Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: wing chun stance and it's grappling weakness

I had the pleasure of training with my 250 pound student who was a college wrestler. When we faced off, he would drop down quickly and get my lead leg fairly easily. However on his 3rd attempt, I moved out of range immediately and then popped him with a committed jab. He immediately stopped and said that this would disrupt his ability to get set to take me to the ground. So as long as I was a moving target, it would be difficult. Ving Tsun is not some stiff martial art that relies only on a limited set of strikes. It can be deployed to whatever situation needed, which includes using a lot of mobility. Even though I used a jab, the jab is just a technique.
    Moy Yat Kung Fu - Martial Intelligence

Quote Originally Posted by Lindley View Post
    I had the pleasure of training with my 250 pound student who was a college wrestler. When we faced off, he would drop down quickly and get my lead leg fairly easily. However on his 3rd attempt, I moved out of range immediately and then popped him with a committed jab. He immediately stopped and said that this would disrupt his ability to get set to take me to the ground. So as long as I was a moving target, it would be difficult. Ving Tsun is not some stiff martial art that relies only on a limited set of strikes. It can be deployed to whatever situation needed, which includes using a lot of mobility. Even though I used a jab, the jab is just a technique.
    ...lead legs are also easily kicked by MT...same reasons to stay without a lead leg....

all stances has benefits and costs, same as with other technics.
    The goal is to use the best tool at hand for the moment, so saying this or that works best is stupid at best

Quote Originally Posted by jesper View Post
    all stances has benefits and costs, same as with other technics.
    The goal is to use the best tool at hand for the moment, so saying this or that works best is stupid at best
    We work on a % basis rather than absolutes for this reason....

What is this with constant concern with Wing Chun not having anti take down? Ever watch UFC or the Octogon? These guys are supposed to be some of the best and yet they all get taken down. No one is immune to being taken down. Wing Chun is no different, and it is not lacking simply because it isn't any different. Someone said to train against it. And that is the bottom line. Train against takedown if you are afraid of it.
    I rather doubt seriously if you would really ever have to worry about it unless you were fighting in the ring anyway.
    Jackie Lee

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chiang Po View Post
    I rather doubt seriously if you would really ever have to worry about it unless you were fighting in the ring anyway.
    why not worry about a double leg take down in the street, just about ever junior high school and high school and college in america have a wrestling team. so that is a pretty good chance you can run into a wrestler in the street.

Quote Originally Posted by wiz cool c View Post
    why not worry about a double leg take down in the street, just about ever junior high school and high school and college in america have a wrestling team. so that is a pretty good chance you can run into a wrestler in the street.
    I wrestled in jr high, but I wouldn't worry about my wrestling skills

If you got two to bulls!

Two Bulls of equal size, Mass and weight!

One bull charges bull Two...

Bull Two stands their in low crotch preparing for impact.

Bull One is running at 35 to 45 mph twoards bull two which is just standing there waiting for the Hit!

When two bulls collide i promise you the bull standing there waiting for impact is going down!

There is No immovable stance!
    The Flow is relentless like a raging ocean with crashing waves devasting anything in its path.

"Kick Like Thunder, Strike Like Lighting, Fist Hard as Stones."

"Wing Chun flows around overwhelming force and finds openings with its constant flow of forward energy."

"Always Attack, Be Aggressive always Attack first, Be Relentless. Continue with out ceasing. Flow Like Water, Move like the wind, Attack Like Fire. Consume and overwhelm your Adversary until he is No More"

I dunno about that. I change trains to get to work in the morning, one day the second train ran a little bit early.

This guy comes barrelling out of the lift running as fast as he can for the train. I'm about six feet away. I don't have time to do anything but hunch the shoulders, one hand up protecting my jaw, and bend my knees.

Dude hits me full bore side on. I don't get moved or rocked. ****boy just keeps running, I yell after him to be more careful. No response or apology. I just keep walking over to the platform and catch the same train as him. Got a seat and everything.

If he'd have level changed and got under my COG might have been a different story. But just running full bore into someone ain't necessarily going to do ****.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

so that is a pretty good chance you can run into a wrestler in the street.
    In Australia you'll find plenty of rugby players who'll try the same thing, less technical but not necessarily any less potentially dangerous.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

Yeh way back before I trained against it I had a rugby hit do that. He had such a big ass neck I tried to Jum sao his neck as he came in he was ****ed but I still ended on my ass. Lucky the rest of the team had already left

Quote Originally Posted by Lindley View Post
    - . . . . Ving Tsun is not some stiff martial art that relies only on a limited set of strikes. It can be deployed to whatever situation needed, which includes using a lot of mobility. Even though I used a jab, the jab is just a technique.
    I agree wholeheartedly. My idea is to use whatever is necessary and efficient to survive an encounter. Even if some people will say what you used isn't WC. If it's efficient and effective is what matters.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    Traditional Wing Chun Academy NYC/L.A.
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

The state that resembles a middle finger.
    What is this with constant concern with Wing Chun not having anti take down? Ever watch UFC or the Octogon? These guys are supposed to be some of the best and yet they all get taken down. No one is immune to being taken down. Wing Chun is no different, and it is not lacking simply because it isn't any different. Someone said to train against it. And that is the bottom line. Train against takedown if you are afraid of it.
    one of the smarter things i've seen you state.

I don't train WC so I can't comment on the tactics used from such but in reality there are only so many things you can do to negate the take down.

People talk about striking to stop the takedown. Which is a likeable solution but dependent upon the distance the person is at when coming in. setting one's self to strike takes time. if there is any distance between the 2 opponents then you have to deal with momentum. Even if you land a strong shot on them coming in momentum is already in play and carries through. You have to deal with that as well.

no easy answer to it. The sprawl is probably the best solution dependent upon the situation.
    My idea is to use whatever is necessary and efficient to survive an encounter. Even if some people will say what you used isn't WC. If it's efficient and effective is what matters.
    wise words.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i had an old taichi lady talk smack behind my back. i mean comon man, come on. if it was 200 years ago,, mebbe i wouldve smacked her and took all her monehs.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i am manly and strong. do not insult me cracker.

Quote Originally Posted by anerlich View Post
    In Australia you'll find plenty of rugby players who'll try the same thing, less technical but not necessarily any less potentially dangerous.
    And if you're in Melbourne you might find Australian Football League (AFL) players , who according to a friend of mine are much better than rugby players

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshiyahu View Post
    When two bulls collide i promise you the bull standing there waiting for impact is going down!
    That sounds like a lot of bull to me