Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ip Man does BJJ

Asking someone who loves Strickly Chinese Gung Fu to learn a japanese, korean, Brazillian or European art is a slap in the face to them.
    it's

STRICTLY

Demanding would be offensive. But asking them to consider it is a slap in the face? They'd have to be psychotic.

If someone hates MMA, or BJJ or ground fighting chances are they either practice martial arts because they love stand up fighting, they love WC or just really love all chinese gung fu and are not open to other cultures arts!
    Or the third and most likely possibility, they have mental problems. There's a difference between saying "That stuff isn't really for me", which I can respect, as opposed to "I hate anyone who doesn't like what I like!" which deserves only ridicule.

Why the hate? What happened to coexistence? Why does it have to be one or the other and not both?
    Last edited by anerlich; 10-17-2011 at 08:28 PM.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

The Chinese had "69 mount" long before the birth of the BJJ.
    Absolutely. I saw an ancient Chinese text depicting the lapeloplata from inverted DLR guard as performed by Cobrinha at the Mundials, except they called it the "knotted cloth noodle".

Seriously, the Brazilians don't claim to have invented everything, and give credit to their Japanese roots.

However, the Chinese didn't invent wrestling either. It arguably predates civilisation.
    Last edited by anerlich; 10-17-2011 at 09:05 PM.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    Why there are so much resistence toward cross training
    For me it's because of the un-naturalness of the Ving Tsun punch and plus there is enough work to do within the system. Getting to a certain level is hard enough but to maintain takes consistent amounts of daily work. No time for other ideas.

GH

Of course TCMa has grappling on par with BJJ, that is why you see all those TCMA cleaning up in submission grappling tournaments and winning the Abu Dhabi.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Of course TCMa has grappling on par with BJJ, that is why you see all those TCMA cleaning up in submission grappling tournaments and winning the Abu Dhabi.
    And why you just never see any TCMA "cr@ppling" instructionals out on the interw3bz.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    flash point was a good movie. if you watch the movie with donnie yen commentary, he even points out where the flaws in his grappling choreography are from the knowledge he gained since he filmed that.
    I loved that movies ground worked it was pretty good...

I know exactly what you are talking about. When my

- TKD friend showed me his 360 degree spin hook kick, I showed him a 360 degree backward floor sweep. I then told him that the 360 degree spin hook kick is hidden in that 360 degree backward floor sweep.
    - MT friend showed me his flying knee, I showed him a double jumping kick. I then told him that the flying knee is hidden in that double jumping kick.
    - BJJ friend showed me his side mount, I showed him a head lock sacrisfice throw. I then told him that the side mount is hidden in that sacrisfice throw.

There is a way to protect the honor of the TCMA. I will call this, "What's Mine is Mine, and What's Yours Is Also Mine." The Chinese had "69 mount" long before the birth of the BJJ.
    Thanks for sharing...lol you made me laugh out loud!
    The Flow is relentless like a raging ocean with crashing waves devasting anything in its path.

"Kick Like Thunder, Strike Like Lighting, Fist Hard as Stones."

"Wing Chun flows around overwhelming force and finds openings with its constant flow of forward energy."

"Always Attack, Be Aggressive always Attack first, Be Relentless. Continue with out ceasing. Flow Like Water, Move like the wind, Attack Like Fire. Consume and overwhelm your Adversary until he is No More"

Quote Originally Posted by anerlich View Post
    it's

STRICTLY

Demanding would be offensive. But asking them to consider it is a slap in the face? They'd have to be psychotic.

Or the third and most likely possibility, they have mental problems. There's a difference between saying "That stuff isn't really for me", which I can respect, as opposed to "I hate anyone who doesn't like what I like!" which deserves only ridicule.

Why the hate? What happened to coexistence? Why does it have to be one or the other and not both?

Quote Originally Posted by Graham H View Post
    For me it's because of the un-naturalness of the Ving Tsun punch and plus there is enough work to do within the system. Getting to a certain level is hard enough but to maintain takes consistent amounts of daily work. No time for other ideas.

