Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Ip Man does BJJ

Donnie Yen is Not WC purist!

Donnie Yen core style is not wing chun is it?

Yen first learn Wushu from his mother. then went to learn Tae Kwon Do.

Yen later went on to discover and to seek knowledge on other martial arts style, he would later obtain belts from judo and Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, and went on to study the art of parkour, wrestling, Muay Thai, kickboxing and boxing under various trainers.

Later on he added WC to his already extensive arsenal....

A purist is more a less a stand fighter who knows WC is system of upfright fighting styles. WC in it self is not a ground fighting style. If you feel you need ground experience thats what Wrestling or judo is for!

ne way if your looking to prove that WC guys need to add BJJ to their art...Try going to your local boxing Gym or Muay Thai Gym or even Kyoshukin Dojo and video tape your skills of submitting one of their top fighters. An post it for us to see and you will make a believer out of WC community!
    The Flow is relentless like a raging ocean with crashing waves devasting anything in its path.

"Kick Like Thunder, Strike Like Lighting, Fist Hard as Stones."

"Wing Chun flows around overwhelming force and finds openings with its constant flow of forward energy."

"Always Attack, Be Aggressive always Attack first, Be Relentless. Continue with out ceasing. Flow Like Water, Move like the wind, Attack Like Fire. Consume and overwhelm your Adversary until he is No More"

Quote Originally Posted by Sardinkahnikov View Post
    Have you guys watched Killing Zone? Donnie yen's fight vs sammo hung wasn't pure kung fu, but i think its one of the best fighting scenes i've seen in a while. Anything to make the scenes entertaining, I say.
    SPL? (Saat Po Long). Great ending fight, yeah. Apparently the weapons fight against Wu Jing was completely improvised on the spot.

ne way if your looking to prove that WC guys need to add BJJ to their art...Try going to your local boxing Gym or Muay Thai Gym or even Kyoshukin Dojo and video tape your skills of submitting one of their top fighters. An post it for us to see and you will make a believer out of WC community!
    Why not go to a WC kwoon and video that? Why do you need these other stylists to fight for you? Because your WC guys can't fight (mine can BTW)?

90% of MMA fighters crosstrain MT and BJJ. You don't know what you're ranting about. We had a an MMA fight here of Tony Bonello (a BJJ/MMA fighter of questionable credentials) handily submitting John Wayne Parr, a top notch MT guy in anyone's book, a few years back.

My WC instructor is also a Kyokushin black belt and BJJ brown belt. Perhaps I should post a vid of him submitting himself

I'm not looking to prove anything, just get the usual suspects frothing at the mouth ... at which I appear to have had some success
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

Quote Originally Posted by anerlich View Post
    Why not go to a WC kwoon and video that? Why do you need these other stylists to fight for you? Because your WC guys can't fight (mine can BTW)?

90% of MMA fighters crosstrain MT and BJJ. You don't know what you're ranting about. We had a an MMA fight here of Tony Bonello (a BJJ/MMA fighter of questionable credentials) handily submitting John Wayne Parr, a top notch MT guy in anyone's book, a few years back.

My WC instructor is also a Kyokushin black belt and BJJ brown belt. Perhaps I should post a vid of him submitting himself

I'm not looking to prove anything, just get the usual suspects frothing at the mouth ... at which I appear to have had some success

When are you coming to Saint Louis. I would love to train with you. Show me some of your MMA skills. Ne way your more than welcome to make a believer if you can? I would love to see it. What I am saying is this! I never see local MMA fighters defeat local Kyokushin or Muay Thai guys...I just see other MMA guys defeating other mma guys. A WC guy who practices other arts gets defeated by a BJJ guy with some boxing background...Thats what i see...

I for one am not a purist. I love MMA...Its a fun sport...

But what i am saying is this out side of the sport of Tae Kwon Do, karate point fighting and MMA...true Purist dont really care how valuable or useful you try to deem MMA, BJJ or ground work. If a person dont like it they dont like it...A person has to have interest in an art for it to work!

If someone trains BJJ just because he thinks he needs it to be a fighter but has no love for the art...it will be usesless for him!
    The Flow is relentless like a raging ocean with crashing waves devasting anything in its path.

"Wing Chun flows around overwhelming force and finds openings with its constant flow of forward energy."

"Always Attack, Be Aggressive always Attack first, Be Relentless. Continue with out ceasing. Flow Like Water, Move like the wind, Attack Like Fire. Consume and overwhelm your Adversary until he is No More"

When are you coming to Saint Louis.
    Never, most likely. The only people I know from there are you and Terence, neither of whom I GAF about. If I want a challenge, I train regularly with a couple of professional MMA fighters. Somehow I doubt you would present the same level of intensity.

I live in Sydney AUS. Why on Earth would I travel to a small city in the US to meet some random forum poster and try to change his uninformed opinions or accept some implicit challenge?

I would love to train with you. Show me some of your MMA skills. Ne way your more than welcome to make a believer if you can? I would love to see it.
    I'm not looking for converts or external validation, or to convince anybody. I can't see training with you would be a learning experience for me on any level. There is ample opportunity for you closer to home. Go to Vegas or SoCal, plenty of top flight MMA gyms closer to you than me. Go show them how deluded they are.

What I am saying is this! I never see local MMA fighters defeat local Kyokushin or Muay Thai guys...I just see other MMA guys defeating other mma guys. A WC guy who practices other arts gets defeated by a BJJ guy with some boxing background...Thats what i see...
    Doesn't really sound like you've looked. Not with any objectivity, anyway.

