Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: my first rotator cuff injury

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    holy crap that is exactly what happened to me!!!!
    Nice!! Martial arts and mountain biking! Is there anything greater? Well I guess there is but I have to actually talk to my wife for the other thing. These I can do on my own.

4 months later and I'm still in pain. How annoying.

It's like 85% better but still.

I still can't squat because holding the bar in place requires pulling my shoulder back into the painful ROM, and I don't want to do anything that causes any pain at all. The only "exercise" I've done for the last 3 months is my rehab exercises and stretches.

I keep reading conflicting advice about tendonitis. Some studies say NSAIDs help. Other say NSAIDs are contraindicated. Others say they help in the short term but cause the tendons to heal weaker than if NSAIDs were not used.

Then there is advice to use other anti-inflammatory supplements, such as Curcumin and Bromelain.

Other studies say that inflammation is not even an issue with tendonitis and it's something else.

Some people say ice.

Others say heat.

Some say both.

Or neither.

Some people swear by this supplement called Cissus. Other people say it's a huge scam.

It's super irritating. I want to get back in the gym.
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

Quote Originally Posted by IronFist View Post

I still can't squat because holding the bar in place requires pulling my shoulder back into the painful ROM, and I don't want to do anything that causes any pain at all. The only "exercise" I've done for the last 3 months is my rehab exercises and stretches.

I keep reading conflicting advice about tendonitis. Some studies say NSAIDs help. Other say NSAIDs are contraindicated. Others say they help in the short term but cause the tendons to heal weaker than if NSAIDs were not used.

Then there is advice to use other anti-inflammatory supplements, such as Curcumin and Bromelain.

Other studies say that inflammation is not even an issue with tendonitis and it's something else.

Some people say ice.

Others say heat.

Some say both.

Or neither.

Some people swear by this supplement called Cissus. Other people say it's a huge scam.

right there with you bro...its somewhat depressing...
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    right there with you bro...its somewhat depressing...
    How's your injury coming? You said you were like 50% back in October.
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

Some people say ice.

Others say heat.

Some say both.

Or neither.

Sounds like the inpingment I had that I now have AGAIN !
    Yep it tends to re-occur.
    It got worse because, like an ass, I didn't listen to my body.
    I hurt it doing some LIGHT cleans and aggravated it doing, well...anything really.
    I feel it more doing pull ups and overhead presses.
    I can still do them and that is why I did them and made it worse.
    Physio worked for me last time ( massage, accupuncture and rehab exercises) but I don't know when I will have time to do them this time around.
    Last edited by sanjuro_ronin; 02-14-2012 at 12:29 PM.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

How's your injury coming? You said you were like 50% back in October.
    well i kind of aggrivated/reinjured it, but ive stopped being stupid... im about where you are right now 80ish%, just doing rehabilitation exercises and stretching. this is honestly the first injury ive had where i cant just work around it. it seems like when ever i try train, i just do something in the wrong range of motion and mess it up..

im going to lay low and keep working at it until i feel confident i wont worsen
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

This is a good reminder for me to keep up with the prehab exercises. Without the constant nagging pain it is easy to forget.

I still have some pretty drastic neuro-muscular adaptations to deal with.

I still make really "guarded" movements anytime I raise the affected arm throughout the ROM that would trigger the impingement. In fact I think this maladjustment prolonged the inflammation.

I have to do a lot of work really watching my shoulders and focusing on a relaxed, even and natural range of motion. Even then I catch myself tensing up in anticipation of the "pop".

If I were you I would stop weight lifting and focus more on holistic exercises like the 8 piece brocade, etc and if possible see a (good) TCM doctor.

Western medicine may provide much conflicting advice.

Eastern philosophy provides simple, and direct advice, all ailments are caused by yin yang disharmony, restore the harmony and you are healed.

"Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win."
    - Sun Tzu

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    fwiw, i had the same issue with doing squats, back or front. some stretching helped...but not much.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    fwiw, i had the same issue with doing squats, back or front. some stretching helped...but not much.
    Rotator cuff impingement tends to make the position of "hands up" a bit painful and when you get under the bar to do a back squat it puts the shoulder in that angle.
    Impingement syndrome (Rotator cuff tendinitis, Bursitis).

WTF is wrong with you guys? If you just stuck with doing just kung fu, non of this would have ever happened. MMA knuckleheads....

Quote Originally Posted by Brule View Post
    WTF is wrong with you guys? If you just stuck with doing just kung fu, non of this would have ever happened. MMA knuckleheads....
    Know how I hurt it the first time?
    Kung fuing the Heavy bag !!
    LOL !

What, the PE fist to the bag? no wonder.

Quote Originally Posted by Brule View Post
    What, the PE fist to the bag? no wonder.
    Nah, it was a simple closed fisted hook.
    Just a little too much torque for the shoulder to handle.

Of course if I had been doing forms it never would have happened

Now i know you're lying. A hook? in kung fu? blah!!!!You were kickboxing and threw a shovel hook.