Thread: Observations on a sanda clip

Observations on a sanda clip

Share three specific technical observations on this sanda clip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FCDKabF7YQ

1) Liu Hailong's timing on his takedowns is enviable.

2) The kick at 1:43 is one of those that I'm always a bit dubious about using. I'd be curious to hear opinions of people who use it more(I've done it a lot, just not in fighting, to be honest). He does it again at 4:58, pretty sly with it.

3) I wish that the striking had been a bit more extensive, as soon as the hands were involved, Liu Hailong would generally clinch, so it limited some of that. Given his timing on his takedowns, understandable.
    Last edited by Taixuquan99; 10-27-2011 at 03:27 AM.

What Sanda clip?

Quote Originally Posted by omarthefish View Post
    What Sanda clip?
    LOL, the one I forgot to put in there, of course.

Fixed now.

1. It looks like knees/elbows were not allowed in this fight. Sometimes when Sanda meets Muay Thai, elbows and knees are allowed, that makes things more even.
    2. The Sanda fighter is nasty...tries to soccer kick downed opponent in the head, and later throws him over the ropes out of the ring.
    3. the Sanda fighter is wearing Shaolin colors.

P.S. Oh yeah, about the crescent kick: I've been caught by that kick a few times, and I've caught people with it a few times. Risky as any high kick, but it can be very hard to see coming if the set-up is right. I can't round-house effectively above waist height, so for me crescent kicks are pretty helpful to have.

The outside crescent kick used at the 1:42 mark I like to set up as a stepping kick after a fake with backfist or jab. If you are kicking with the right leg it will be in front, taking a southpaw stance. Lead with the right backfist or jab, step up with the back foot while at the same time throwing the kick high towards your opponent's head.

It is risky but if set up right can be a good technique. You can also set up a lead leg hook kick by following basically the same mechanics. I prefer the hook simply because when using the heel to strike with I feel it is more powerful than the knife edge of the foot.
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". -Cus D'Amato

Thumbs up

Freaking highlight film.... the whole fight.

Pick that guy up and throw him out of the ring...... I wonder how much time he spends on Sil Lum Tao?

A few other observations, the double leg uproot when he tosses the guy out of the ring is an awesome staple of Sanda when set up with good boxing. Basically getting the guy's hands up than dropping, uprooting, and throwing equals good stuff. The concept of these fakes are very effective and something that has been part of our Pai Lum circuluum that opens your opponent up.

Also, there were a few parts in the clinch where you could tell Liu Hai Long had trained in Shuai Jiao. The arm and wrist grabs and pulls, which are of course very limited when wearing boxing gloves, are on par with some of YKW's descriptions of fighting for dominance in Shuai Jiao matches via the wrist, arm, grip techniques.

Very good stuff.
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". -Cus D'Amato

Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    Share three specific technical observations on this sanda clip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FCDKabF7YQ

1) Liu Hailong's timing on his takedowns is enviable.

2) The kick at 1:43 is one of those that I'm always a bit dubious about using. I'd be curious to hear opinions of people who use it more(I've done it a lot, just not in fighting, to be honest). He does it again at 4:58, pretty sly with it.

3) I wish that the striking had been a bit more extensive, as soon as the hands were involved, Liu Hailong would generally clinch, so it limited some of that. Given his timing on his takedowns, understandable.
    I wonder how long the MT guy would have lasted if this was a street fight?

Quote Originally Posted by ShaolinDan View Post
    1. It looks like knees/elbows were not allowed in this fight. Sometimes when Sanda meets Muay Thai, elbows and knees are allowed, that makes things more even.2. The Sanda fighter is nasty...tries to soccer kick downed opponent in the head, and later throws him over the ropes out of the ring.
    3. the Sanda fighter is wearing Shaolin colors.
    This is true, however one thing to consider is that when you begin reining knees on someone, they can be timed and caught by an experienced fighter which can nullify the knee once the person underhooks the leg and throws his opponent.

Another point worth noting is that it is pretty obvious the MT guy is not on the same level as Liu Hai Long. That being said, both Sanda and Muay Thai are remarkable styles of fighting and it comes down to the individual and how they train their art.

Quote Originally Posted by Hardwork108 View Post
    I wonder how long the MT guy would have lasted if this was a street fight?
    My guess is not very long, considering the difference in skill level between the two.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron_Eagle_76 View Post
    My guess is not very long, considering the difference in skill level between the two.
    I would also say that the general throwing arsenal of the Sanda fighter would give him an advantage. It would just take one of those throws on a concrete sidewalk to finish most men off (without even a need for submission or a kick in the head).
    Last edited by Hardwork108; 10-27-2011 at 08:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hardwork108 View Post
    I would also say that the general throwing arsenal of the Sanda fighter would give him an advantage. It would just take one of those throws on a concrete sidewalk to finish most men off (without even a need for submission or a kick in the head).
    The clinch work involved in Shuai Jiao and wrestling practiced by Sanda fighters is one of the best self-defense techniques one can learn. Dumping someone hard like he did on a concrete sidewalk can definetly be a fight ender. The excellent thing about Sanda or San Shou training is the emphasis on striking and clinch/throwing practiced equally and complimentary of each other.

As a side not submissions are still good to know and can be used to disable your opponent, but I will agree that case in point with a hard throw to the concrete any kind of follow up technique would most likely not be needed.