Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Joe Rogan

Quote Originally Posted by mawali View Post
    I am amused that although he, himself would fare terribly in such an encounter, he does acknowledge the 'legend in their own mind" attitude of many on all sides!
    Rogan has a Brown Belt in BJJ. Id put my money on Rogan if he went up against either of those two idiots.
    When given the choice between big business and big government, choose big business. Big business never threw millions of people into gas chambers, but big government did.

"It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men" -Samuel Adams

joe rogan is right

Shawn Obasi, Joe Rogan, & Wing Chun

I've spoken to Shawn Obasi on the phone twice within the last 6 weeks or so - and he's an interesting character.

Check this out:

http://inasectv.com/view_episode.php?id=243

And on another forum, Joe Rogan had this to say:

"Shawn can fight, no doubt. For some reason he thought I was talking about him when I was doing Michael Schiavello's interview, but like I explained to him, I was talking about dudes that practice nonsense in the park, not guys that actually fight MMA. Shawn has real good power in his hands and actually knows how to fight and competes...."

Saying that every kung fu practitioner, except 1, sucks, doesn't make me happy.

Shawn is a bit over the top, but he's worth keeping an eye on.

Joe Rogan talks a lot of internet ****. But you know what? He's straight forward and if you've ever seen his comedy stuff he's pretty funny IMO.

I think his point was that practicing in a park doing patty cake play fighting does no one any good outside of being a social event.

I remember the gung fu group at the park when I was in the military. People would drive by making fun of them because they'd all be standing around smoking cigarettes in between form sets. None of them competed in anything, none of them pressure tested themselves, and none of them had any idea they couldn't fight their way out of a wet paper bag.

Now Shaun on the other hand is a bit out there...based on what I saw on the M-1 tryouts. But ya know what? He along with guy's like Alan Orr's crew are doing what other people only theorize about, and that's fighting.
    "I don't know if anyone is known with the art of "sitting on your couch" here, but in my eyes it is also to be a martial art.

It is the art of avoiding dangerous situations. It helps you to avoid a dangerous situation by not actually being there. So lets say there is a dangerous situation going on somewhere other than your couch. You are safely seated on your couch so you have in a nutshell "difused" the situation."

I'm no fan of Joe Rogan. He's a front-runner...if you get my meaning. And Alan's guys and Shawn are not the only wing chun guys who fight. But they are people the rest of the wing chun world should be keeping track of. I, for one, hope they all do well.
    Last edited by Ultimatewingchun; 06-02-2010 at 11:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vankuen View Post
    I think his point was that practicing in a park doing patty cake play fighting does no one any good outside of being a social event. .
    He was specifically talking about Maoshan and Black Taoist.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

is this the same shawn obasi?
    http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/mma....E770168F222301

I don't see anything on sherdog.. I have been waiting for him to do some real mma events.. isn't the underground fight league an "illegal" mma event?

I first heard about him from a friend who works out at a gym. The gym owner pretended to know martial arts, and created a fake record.. fought shawn in an illegal MMA event in ny...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVyrN...x=0&playnext=1

What I can't figure out is.. there are so many amateur events going on in NJ.. why isn't he doing them and building a real record? Nothing against him personally but he seems to be more talk than anything else. The only way to get respect is to fight in allot of normal MMA events.. and win.. its not rocket science. The fact is nobody in Wing Chun is doing that .. that I know of.. I would love to hear of something doing that..
    Last edited by monji112000; 06-03-2010 at 07:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    He was specifically talking about Maoshan and Black Taoist.
    Is Maoshan the guy who everyone talks about because he keeps filming himself getting his ass kicked?

Black taoist I don't remember.
    "I don't know if anyone is known with the art of "sitting on your couch" here, but in my eyes it is also to be a martial art.

It is the art of avoiding dangerous situations. It helps you to avoid a dangerous situation by not actually being there. So lets say there is a dangerous situation going on somewhere other than your couch. You are safely seated on your couch so you have in a nutshell "difused" the situation."

Quote Originally Posted by monji112000 View Post
    is this the same shawn obasi?
    http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/mma....E770168F222301

I don't see anything on sherdog.. I have been waiting for him to do some real mma events.. isn't the underground fight league an "illegal" mma event?

I first heard about him from a friend who works out at a gym. The gym owner pretended to know martial arts, and created a fake record.. fought shawn in an illegal MMA event in ny...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVyrN...x=0&playnext=1

What I can't figure out is.. there are so many amateur events going on in NJ.. why isn't he doing them and building a real record? Nothing against him personally but he seems to be more talk than anything else. The only way to get respect is to fight in allot of normal MMA events.. and win.. its not rocket science. The fact is nobody in Wing Chun is doing that .. that I know of.. I would love to hear of something doing that..
    I have watch a lot of this MMA fighting and have yet to see anyone use anything other then the standard MMA stuff. Now and then a person might be billed as a black belt karate or such, but other than the occasional high kick they stay with MMA. So why is is so critical to see a Wing Chun fighter in the MMA ring? Why not one of the other forms or systems of kung fu? Why does Wing Chun have to be the one? All you guys talk like real experts on this thing, so why are you not out there fighting in an MMA ring, using your Wing Chun or whatever? Most of you have never had a real fight since elementery school, so why is is so important that you can fight in the first place? And BTW, on the list of forums, just below Wing Chun, there is the MMA forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chiang Po View Post
    I have watch a lot of this MMA fighting and have yet to see anyone use anything other then the standard MMA stuff. Now and then a person might be billed as a black belt karate or such, but other than the occasional high kick they stay with MMA. So why is is so critical to see a Wing Chun fighter in the MMA ring? Why not one of the other forms or systems of kung fu? Why does Wing Chun have to be the one? All you guys talk like real experts on this thing, so why are you not out there fighting in an MMA ring, using your Wing Chun or whatever? Most of you have never had a real fight since elementery school, so why is is so important that you can fight in the first place? And BTW, on the list of forums, just below Wing Chun, there is the MMA forum.
    I have not trained for and do not have any desire to fight in a MMA event. further I have not trained in Wing Chun in some time because of my current living/working location is too far to commute. That being said Obasi seems to clearly want to fight "MMA" fighters and "muy thai" fighters. He has said many times he wants to prove to the world that Wing Chun is a possible fighting style in the ring/cage. I personally like seeing any fighting style that isn't just the normal what everyone else is doing fighting style. A good example in my not so humble opinion is What David Ross (NY sanda) has done with his fighters and his teachers styles combined with what he has learned from other sources.

I made no attempt to praise or criticize Obasi's wing chun and I will not. Its not what I learned, and I don't like his style.. but what good is my opinion other than to myself.

My point was he seems to be one of two things 1) dumb (probably not) or 2) full of hot air (more likely)
    why? because if he really wanted fight there are so many real organizations and chances he can with little effort take advantage of. I can't blame any major promoter for not allowing him the chance to just walk into the ring and fight someone.. simple because he wants too.. If your coming with a style people already thing is a joke, and you can't at min blend with what they think is "real" fighting, then you have to prove it in the before hand. Obasi has not proven anything as of today. He hasn't fought anyone with any real skill in the Cage/ring .

NJ has a few Amateur fighting leagues, that's were he needs to go. I guarantee he if kills a bunch of guys that seems to have some skill then he is more likely to get a bigger fight.

The days of being a odd ball TMA fighter and fighting in the UFC are gone. This isn't 1992 and it isn't UFC 2

BTW I responded to the post I didn't start it. It was posted here because he is a "wing chun fighter" and he claims to be willing to die a "wing chung fighter".
    Last edited by monji112000; 06-05-2010 at 04:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    joe rogan is right
    Without a doubt he would be correct concerning any kung fu that you have been involved with.

bawang is right