Page 6 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Joe Rogan

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    Not seen this one before but his views on TMA are well known, and from his point of view can you blame him he is a product of his enviroment.

He was in the UFC from almost the start he has seen it evolve and from his point of view wheres TMA? who is repping it in his world (MMA) who is using trapping, open hand strikes standing locks etc

You might argue TMA doesnt want to fight in the cage which is fine, but he is looking at it from asports guy and competitive martial arts point of view
    um I think trapping implies heavy usage of eye strikes and illegal moves like 12 to 6 elbows like jon jones used when he got disqualified, I don't know pulling a guys arm-sleeve to his blind side implies the guy can't see right?. makes sence to me. I mean when a guy catches **** in his eye he stops puts his hands to his face and waits for the judge to stop and give him a hug you can find video all over the net showing this...so when he stops and covers his eyes wouldn't it be a smart tactic to tie his arms up and hit a soft spot like his other eye lol

yall know joe rogan is a drug addict on steroids right check out his view on aliens and DMT

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Byy0oSL53CU

so why can't you trap the guy in the first ten seconds lol? or throw a flying side kick or even at that point climb on top of the ropes and hit him Macho

i dont really have much of an opinion on joe rogan but i think he does a good job on announcing fights.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Here's a WC trap:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-TT-6JeSZE
    I have another angle that I need to make slo mo to see it better. What Jerry did well though was the short range knockout punch that we trained so hard.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    Traditional Wing Chun Academy NYC/L.A.
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Quote Originally Posted by diego View Post
    um I think trapping implies heavy usage of eye strikes and illegal moves like 12 to 6 elbows like jon jones used when he got disqualified, I don't know pulling a guys arm-sleeve to his blind side implies the guy can't see right?. makes sence to me. I mean when a guy catches **** in his eye he stops puts his hands to his face and waits for the judge to stop and give him a hug you can find video all over the net showing this...so when he stops and covers his eyes wouldn't it be a smart tactic to tie his arms up and hit a soft spot like his other eye lol

yall know joe rogan is a drug addict on steroids right check out his view on aliens and DMT
    and people wonder why Rogan has this opinion of TCMA....

Quote Originally Posted by Iron_Eagle_76 View Post
    Actually, Rogan began martial arts in Taekwondo and competed in it for several years.
    Yes, he did refer to his experience in the lethal art of Tae Kwon Do in that interview. I guess that qualifies him to badmouth all the TCMAs and other TMAs under the sun.

You know, he sounds like some of the forum members here who have not had a day's training in an authentic kung fu school, even if they have trained years in some Mc Kung fu school, who then go on to make clueless comments about all TCMA methodologies on the planet.

It seems he does not have any experience in TCMA
    It sure seems that way.....LOL!

but he did come from a TMA background.
    The world of the kung fu cluelessness - including the segment that posts here - is full of people with TMA "backgrounds".....

So once again, perhaps you should do a little research into things before you go spouting off about how know one in the world knows anything except you.
    Perhaps you should be the one "researching" by reading my original post, and seeing that this thread is NOT about me, but a phenomenon of people making stupid comments about the TCMAs, without having trained in them authentically a day in their lives.

For the record, I think Joe Rogan is a complete douchenozzle, but facts are facts.
    Yes, and the fact is that he made derogatory comments about a system(s) that he has no clue about, just like some of his fellow MMA-ists who post on internet forums.

he competed in his TMA to a high level
    You mean, he has competed in Tae Kwon Do to a high level? LOL!

Come on, you just like him because he pumps iron...

and i suspect has seen plenty of TCMA....
    I suspect that he hasn't!

Furthermore, I suspect that the only TCMA he has seen has been in his local Mcdojo, like most of the other MMA-ists who badmouth the TCMAs.

and if those that have the real TCMA cant man up and compete in sports events then he and the rest of us will just have to live in ignorance
    Limiting the benchmark for combat worthiness of martial arts systems that have been around for thousands of years to their performance in modern sports tournaments does show some ignorance.

Just saying that it is not the only way....

I find it strange that real TCMA masters like WSL in wing chun and Ip Sui in chow gar made their names in gong sau matches yet their students by and large dont seem able to do the same in the modern sport world, if masters like those saw benefits in competing against other skilled opponents in limited rules competition whats stopping their students doing the same?
    I have come across quite a few kung fu people who have fought for real ( no rules and sometimes, very few rules by agreement) and many times at that, but who would not enter a ring if you paid them. They do not see a point in it. If they are challenged they will fight, that means what they have learned works for them - end of story!
    Last edited by Hardwork108; 10-14-2011 at 05:45 AM.

The state that resembles a middle finger.
    Yes, he did refer to his experience in the lethal art of Tae Kwon Do in that interview.
    No need to bash tkd. Actually of all systems tkd probably has the best kicks ive seen. Tkd lacks in many areas for sure but thats a typical thing in MA's just look at tcma and the lack of grappling and clinch it you want a fair comparison.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i had an old taichi lady talk smack behind my back. i mean comon man, come on. if it was 200 years ago,, mebbe i wouldve smacked her and took all her monehs.
    i am manly and strong. do not insult me cracker.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonzbane76 View Post
    No need to bash tkd. Actually of all systems tkd probably has the best kicks ive seen. Tkd lacks in many areas for sure but thats a typical thing in MA's just look at tcma and the lack of grappling and clinch it you want a fair comparison.
    You just proved my point. TCMA has plenty of grappling!

The state that resembles a middle finger.
    Haha funny.

