Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Elbow Stroke?

Elbow Stroke?

Hello,
    I have heard of a technique in Tai Chi (and other internal arts) called an Elbow Stroke. Is this just another way of saying elbow strike?
    Lastly, does it refer to one specific motion or is it a general category of elbow techniques?

Thanks!

Blog Entries
    If your elbow strike comes from your "Dantian rotation", it's call elbow stroke.

An "internal" guy's elbow stroke at your heart can interrupt your blood supply to your brain which can cause you to have "stroke". You will be paralized for the rest of your life. Next time when an "internal" guy raises his elbow, you should run like hell. Never mess with any guy who trains "internal".
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 10-08-2011 at 08:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    If your elbow strike comes from your "Dantian rotation", it's call elbow stroke.
    I thought u were stroking someone else's elbow, like, if u were in a bar, and this beautiful girl walks up next to you order a drink, u stroke her elbow; or, if u r into "performance art", you dip ur elbows into paint and use the "elbow stroke" to create an abstract expressionist Taoist piece;

An "internal" guy's elbow stroke at your heart can interrupt your blood supply to your brain which can cause you to have "stroke". You will be paralized for the rest of your life. Next time when an "internal" guy raises his elbow, you should run like hell. Never mess with any guy who trains "internal".
    John, u shud know better than this: by the time he raises his elbow, it's too late; what u need to watch for is the tell-tale characteristics of an internal practitioner, while he's still at 100 paces: eyes half open, the slightest faintest smile just at the corners of the mouth, some sort of loose fitting outfit, a lot of suppressed rage coupled w egregious feelings of inadequacy, counterbalanced by a sense of smug superiority but weighed down by the burden of bearing great responsibility for possessing a set of deadly techniques that could never be used for real lest they kill someone and and seven generations of their family in both directions - when u see someone in this state, u had better get out of Dodge...

Quote Originally Posted by TopCrusader View Post
    Hello,
    I have heard of a technique in Tai Chi (and other internal arts) called an Elbow Stroke. Is this just another way of saying elbow strike?
    Lastly, does it refer to one specific motion or is it a general category of elbow techniques?

Thanks!
    srsly, yeh, it's an elbow that you deliver by pulling the guy by the arm into it at the same time; it's not a big deal; but taiji people like to be abstruse...

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    I thought u were stroking someone else's elbow, like, if u were in a bar, and this beautiful girl walks up next to you order a drink, u stroke her elbow; or, if u r into "performance art", you dip ur elbows into paint and use the "elbow stroke" to create an abstract expressionist Taoist piece;

John, u shud know better than this: by the time he raises his elbow, it's too late; what u need to watch for is the tell-tale characteristics of an internal practitioner, while he's still at 100 paces: eyes half open, the slightest faintest smile just at the corners of the mouth, some sort of loose fitting outfit, a lot of suppressed rage coupled w egregious feelings of inadequacy, counterbalanced by a sense of smug superiority but weighed down by the burden of bearing great responsibility for possessing a set of deadly techniques that could never be used for real lest they kill someone and and seven generations of their family in both directions - when u see someone in this state, u had better get out of Dodge...
    Don't forget knees slightly bent, shoulders lowered (slumped) and his anus sucked up his a$$!

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    srsly, yeh, it's an elbow that you deliver by pulling the guy by the arm into it at the same time; it's not a big deal; but taiji people like to be abstruse...
    Im glad someone on here took my questions somewhat seriously! I swear some of the people on here that have 2000 posts, 75% of those posts are all bull****! lol!

Elbow uses short energy.

Peng, Lu, Ji, An are long.

Cai, Zhou (elbow), Lie, Kao are short.

People think Taiji is all long energy. But the short energy stuff is really brutal. All knee, elbow, hip and grabs. Kind of like Ba Ji.

Here's the Canon fist where you can see it at work:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6I9gf-Clac

The key to defeating the elbow stroke

chain punch his face!
    The Flow is relentless like a raging ocean with crashing waves devasting anything in its path.

"Kick Like Thunder, Strike Like Lighting, Fist Hard as Stones."

"Wing Chun flows around overwhelming force and finds openings with its constant flow of forward energy."

"Always Attack, Be Aggressive always Attack first, Be Relentless. Continue with out ceasing. Flow Like Water, Move like the wind, Attack Like Fire. Consume and overwhelm your Adversary until he is No More"

Im going to resurrect my own thread!

Another question regarding "elbow stroke". Is that term somewhat exclusive to Tai Chi or other 'internal' arts or is the term "elbow stroke" used throughout Chinese martial arts to reference hitting with the elbow?

Thanks again

Blog Entries
    Many years ago I asked a question, "What's the difference between internal hip throw vs. external hip throw?" I still have not received any anwer yet.

When you associate "elbow" body function to "internal" or "external", It's just like to ask people what's the difference between "internal' keyboard typing vs. "external" keyboard typing. People just can't take it too serious. The elbow strike has nothing to do with "internal' or "external". You can strike your elbow:

- downward,
    - upward,
    - horizontal,
    - straight forward,
    - backward.

In TCMA, there is even an elbow form that has all the elbow techniques.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENNYpZeYY0c
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 09-15-2012 at 07:37 PM.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

Many years ago I asked a question, "What's the difference between internal hip throw vs. external hip throw?" I still have not received any anwer yet.

When you associate "elbow" body function to "internal" or "external", It's just like to ask people what's the difference between "internal' keyboard typing vs. "external" keyboard typing. People just can't take it too serious. The elbow strike has nothing to do with "internal' or "external". You can strike your elbow:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENNYpZeYY0c
    It's more like the difference of using office on a PC and on a Mac. The operating system is different but the program is almost identical.

May be this article is of interest to this topic - Zhou - the Elbow Power:

http://taichi-philosophy.blogspot.de...bow-power.html

All the best

Martin

Quote Originally Posted by TopCrusader View Post
    Hello,

Thanks!
    Zhou Fa elbow methods

The area around below joints plus forearm methods in Tai Ji and other CMA styles.

Cai Lie Zhou Kao

Zhou means more than elbow that is.

Zhou methods not only about strike

but also about neutralization of the opponent's power.

Hua Jin that is.

Blog Entries
    please don't stroke my elbow if you're a man. I only let da ladie's stroke my elbow!
    Hung Sing Boyz, we gottit on lock down
    when he's around quick to ground and pound a clown
    Bruh we thought you knew better
    when it comes to head huntin, ain't no one can do it better