I for one am not a purist. I love MMA...Its a fun sport...
    Even though " I never see local MMA fighters defeat local Kyokushin or Muay Thai guys...I just see other MMA guys defeating other mma guys. A WC guy who practices other arts gets defeated by a BJJ guy with some boxing background...Thats what i see..."

If someone trains BJJ just because he thinks he needs it to be a fighter but has no love for the art...it will be usesless for him!
    You have to "love" BJJ to get a purple belt, let alone brown or black. "Love" isn't a word I'd use concerning activities, but I do find BJJ captivating and fascinating ... and so apparently does BJJ purple belt Donnie Yen.

You remain a hater ... you'll only ever be a hater.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti

Blog Entries
    One thing that I don't understand is, "Why there are so much resistence toward cross training in the WC community?"

Can any of our WC brothers share some light here? Is it because:

- you?
    - your teacher? or
    - your WC system?
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 10-16-2011 at 04:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    One thing that I don't understand is, "Why there are so much resistence toward cross training in the WC community?"

- you?
    - your teacher? or
    - your WC system?
    A "martial artist" should explore as many arts as possible even if he/she specializes in one art. No one art has all the answers.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    Traditional Wing Chun Academy NYC/L.A.
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Sifu Phillip Redmond
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Here's an African-Brazilian MA used in MMA:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...v=bwQWQ4w4Kxo#!
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Redmond View Post
    Here's an African-Brazilian MA used in MMA:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...v=bwQWQ4w4Kxo#!
    Nice.... unpredictability, like surprise is hard to deal with

i stated i think MMA is a great sport...An those who train it. Have the potential to be great competition fighters.

I appluade them that do MMA...Because as a WC guy there is alot crap WC out there...There are alot schools who never spar with their wing chun, tai chi, preying mantis, Hung Gar and Choy Li Fut today. There are even alot of WC schools who dont even do chi sau. Just practice drills, forms and some conditioning exercises...So I appluade the MMA community for doing what other WC teachers should do...MMA Is like the Jehovah Witness of the martial arts world. Xtians are suppose to preach to every creature that moves. So the JW go from door to door spreading their form of Xtianity. They and the Mormons are the only ones who follow the apostles charge to go convert the nations. So is MMA akin to the jehovah witnesses in that respect. They are one of few save boxing and Muay Thai who actually spar with their techniques. Not many Gung Fu Systems spar outside of doing some boxing techniques. Not many Karate schools spar out side of point fighting and only landing kicks to the head with punches only to the body!

Quote Originally Posted by anerlich View Post

You remain a hater ... you'll only ever be a hater.
    Last edited by Yoshiyahu; 10-17-2011 at 03:39 PM.

A "martial artist" should explore as many arts as possible even if he/she specializes in one art. No one art has all the answers.
    Word.

Nice clip too, Phil. a number of the top BJJ guys, like Cobrinha, do Capoeira. My BJJ coach has some experience in it as well.

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post

- you?
    - your teacher? or
    - your WC system?
    I think its simple...Many WC people resent the MMA because in essence Most ground fighters are saying you dont know how to fight unless you know how to roll. An WC guys are saying you dont know how to fight unless you can fight standing up...

People who train WC do so for a few different reasons. Either they love the WC art or they love the chinese culture and chinese martial arts. Asking someone who loves Strickly Chinese Gung Fu to learn a japanese, korean, Brazillian or European art is a slap in the face to them. Telling a person his art is incomplete, incompetant, and with out a ground game who studies Gung Fu simply because he likes chinese boxing is an insult to him or her. In fact I can tell you from personal experience. I trained Judo and Akido when i was younger. I enjoyed kick boxing more because it was closer to Gung Fu than the other two. I really didnt care or have an appreaciation for either Judo or Akido because i felt they were useless to a kid in junior high who wanted to kick and punch. So training those arts where a waste an time and money for me. Needless to say i didnt stay in it very long. I wanted to learn Kung Fu since i was five. An As a highschooler when I finally found out about it i was over joyed.

The same thing are for die hard WC guys. Its not that they hate MMA out right...They just find it offensive to hear someone tell them they first love is not good enough.

If you like ground fighting and wrestling that you will cross train WC with a ground fighting style. If you like stand up fighting you may cross train WC with Karate or boxing or even muay thai or tae kwon do!

It depends on the indiviual....

If someone hates MMA, or BJJ or ground fighting chances are they either practice martial arts because they love stand up fighting, they love WC or just really love all chinese gung fu and are not open to other cultures arts!
    Last edited by Yoshiyahu; 10-17-2011 at 04:31 PM.

flash point was a good movie. if you watch the movie with donnie yen commentary, he even points out where the flaws in his grappling choreography are from the knowledge he gained since he filmed that.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoshiyahu View Post
    Asking someone who loves Strickly Chinese Gung Fu to learn a japanese, korean, Brazillian or European art is a slap in the face to them.
    I know exactly what you are talking about. When my

- TKD friend showed me his 360 degree spin hook kick, I showed him a 360 degree backward floor sweep. I then told him that the 360 degree spin hook kick is hidden in that 360 degree backward floor sweep.
    - MT friend showed me his flying knee, I showed him a double jumping kick. I then told him that the flying knee is hidden in that double jumping kick.
    - BJJ friend showed me his side mount, I showed him a head lock sacrisfice throw. I then told him that the side mount is hidden in that sacrisfice throw.

There is a way to protect the honor of the TCMA. I will call this, "What's Mine is Mine, and What's Yours Is Also Mine." The Chinese had "69 mount" long before the birth of the BJJ.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 10-17-2011 at 11:54 PM.