Not in the interpretation of grappling it doesnt delve into the many layers of it. Having a bland overview does not constitute a well versed understanding of clinch or grappling. But go ahead and keep trying to convince yourself otherwise.
    i had an old taichi lady talk smack behind my back. i mean comon man, come on. if it was 200 years ago,, mebbe i wouldve smacked her and took all her monehs.
    i am manly and strong. do not insult me cracker.

Slightly OT

I just needed a place to post this:
    Wing-ing it
    Updated: 2011-10-14 11:33
    By Alexis Hooi (China Daily European Weekly)

Keith King says Chinese martial arts help him stay disciplined in his work and life. Provided to China Daily

Briton takes the Chinese martial art of wing chun and applies it to his way of life

Briton Keith King has martial arts coursing through his veins. "I grew up with martial arts around me. My father practiced and taught jujutsu while my mother did judo. They would spar or train with each other," says King, who is from Portsmouth, England.

Fueled by his passion for martial arts, King decided to leave home for China, the birthplace of kungfu. That was 10 years ago when he was 21.

He ended up in Guangdong, the southern Chinese province famous for churning out kungfu legends like Ip Man, Huang Feihong and Bruce Lee, who ultimately showed the world the prowess of Chinese martial arts.

In Guangzhou, Guangdong's capital, King was introduced to Wing Chun, a martial art indigenous to the area and known for specializing in close range combat.

"I bumped into a lot of bad quality martial arts instructors in my first year in China," King says.

"They knew only a bit and wanted to get money out of foreigners." Then he met his first Wing Chun teacher in Guangzhou's Haizhu district and never looked back.

"Three months into the training I was put into my first competition. I had to face fighters from a police team, but I won. Since learning Wing Chun I've never felt the need to learn any other art form," King says.

He later set up a martial arts studio with fellow Wing Chun practitioners and found himself facing up to 15 students a time. Everyone there was Chinese and about 70 percent of the students were women, King says.

"Wing Chun is named after a legendary woman fighter who started it and often seen as a more feminine kind of thing. But it is actually a very clever way of fighting and self-defense," he says.

"It doesn't rely on strength, which is very good because by Western standards I'm not a big guy. It relies on body mechanics like getting the right angles to generate more strength. It teaches you to know how the person is going to attack so that you know how to defend before they are going to attack. It also teaches you to lead the person how to attack so then you know what is going on. In Wing Chun I can stand in a certain way or move in a certain way that will limit your options.

"Wing Chun is a self-defense art, for rich Chinese people back in the days when they didn't have to work so much and when they would visit restaurants or the equivalent of bars."

Wing Chun skills have stood King in good stead on at least two occasions, he says. One was during a genuine bar brawl.

"It was then that I actually found out how good Wing Chun was. There was a foreign guy who started to beat a Chinese girl. I already had a few beers then and thought I'd play the hero," King says.

"So he attacked me and I punched him the same way I trained. I didn't think about it and I saw him fly back and I then I thought 'wow'. He comes back and this is why Wing Chun's good - he started swinging but we were in a bar. He was hitting everyone around except me."

In a separate occasion in Shenzhen, King says he found himself fending off a group of more than 10 attackers together with a friend.

"This was in a rough part of town and the people were drunk and didn't like foreigners. My friend was also doing alright against them because he's a boxer," he says.

"But it's not like you're there for 10 minutes beating down one guy. You hit someone a couple of times and he's unconscious. You fight the second one and the third one by the time you get to the fourth one the first few have come back up and attacking you again. They later came back with swords and that's when I made a run for it.

"It can seem fun to talk about it now, like how you see it in the movies, but it was life threatening then. I count myself very lucky to have gotten out of that."

The Brit says it is heartening to know interest in Wing Chun is seeing a revival from the success of recent kungfu movies like Ip Man and its sequel. Ip Man is popularly known as a teacher of Bruce Lee.

"Bruce Lee's foundation was certainly Wing Chun. The 'Jeet' in his Jeet Kune Do style is actually a concept from Wing Chun that means 'to intercept'," King says.

King, who works full time as a manager for a major English language school in Guangzhou, estimates there are less than 10 major proponents of Wing Chun teaching the style to about 10 long-term students each in Guangzhou. He considers himself a mid-level practitioner and traces his techniques to the same ones taught to Ip Man.

King had to wind down his studio recently because of job commitments, but he still practices Wing Chun regularly with friends and trains with his wooden dummy at home every day. He also takes on private students occasionally.

The martial art helps him stay disciplined in his work and life, King says. He now avoids alcohol.

"You learn to tolerate a lot of things and push yourself. It keeps me generally fit. I think for a 31-year-old I look better than most of my colleagues at 30. Most of them are going bald and growing fat."

King also believes he learned how to speak fluent Mandarin and Cantonese from practicing Wing Chun.

"The best way to learn any language is to get into that environment. And martial arts gave me that environment," he says.
    I'd love to meet Joe someday, regardless of his opinion. In my position, I must tolerate lots of opinions. Case and point - this forum...
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    I just needed a place to post this:

I'd love to meet Joe someday, regardless of his opinion. In my position, I must tolerate lots of opinions. Case and point - this forum...
    owned
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

the coolest thing about joe rogan? news radio

Quote Originally Posted by Hardwork108 View Post
    This from the guy who says the best way to defend a double leg is the lethal palm strike to the top of the head.
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". -Cus D'Amato

This is very easily resolved.
    Any TCMA willing to step up and show Joe that he is wrong?
    I am sure that if he had made that comment about MT or Judo or BJJ or Karate that there would be a number of people willing to enlighten him.
    Anyone?
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !