Thread: Help! Pins and needles

Hybrid View

Thanks for the responses.

I do pay attention to how I train, I.e be sure not to jar the elbow whilst punching. I'm starting to think the problem may be related to my shoulder as well. I'm not suggesting what I'm being taught is causing this but maybe it brings out the underlying symptoms. We do exercises such as holding the arms out horizontally and circling and I have noticed that during these repetitions I occasionally get a pins n needles sensation beginning in my hand. I will make conscious effort to stretch and recover as there is likely irritation on the nerve in shoulder/arm pit. I have seen a few exercises on YouTube that may keep things in balance.

*top crusader thanks for the specific advise, I wasn't sure how common it was to have symptoms in BOTH hands as apposed to just one. I will continue to monitor over next week or so and then look to my GP for further options or referrals.

Neeros I saw my sifu and had a massage of the wrist arm and shoulder which alleviated the symptoms somewhat in the short term. He highlighted my need to massage limbs post training. I just suspect I have the beginnings of something that may require more than this although I still prefer prevention than cure!

Go see a Chiropractic Doctor, we have specific tests for nerves.

MD's are almost useless for anything other than trauma medicine or internal medicine (maybe).

from a GENERAL perspective, not having taken a thorough history or examined u, what u report suggests that there is something about the way that u position urself when sleeping somewhere from ur neck down to ur hands is creating entrapment / compression - it could b local at the wrist, but it also could b up at the cervicals, creating nerve root compression;

the distribution suggests something along the path of ulnar nerve, but again, the entrapment / compression could be further up, or at multiple levels;

the fact that u get tingling when holding ur arms straight out in front and doing circle could suggest restriction at the level of the thoracic outlet (junction of cervical and thoracic spine and then out to the side a bit, in the groove behind the clavicle)

I would suggest getting thoroughly evaluated by someone GOOD; for example, one option is to go find a GOOD manually oriented PT who can do neural tension testing and neural glide treatment (a la David Butler); of course, a GOOD chiro, osteo, acupuncturist, etc. could treat u out of their own paradigm with excellent results as well, but NTT is very specific to the nerve as well as the location of the compression, so it's a useful tool in ur case; in theory, a GOOD neurologist / physiatrist can give u an accurate diagnosis as well (notice emphasis on the word "GOOD"; unfortunately, as Fa Xing points out, a lot of MD's r less than helpful w this sort of thing; of course, a lot of PT's, chrios and osteos su(k as well - unfortunately, mediocrity is not profession specific...)

if it's sleep related, that can b tricky to work with - I do things w my patients to address that, but it's very individualized, and requires a lot of analysis (we try to recreate their sleeping position, which involves something almost like a guided imagery process where u have to get them to spontaneously assume their sleeping postures);

lastly - is it one side or bilateral? either way, u shud get it evaluated, but if it's bilateral, u shud go c a neurologist or physiatrist ASAP, as bilateral stuff can b spinal cord related (it doesn't have to b, but if it is, u want to know that);

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    from a GENERAL perspective, not having taken a thorough history or examined u, what u report suggests that there is something about the way that u position urself when sleeping somewhere from ur neck down to ur hands is creating entrapment / compression - it could b local at the wrist, but it also could b up at the cervicals, creating nerve root compression;

the distribution suggests something along the path of ulnar nerve, but again, the entrapment / compression could be further up, or at multiple levels;

the fact that u get tingling when holding ur arms straight out in front and doing circle could suggest restriction at the level of the thoracic outlet (junction of cervical and thoracic spine and then out to the side a bit, in the groove behind the clavicle)

I would suggest getting thoroughly evaluated by someone GOOD; for example, one option is to go find a GOOD manually oriented PT who can do neural tension testing and neural glide treatment (a la David Butler); of course, a GOOD chiro, osteo, acupuncturist, etc. could treat u out of their own paradigm with excellent results as well, but NTT is very specific to the nerve as well as the location of the compression, so it's a useful tool in ur case; in theory, a GOOD neurologist / physiatrist can give u an accurate diagnosis as well (notice emphasis on the word "GOOD"; unfortunately, as Fa Xing points out, a lot of MD's r less than helpful w this sort of thing; of course, a lot of PT's, chrios and osteos su(k as well - unfortunately, mediocrity is not profession specific...)

if it's sleep related, that can b tricky to work with - I do things w my patients to address that, but it's very individualized, and requires a lot of analysis (we try to recreate their sleeping position, which involves something almost like a guided imagery process where u have to get them to spontaneously assume their sleeping postures);

lastly - is it one side or bilateral? either way, u shud get it evaluated, but if it's bilateral, u shud go c a neurologist or physiatrist ASAP, as bilateral stuff can b spinal cord related (it doesn't have to b, but if it is, u want to know that);

This.

Your problem most likely originates at your cervical spine. If you find that posture change or a few ibuprofen tablets help...then it's most likely inflammation around the axial nerve or compression of the spinal cord itself.

Symptoms this mild usually correct themselves, but it may be an indicator of future problems if your disks are degenerating (as all disks do).

A nerve conductivity test will locate the source of the impingement, then your GP can manage your therapy from there.

Just remember...the longer that you allow compression on the nerve, the more likely the damage will be permanent.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RD'S Alias - 1A

I have easily beaten every one I have ever fought.....

Hello guys! That is such an interesting topic. I always loved kung fu and wanted to try it one day and the only needles and pins in my life were pins with kung fu panda on my backpack, lol)) Wish I would try it one day. Can you share with me some schools that I should attend here in USA, if you know of course, and thank you so much in advance!

1st ban of 2020

Kyle2019 is banned for ttt-ing the Help! Pins and needles with spam. I have replaced that spam with our forum sponsors (approved spam).

What is it with this dumb bot spam strategy?
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart