Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Joe Rogan

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    sorry what was his kung fu background again...
    sanda and vietnamese kung fu

keep with the conversation frost i thought your people invented this language

I am pork boy, the breakfast monkey.

left leg: mild bruising. right leg: charley horse

handsomerest member of KFM forum hands down

unfortunatly until someone with a kung fu background steps up and wins in the cage his view will be the majority view held by people
    There are guys who are winning with kung fu but they just don't talk about it much because of the stigma. Matt Sera (sp). That big country guy who won the ultimate fighter was a kung fu guy. All of Greg Nelson and Erik Paulson's guys probably get a bit of kung fu since Greg and Erik are both pretty good JKDers.

Do we really need to go through this again? Really what difference does it make? Its funny, I've never really had anybody in my MMA gym ever give a **** where something comes from. Kung fu by large sucks for contact, yeah we get it. People don't train. Its cliche to quote Bruce Lee but he had it right, a punch is a punch. A kick is a kick. I use things I learned in 7 star mantis in the clinch. Why? Cuz I can do it. It's not all that different that somethings I picked up now in Muay Thai. Do I care that most people don't recognize it as kung fu? No. I suck at wrestling. My shot is in my opinion atrocious. I am good at upper body control though. And I like to work over/unders with dirty boxing and hip throws. Do I care that people generically call it a judo throw? No. Cuz it is, its also something I first learned in mantis. Do I care that I've seen Randy Couture use it a dozen times and they call it greco/roman? No, cuz it is. Funny that, its wrestling, judo and kungfu all at the same time. What the hell difference does it make in the end?

Kung fu guys do it to themselves. Always using excuses about why their stuff don't work in a ring/cage and yet that same stuff is used by everyone else. Maybe people need to start looking at why Randy can ou, lou, tsai better than 90% of the mantis guys and figure out what they're doing wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by HumbleWCGuy View Post
    There are guys who are winning with kung fu but they just don't talk about it much because of the stigma. Matt Sera (sp). That big country guy who won the ultimate fighter was a kung fu guy. All of Greg Nelson and Erik Paulson's guys probably get a bit of kung fu since Greg and Erik are both pretty good JKDers.
    Or maybe they just consider themselves MMA guys and don't give a crap about where something comes from as long as it works...

Quote Originally Posted by SoCo KungFu View Post
    Do we really need to go through this again? Really what difference does it make? Its funny, I've never really had anybody in my MMA gym ever give a **** where something comes from.
    EXACTLY same with me.

I am pork boy, the breakfast monkey.

left leg: mild bruising. right leg: charley horse

handsomerest member of KFM forum hands down

UFC Joe Rogan says that Wing Chun Kung Fu is ineffective and a waste of time!

Has anyone seen this? I did not post this in the Wing Chun forum because it seems that Joe Rogan's comments were directed at all TCMA/TMAs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9L5v...h_response_rev

Sorry if this has been posted before.

Not seen this one before but his views on TMA are well known, and from his point of view can you blame him he is a product of his enviroment.

He was in the UFC from almost the start he has seen it evolve and from his point of view wheres TMA? who is repping it in his world (MMA) who is using trapping, open hand strikes standing locks etc

You might argue TMA doesnt want to fight in the cage which is fine, but he is looking at it from asports guy and competitive martial arts point of view

wing chun single handedly ruined kung fu in america

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Not seen this one before but his views on TMA are well known, and from his point of view can you blame him he is a product of his enviroment.
    Actually I don't blame him, because like most people here who criticize the TCMAs here in this forum, he has never had proper genuine training in kung fu.

He was in the UFC from almost the start he has seen it evolve and from his point of view wheres TMA? who is repping it in his world (MMA) who is using trapping, open hand strikes standing locks etc
    Again, I understand this and I know his view is based on the limited world of sports MA and his very limited experience of TMAs - not unlike most people in this forum who criticize the TCMAs.

