Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Choy Lee Fut VS Pak Mei

Ray is dumb the average kung fu student is like 5 foot 8 less than 175 pounds..even if they win they are only elite lightweights lol Mike Tyson would punch em out so great they are elite midgets wow lol who cares just be happy you can spar most people dont have the time. Martial arts always lived with the rich and the talented..besides a poor person is going to attack with weapons not a jab and takedown. Reflexes and agility is all we can rely on and its all gone if you make it to 85 anyway you better have a firearm permit and hope dementia doesnt **** up your eyesight.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Pina View Post
    You see one and then a return to base. And then maybe another and return to base.

You don't see a succession of large, telegraphed windmill like strikes....if you saw that tendency in a fighter it would be front kick city and double leg takedowns all day. That's why I didn't see those element strikes even in the San Da footage.
    Perhaps, in your search on the tube you have not bumped into this yet....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WaUxI6R-79o

it's not Choy Li Fut but it's a style that I believe on certain aspects resembles it some how.
    Can you tell what style is that without reading the comments?

There you have it,...TCMA in MMA used as it is trained and winning, perhaps one of the few cases,..but still.....

Ciao
    Last edited by Gru Bianca; 10-08-2011 at 09:07 AM.

Blog Entries
    it's not Choy Li Fut but it's a style that I believe on certain aspects resembles it some how.
    Can you tell what style is that without reading the comments?
    It really looks alot like choy lee fut. but it could be White Crane. I know they use stances and the Sow Choy alot too

wow....if that sow choy at 7:37 would have landed....good night. haha
    Last edited by hskwarrior; 10-08-2011 at 09:30 AM.
    Hung Sing Boyz, we gottit on lock down
    when he's around quick to ground and pound a clown
    Bruh we thought you knew better
    when it comes to head huntin, ain't no one can do it better

Quote Originally Posted by hskwarrior View Post
    It really looks alot like choy lee fut. but it could be White Crane. I know they use stances and the Sow Choy alot too

wow....if that sow choy at 7:37 would have landed....good night. haha
    what he was doing resembles more to me to a chau choy then sow choy but...you got pretty close anyway
    Last edited by Gru Bianca; 10-08-2011 at 10:13 AM.

Blog Entries
    what he was doing resembles more to me to a chau choy then sow choy but...you got pretty close anyway
    oh, haha, for us thats a sow choy. for a muscular guy he had a nice loose swing. you can tell when someone tries to MUSCLE his way through a Sow Choy...

This forum is crazy, I tell ya. OP asks for some info on Pak Mei & CLF in NY. I post one possible school to check out (maybe the one he was asking about initially), and that leads to 8 pages of uptight, unsolicited pontification.

I can't take seriously any martial artist (well, anyone, really) who can find the time to talk so much ****. I'd rather offer advice when asked, and train for my own personal reasons.

Good luck finding what YOU are looking for, Frenchie.

Quote Originally Posted by Lebaufist View Post
    That only means you competed in a tourney, against whom? Anybody of note? How does that distinguish you from the guy who did hard contact in his basement? The level of talent is the same.
    We'll forget skill because I know of skilled men who train in their basements and garages. Tough individuals. Usually older, former fighters.

But do you think the level of intensity is the same between a sanctioned, pro MMA event that one trains months for specifically, in which friends, families and people who paid for the medical exams, license, hotel/food/travel are overseeing is the same as "hard contact" (I'm assuming you mean sparring) in the basement?

One is literally a fight until you finish. The other is training.

Quote Originally Posted by XinKuzi View Post
    This forum is crazy, I tell ya. OP asks for some info on Pak Mei & CLF in NY. I post one possible school to check out (maybe the one he was asking about initially), and that leads to 8 pages of uptight, unsolicited pontification.

I can't take seriously any martial artist (well, anyone, really) who can find the time to talk so much ****. I'd rather offer advice when asked, and train for my own personal reasons.

Good luck finding what YOU are looking for, Frenchie.
    I think those pages inform one what to look for when seeking a place to train combat.

We now know here are:
    The forms and light chi sau/line drill schools
    Form, light chia sau/line drill and beat foam noodle institutions
    Some form, some chi sau/line drills but mostly kick boxing schools

We also learned that most here tie themselves to the last group but very few are producing fighters here, except Ross. Who I would guess has cut form out almost completely, except to cater to the more delicate types. I doubt his real fighters have time for form.

We also learned that Choy Le Fut will be able to handle BJJ in 2021.... that's very exciting.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Pina View Post
    I think those pages inform one what to look for when seeking a place to train combat.

We now know here are:
    The forms and light chi sau/line drill schools
    Form, light chia sau/line drill and beat foam noodle institutions
    Some form, some chi sau/line drills but mostly kick boxing schools

We also learned that most here tie themselves to the last group but very few are producing fighters here, except Ross. Who I would guess has cut form out almost completely, except to cater to the more delicate types. I doubt his real fighters have time for form.

We also learned that Choy Le Fut will be able to handle BJJ in 2021.... that's very exciting.
    And we also know now how selective you are in your researches.

To Frenchie

As an answer to your question, let me tell you that I trained under Sifu Wong Zen Yem of the Brooklyn CLF school and really got amazed of his skills and even more amazed of his willing to teach. Also, Sifu Wong's students were very receptive and willing to exchange techniques and ideas.

I have previous experience in another TCMA, but - it's only me here, right? - Sifu Wong's CLF changed my way to generate and deliver power in such a way that my stand up game improved considerably. At this writing, my hands and feet training is focused in CLF (although not limited to that CMA).

I'm from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, and belong to Alexandre Nogueira's (Alexandre Pequeno, 7x Shooto Japan Champion, who also fought in K1 and WEC) MMA club (pictures on FB). I have a full time job and do not fight professionaly, though.

Unfortunately, I had no time to visit the Pak Mei school (I wanted to, but things got somehow astrayed from the original plans). However, my wife's family has moved from Rio to NY, so there will be more opportunities to visit the city and train in the future.

Please, visit the schools, try a class and make your choice.

Hope this is of some help.

Thanks for the input, Marcelo-RJ. I've been interested in hearing from someone who studied with Sifu Wong. If I were anywhere near him, I'd love to visit his school.

Quote Originally Posted by Gru Bianca View Post
    And we also know now how selective you are in your researches.
    Watch out, he's.............

............superior.

He's received a magic blanket he wears as a cape. Given to him by the dark lord of the rings.

Quote Originally Posted by Lebaufist View Post
    Watch out, he's.............

............superior.

He's received a magic blanket he wears as a cape. Given to him by the dark lord of the rings.

yeah,... a magic blanket made of weed smoke

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Gash View Post
    That wasn't the question you asked, now was it? You asked where the Choy Li Fut fighters were, I pointed to their participation in legitimate full contact events, you tried to change the argument
    He asked a question. Got an answer. The answer leads to another question. That's not changing the topic, they were relevant statements. That's called logic.