Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: House of Flying Daggers

House of Flying Daggers (a.k.a. Hero 2)

Anyone seen it yet? Review?

it's NOT Hero 2.....
    "pain is not my enemy; it is my call to greatness. " - Henry Rollins

Baltimore San Shou

WWW.NLPF.NET

“The only undefeated fighters are those who do not compete.” – Coach Sonnon, MMA.tv

Well, it's out on DVD and I saw it. It was good, but IMO not as good as Hero.

I think Zhang Xiyie (sp?) was hot in this movie... and again I would bone her just like the Japanese/Chinese actor did.
    "Don't Focus on the Fingers or You will miss all the Heavenly Glory!"

Morbicid-"Maybe some moves are made just so that, if u somehow manage to pull them off in a fight, u get some serious bragging rights.

Many famous fighters have done this (roy jones jr, chuck norris, Morbicid, etc)"

House of Flying Daggers

It's unfair to compare it to Hero since it didn't have a fraction of the budget. But as the third CMA art film, it was very entertaining. Sort of Zatoichi meets Legolas, a martial arts homage done by none martial artists, a bamboo grove fight ala CTHD, a spy love story, an opulant film like one expects from Zhang Yimou. If you're lusting for Zhang Ziyi's naked shoulder, this movie is for you.

Personally, I liked the film. It's not that ambitious really, even long-winded at times, the fight scenes are unspectacular, and finale didn't resolve everything to my satisfaction. But the film still has merit for it's style. The whole idea of art martial arts films is a new genre that I like to encourage. Zhang can still direct some fine moments and compose shots in some of the most beautiful locations, mostly autumn groves in this film.

I hear that Zhang is working on his third martial arts film now. That's great. What martial arts movies need now is more art directors and less music video directors.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

oooooo, naked shoulders!

wait a minute...

too much clam in teh viewing these days I guess, but a shoulder doesn't get me there anymore. What next? Heroin?
    Kung Fu is good for you.

naked shoulders

Yeah, the naked shoulder thing was a bit gratuitous. If you see the film, you'll know what I mean.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

I watched the film, and in my opinion... it was total b@lls. Zhang Yimou is simply Oscar hunting in his neverending quest to outdo Ang Lee, since CTHD. I will admit that the camera work and set design is pretty d@mned good due to his background. However, some aspects of it are just soo melodramatic and cheesy in an obvious attempt to jerk the tears. Bah.

I believe he even said (before the opening), "If this movie doesn't make you cry, call me" or some BS. lol I imagine his phone was busy as hell after that.

The part I hated the most was when his favorite diva, Zhang Ziyi, gets killed all to h3ll, and the warriors battle it out. Apparently, they command soo much chi, or they fight for soo long that the season changes to winter... Finally, as the battle is starting to wind down a bit... Zhang jumps up after having been dead since at least mid-June, and bids for that final tear-jerker.

Yimou needs to learn to make movies for the sake of creating art and the craft itself, instead of trying to create formulaic pap to beat a rival. I mean, after all... Asia (among others) seems to be one of the last wellsprings of original plot lines and stories. The last thing he wants to do is start to emulate the crap coming out of Hollywood nowadays. /rant off
    "If you and I agree all the time, then one of us is unnecessary."

It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in argument.
    - William G. McAdoo

Against stupidity, even the Gods contend in vain...

just saw it!

i thought it was way better then hero as it had one consistant story not the same story told three times, i thought the fights were much better(except of course donnie vs jet) and there were more of them, hero was good but, i can't stand to watch it twice and thats seize alot to me about a movie, i 've already seen house of flying daggers twice!!!!! thats just my opinion thou

I still think the comparison to Hero is unfair

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

I'm looking forward to seeing it....
    practice wu de

Actually I bored everyone to death. Even Buddhist and Taoist monks fell asleep.....SPJ

Forums are no fun if I can't mess with your head. Or your colon...
    uh-oh, I hope no one quotes me on that....Gene Ching

I'm not Normal.... RD on his crying my b!tch left me thread

Entertaining.

Hard to compare the two as the story line dictated the action sequences.

hero was much more a thinker's movie.
    My wife hated it because she couldn't understand all the time line stuff. I've seen her filipino movies and she has the nerve to complain!!!!

Man when I saw Hero on VCD I had to watch it a few times, subtitles and all that.

What I really like about the two movies is the scenary. Wow

Yes, the cinematography was awesome.

The cinematography was excellent. Sadly the plot was predictable and cliched. The ending was such a cliche that most of the theatre actually laughed (not good in high tragedy). I can forgive bad plot in a kung fu movie, and I can forgive bad kung fu in an art movie, but bad plot and bad kung fu?
    "The man who stands for nothing is likely to fall for anything"
    www.swindonkungfu.co.uk

Greetings,

I really did not like this movie. It seemed more interested in look than with story. What are Gurka knives doing in this movie?

I like Andy Lau and this movie was a poor vehicle for his introduction to the West. The guy is a excellent actor who carries a depth of seriousness that is reminiscent of the late Anita Mui. I hope he chooses a better movie next time. He would also be one of my picks for the next James Bond: the others being Jet Lee and Michael Jai White.

mickey
    Last edited by mickey; 11-28-2004 at 02:02 PM.