By the way, a Chow Gar Mantis kung fu brother of mine has knocked out a guy in the street with an open hand (palm) strike. It is easy when you know how.

In the Wing Chun lineage that I practice, with a curriculum that takes 6 to 8 years to complete, as opposed to "I am a sifu after two years" schools, one starts with a lot of fist strikes and conditioning in the earlier parts of the training. As one advances more and more open hand (as well as claw) strikes are used.

Food for thought!

You might argue TMA doesnt want to fight in the cage which is fine, but he is looking at it from asports guy and competitive martial arts point of view
    Agreed. Sports tournaments are only one facet of the immense world of the martial arts.

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    wing chun single handedly ruined kung fu in america
    I would correct you (as usual...lol) and say that unscrupulous fake sifus are the ones who have ruined kung fu in america and beyond. Just have look at the kung fu cluelessness in this very forum. This actually reflects what has happened in the world at large.

UFC Joe Rogan says that Wing Chun Kung Fu is ineffective and a waste of time

Quote Originally Posted by Hardwork108 View Post
    Has anyone seen this? I did not post this in the Wing Chun forum because it seems that Joe Rogan's comments were directed at all TCMA/TMAs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9L5v...h_response_rev

Sorry if this has been posted before.

Well , america is a free country so Joe can say whatever he wants to say , he may be big in the UFC . But as far as saying that wing chun and TCMA is just a waste of time . If I was joe , I would go out and challenge all the TCMA masters and WC practitioners all around the world , but until I win the challenges against these TCMA masters or WC practitioners . I would ' nt say anything .

And I ' ve seen this video before , but it ' s okay we all make mistakes .

MMA - Is basically mix martial arts which fighters used their skills regardless of thai boxing , judo or jujutsu , karate or sambo . So it all depends too on each fighters skills and potential in challeging the skills of other fighters . Somebody going win and somebody going lose . But as far as WC or TCMA masters in the UFC I think it did happen one time , if I ' m not mistaken at one time there were 2-
    WC experts going against eachother and the best WC practioner won against the other WC expert . If I ' m wrong you people can correct me . But as times went by for the MMA did ' nt yet see WC people and TCMA people yet fight in the MMA against other fighters . But It still does ' nt mean that WC or TCMA are a waste of time .

The state that resembles a middle finger.
    Honestly who cares? This is another stupid argument fanning the mma vs. Tcma flames. I dont really like rogen all that much to consider his opinion worth while. Why should u? If wc finds it so offensive step up and go fight in the cage and prove everyone wrong.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i had an old taichi lady talk smack behind my back. i mean comon man, come on. if it was 200 years ago,, mebbe i wouldve smacked her and took all her monehs.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i am manly and strong. do not insult me cracker.

I'm with DragonzBane. I don't really care anymore.

That said, I like Joe Rogan. I don't like his standup stuff, but I like that he's not afraid to back up the things he says.
    It is better to have less thunder in the mouth and more lightning in the hand. - Apache Proverb

While Joe is a **** and is just creating controversy as he loves to do, he is also quite right.
    See, BJJ guys have the same view: Show me.
    Most TCMA have this view: Tell me.
    To BJJ guys anecdotal stuff means almost nothing and they couldn't care less what someone MIGHT have done on the street or 50 years ago, they care about what YOU can do RIGHT NOW.
    TCMA love to tale about what someone else did here and there and what they DID here and there, but you rarely see them DOING it NOW.
    One of the reasons I have never had problems with the MMA crowd or BJJ guys is because I don't talk about what someone else did ( though kyokushin is respected in MMA of course) and I am more than willing to show them.
    I venture that ANY TCMA guy that does the same will have the respect of the MMA and BJJ crowd.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

SR - If you wanna get pizzed, check out the latest issue of chill magazine from the beerstore with Pacman on the cover.

Gurg. Who ever wrote the top athlete comparisons was a ******* armchair pimple I am certain.
    Kung Fu is good for you.