.

ifl

post too short 1234567890
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

The state that resembles a middle finger.
    Modified wizzer. Ive used this many times
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i had an old taichi lady talk smack behind my back. i mean comon man, come on. if it was 200 years ago,, mebbe i wouldve smacked her and took all her monehs.
    i am manly and strong. do not insult me cracker.

ashi garuma

Sorta a combo ****zer/ashi garuma :' )

udoinfo.com/images/animations/blue/ashiguruma.htm

FWIW

R

It won't let me saw wh*zzer.... ???

:' P

Beautiful throw!!!!!

I prefer the under hook but you have to make due sometimes with what's there. I just say that because I don't think having the over hook is an advantage, just that the thrower recognized the position first.

Greetings,

I enjoyed the timing of the technique. The guy did not see it coming nor did he seem to have a clue about what to do about it. His response to the entire applicaton of that technique was a humongous "WTF??!!??!!".

mickey

gonna have to try that tomorrow night Never thought of using a wh!zzer to throw a harai goshi.

in Ba gua zhang

it is called lying bull leg

or wo niu jiao.

cool.

great execution, loved the single arm. It IS great to see this in MMA. Some people are training correctly
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Teaching traditional Ba Bu Tang Lang (Eight Step Praying Mantis)
    Jin Gon Tzu Li Gung (Medical) Qigong
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Teacher always told his students, "You need to have Wude, patient, tolerance, humble, ..." When he died, his last words to his students was, "Remember that the true meaning of TCMA is fierce, poison, and kill."

I would say most of those guys are training intelligently and at a high level... just that everyone has their areas of expertise.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Pina View Post
    I prefer the under hook...
    I like both over hook and under hook. The over hook is the twin brother of the head lock. The under hook is the twin brother of the waist surrounding (bear hug).

For a

- shorter person, the under hook has advantage to "lift" your taller opponent.
    - taller person, the over hook has advantage to "crack" your shorter opponent.

Both skills have it's proper place.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Pina View Post
    I would say most of those guys are training intelligently and at a high level... just that everyone has their areas of expertise.
    completely agree. i can unashamedly admit that i would definately NOT want to fight a top of the line Pro UFC fighter in the street or in the cage. I dont by any means consider myself weak or a pansy...but man..those guys are on a whole different level than most people...the conditioning alone..sorry i cant fight for 25 minutes with that level of intensity. those title fights can be BRUTAL!!! if any of you guys think you can do that, then try out for ultimate fighter and prove it!!! im sure they would love a kungfu guy that knows his game. its all about the pros. when i think mma those are the guys i think of, they are the bar, and if you want to be an elite fighter, you will be training to reach that bar...
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

The state that resembles a middle finger.
    I prefer under over myself, but tend to gravitate towards double underhooks for dumping.
    i had an old taichi lady talk smack behind my back. i mean comon man, come on. if it was 200 years ago,, mebbe i wouldve smacked her and took all her monehs.
    i am manly and strong. do not insult me cracker.

That was. A display of excellent timing, thank you.
    To the mind that is still, the whole universe surrenders.
    -Patanjali Samadhi

"Not engaging in ignorance is wisdom."
    ~ Bodhi

Never miss a good chance to shut up