Page 16 of 20 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Joe Rogan

TCMA come in all sizes and shapes and have almost everything that one can be looking for.
    EXCEPT ground grappling and submission on par with BJJ.
    Anyone thinking differently is in their own little world and has NEVER experienced BJJ.
    It truly is that simple.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

personally ive never done bjj, and i probably never will. there are guys who do bjj that train at the judo dojo, and its evident when you are on the ground with them. so in a sense there is an element of bjj cross training when we do groundwork because sensei does encourage that. but for me personally i think with my goals, judo is a far better skillset to develop. im not going to submission tourney, or fighting mma. i dont need as in depth of ground work as bjj offers and i feel judo offers a better set for keeping myself from ending up on the ground than does bjj.

i first looked into shuai jiao because i was interested and found there is no one here teaching that. it wasnt even second guessed whether or not i should venture outside of cma to get the skills i wanted. it was common sense for me to gravitate to judo.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    TCMA come in all sizes and shapes and have almost everything that one can be looking for.
    Anyone thinking differently is in their own little world and has NEVER experienced BJJ.
    It truly is that simple.
    Obviously you have never trained in real Ethiopian Sumo and it rich methodologies!
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". -Cus D'Amato

Quote Originally Posted by Iron_Eagle_76 View Post
    Obviously you have never trained in real Ethiopian Sumo and it rich methodologies!
    Nor have I trained in Mozambican Kenpo or in Estonian Aikido.
    I need to get out more.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Nor have I trained in Mozambican Kenpo or in Estonian Aikido.
    I need to get out more.
    Vati-Catch-as-Catch-Can...?

It is better to have less thunder in the mouth and more lightning in the hand. - Apache Proverb

The state that resembles a middle finger.
    I think it's a good thing to look outside of your own art. That's the only way to discover first-hand your own strengths and weaknesses. It doesn't make you any less of a CMAist if your explorations take you outside of CMA, either.
    my thoughts as well.

and I know there is value in all MA's.
    yes indeed.

i feel judo offers a better set for keeping myself from ending up on the ground than does bjj.
    that is grappling. clinch work intails it. Judo does have a better understanding than most arts in the control of the clinch. on the other hand you never know when you will end on the ground. you need some experience in knowing how to get back to your feet in those cases. BJJ/wrestling/judo/SJ handles this. If your game is stand up then you need to know how to regain that area if it's lost. Base grappling arts teach control, and what better way to gain your feet than by having control.

It truly is that simple.
    I'm not a BJJ nut rider but I do love the ground game. I like to stand and trade with the best of whom ever is placed in front of me. But knowledge is knowledge and you can dispute that ground arts dominate in that area. some people like to live in flat worlds were they think the center revolves around them. So be it. Rude awakenings happen all the time.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i had an old taichi lady talk smack behind my back. i mean comon man, come on. if it was 200 years ago,, mebbe i wouldve smacked her and took all her monehs.
    i am manly and strong. do not insult me cracker.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    i first looked into shuai jiao because i was interested and found there is no one here teaching that. it wasnt even second guessed whether or not i should venture outside of cma to get the skills i wanted. it was common sense for me to gravitate to judo.
    It is really a shame that Shuai Jiao is not better represented in the west. What is here for the most part is Bao Ding via Taiwan. Nothing against that mind you but the grip fighting and techniques in Beijing/Tianjin style are devastating.

The carryover from taolu oriented gong fu is substantial, the stances, footwork, qin na etc are nearly identical the only difference being that you immediately reconcile them with sparring against a resisting opponent, which as we all know is a practice that is woefully underdeveloped in western gong fu practice.

The inveterate black and white thinkers on both sides always conveniently disregard Shuai Jiao whenever mired in this tired ass argument. Shuai Jiao IS sport gong fu.

[QUOTE=wenshu;1138586]It is really a shame that Shuai Jiao is not better represented in the west. What is here for the most part is Bao Ding via Taiwan. Nothing against that mind you but the grip fighting and techniques in Beijing/Tianjin style are devastating.

The carryover from taolu oriented gong fu is substantial, the stances, footwork, qin na etc are nearly identical the only difference being that you immediately reconcile them with sparring against a resisting opponent, which as we all know is a practice that is woefully underdeveloped in western gong fu practice.

The inveterate black and white thinkers on both sides always conveniently disregard Shuai Jiao whenever mired in this tired ass argument. Shuai Jiao IS sport gong fu.[/QUOTE]

"The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". -Cus D'Amato

It is better to have less thunder in the mouth and more lightning in the hand. - Apache Proverb

The state that resembles a middle finger.
    i had an old taichi lady talk smack behind my back. i mean comon man, come on. if it was 200 years ago,, mebbe i wouldve smacked her and took all her monehs.
    i am manly and strong. do not insult me cracker.

For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

I personally wouldn't know as I have not experienced all of the TCMAs on the planet. I would hazard a guess that if they don't exist in the TCMAs, then that is because by combining different techniques and different ranges, the TCMA-ists of the past came up with potent weapons against ground fighters, however, because of the fact that in the majority of the cases nowadays the TCMAs are taught in an imcomplete manner, then we never see those aspects. I mean for god's sake, most people studying TCMAs nowadays can't even use it for decent stand up fighting...LOL!

It truly is that simple.
    The same is true with people in their little MMA worlds who have never truly experienced TCMAs, or TMAs in general.

I guess, blanket statements are wrong, coming from either side of the argument. That is why I take issue with people who say "there is not ground fighting in the TCMAs!". The fact is there are, wether they are as good or not as BJJ is another question for discussion, but not the fact that there are kung fu styles that deal with the ground scenario.

joe rogan vs Shawn Obasi

so if mr. joe rogan says wing chun and kung fu is useless,then he should be willing to put his money where his mouth is,and step up and fight this guy Shawn Obasi . a wing chun guy who is winning many fight in mma. as far as i know mr rogan has nver be in the ring himself.
    Last edited by wiz cool c; 10-21-2011 at 05:55 PM.

I'd pay to see that **** in PPV!!

celebrity mma!!