Thread: Praying Mantis Books/DVDs

Praying Mantis Books/DVDs

There are a plethora of resources in English for 7* Praying Mantis, such as the DVD collection produced by Jon Funk (extremely comprehensive), the Martial Skill University DVDs (4 forms but their website has a bunch of techniques), and the book series by Paul Eng (5 forms with techniques). I'm most interested in Taiji and Plum Blossom but I was wondering what all good resources people have found, in English, for the various Northern Praying Mantis styles? I've went back a couple of years on the threads in this forum and couldn't find a good discussion on the topic.

Quote Originally Posted by kuniggety View Post
    There are a plethora of resources in English for 7* Praying Mantis, such as the DVD collection produced by Jon Funk (extremely comprehensive), the Martial Skill University DVDs (4 forms but their website has a bunch of techniques), and the book series by Paul Eng (5 forms with techniques). I'm most interested in Taiji and Plum Blossom but I was wondering what all good resources people have found, in English, for the various Northern Praying Mantis styles? I've went back a couple of years on the threads in this forum and couldn't find a good discussion on the topic.
    Unfortunately, most of the books and DVD/VCDs of the Mantis families, other than Northern Mantis/Seven Star (Taiji, Meihua, Taijimeihua, Babu and Liu He), are only in Chinese.

I have over 400 video clips, 52 DVD/VCDs and a few books that cover all of the most well known mantis families. Plus several friends who teach different families of mantis.

If you have a specific question about a specific family, send me a PM and hopefully I can point you in the right direction.
    Richard A. Tolson
    https://www.patreon.com/mantismastersacademy

There are two types of Chinese martial artists. Those who can fight and those who should be teaching dance or yoga!

53 years of training, 43 years of teaching and still aiming for perfection!

Recovering Forms Junkie! Even my twelve step program has four roads!

I appreciate the reply. I figured my search might be fruitless. If only I knew Mandarin, lol. I've found a number of plum blossom VCDs/DVDs for it. I'm currently a student of taiji mantis but will be moving/losing my teacher in a few months so I was trying to find some good reference material to perhaps learn a little more for. Well, I guess I can always do a bit of cross-training...with 7*.

Who do you train with now?

In June I am scheduled to train Taiji Tanglangquan with Master Zhou Zhendong in Yantai.
    Richard A. Tolson

There are two types of Chinese martial artists. Those who can fight and those who should be teaching dance or yoga!

Sounds like quite a trip! How long are you going for? I've been entertaining the idea of making a trip there but we will see how it goes...it's hard to run off for kung fu training when you have a family.

I study under Sigung Steven Baugh, who is a student of Kam Yuen. Most of my Mantis studies have been with one of his senior students.
    Last edited by kuniggety; 04-27-2012 at 08:37 PM.

I was pretty sure I had looked at this website before but I found a few DVDs in Chinese but with English subtitles. Score! I will probably order these soon and post a review of them when I get them.

http://www.plumpub.com/sales/dvd/dvdcoll_mantisTC.htm

Sounds like quite a trip! How long are you going for?
    If all goes as planned, I will be there for eleven days.

I've been entertaining the idea of making a trip there but we will see how it goes...it's hard to run off for kung fu training when you have a family.
    I know, I am a husband and father with a career outside of martial arts.

I study under Sigung Steven Baugh, who is a student of Kam Yuen. Most of my Mantis studies have been with one of his senior students.
    Sounds like a great opportunity!
    Richard A. Tolson

I was pretty sure I had looked at this website before but I found a few DVDs in Chinese but with English subtitles. Score! I will probably order these soon and post a review of them when I get them.

http://www.plumpub.com/sales/dvd/dvdcoll_mantisTC.htm
    Great peeps there! I have almost every mantis DVD and VCD that they sell. Plus many books from there.

And their customer service is excellent!
    Richard A. Tolson

Quote Originally Posted by mooyingmantis View Post
    If all goes as planned, I will be there for eleven days.
    Are you studying with just him or anyone else too? If it's just him then I'm sure it'll be a mind blowing TCPM experience even in that short amount of time.

I know, I am a husband and father with a career outside of martial arts.
    You know my pain then.

Sounds like a great opportunity!
    I consider myself very lucky. I just kick myself for living here for so long before beginning my studies there only to now have to move.

And thanks for the feedback on plumpub! It's reassuring when purchasing from online sources.

Are you studying with just him or anyone else too? If it's just him then I'm sure it'll be a mind blowing TCPM experience even in that short amount of time.
    I am just studying with Master Zhou. He will be teaching me the set, Meihua Lu (Plum Flower Road). I am already familiar with the Hong Kong Qixing version and a Taiji Meihua version. Plus the applications for both versions.

So, I don't think it will be very hard to learn the set in a short time.

Good luck on your search and training!
    Richard A. Tolson