GH

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    they sure do...leave stricking to Stand up fighters like WC, Boxing, MT and Kyoshukin and leave ground work to the BJJ guys i say.

Throwing a purist WC guy in the octagon against MMA guy who does MT and BJJ is like throwing a golden glove boxer into the Tae Kwon Do Olympics!!!

Its not gonna end well for him because the game is different!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Wayfaring View Post
    And why you just never see any TCMA "cr@ppling" instructionals out on the interw3bz.
    Lol
    The Flow is relentless like a raging ocean with crashing waves devasting anything in its path.

"Wing Chun flows around overwhelming force and finds openings with its constant flow of forward energy."

"Always Attack, Be Aggressive always Attack first, Be Relentless. Continue with out ceasing. Flow Like Water, Move like the wind, Attack Like Fire. Consume and overwhelm your Adversary until he is No More"

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshiyahu View Post
    they sure do...leave stricking to Stand up fighters like WC, Boxing, MT and Kyoshukin and leave ground work to the BJJ guys i say. . . . .Lol
    You have to include Judoka in your statement. Especially this man in NJ: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yoshisada_Yonezuka. BJJ black belts highly respect him.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    Traditional Wing Chun Academy NYC/L.A.
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Blog Entries
    they sure do...leave stricking to Stand up fighters like WC, Boxing, MT and Kyoshukin and leave ground work to the BJJ guys i say.

Throwing a purist WC guy in the octagon against MMA guy who does MT and BJJ is like throwing a golden glove boxer into the Tae Kwon Do Olympics!!!
    Since the Chinese wrestling has rule as, "Whoever touches the ground first will lose that round." The definition of "touch the ground" is any 2 points besides your feet. Since all wrestlers like to shoot low, it almost takes no effort to foce them to have 2 points of their body to touch the ground when they shoot in. This make the wrestlers have no chance to win on the Chinese wrestling mat. On the other hand, The Chinese wrestlers also have no chance to win on the western wrestling mat since the ground game is lacking.

It makes no sense that I can beat you in my ruleset, but you can beat me in your ruleset. When you fight someone to the death, there will be no rules. We just can't open our window and only allow butterfly to fly in. We should also allow flies and mosquitos to fly in too.

Its not gonna end well for him because the game is different!!!!
    Our goal should not be the "game" but "staying alive".
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 10-18-2011 at 06:15 PM.

fantasy bull sh!t

FIGHT TO DEATH

Who do you think would win in a fight to the death with broken glass, knives, chains and baseball bats...

Royce Gracie or Mike Tyson?

Anything goes?

Since the Chinese wrestling has rule as, "Whoever touches the ground first will lose that round." The definition of "touch the ground" is any 2 points besides your feet. Since all wrestlers like to shoot low, it almost takes no effort to foce them to have 2 points of their body to touch the ground when they shoot in. This make the wrestlers have no chance to win on the Chinese wrestling mat. On the other hand, The Chinese wrestlers also have no chance to win on the western wrestling mat since the ground game is lacking.

It makes no sense that I can beat you in my ruleset, but you can beat me in your ruleset. When you fight someone to the death, there will be no rules. We just can't open our window and only allow butterfly to fly in. We should also allow flies and mosquitos to fly in too.

Here's another Capoeira MMA fight:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0KfQ...&feature=share
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Redmond View Post
    That was a great KO and I am glad that the guy did not get hurt seriously. When I saw this I couldn't help but remember the WC, and indeed other Kung Fu principle of going forward and jamming.

If anything, this video - at least to me - demonstrates the importance of absorbing and using the principles of one's given TCMA style.

Hmmmm

Sifu Phillip Redmond
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Redmond View Post
    A gem of a clip. ...its all there Arm bar, RNC, Guillotine, full mount too....they just lacked the marketing skills of the Gracies.
    Last edited by k gledhill; 10-24-2011 at 09:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by k gledhill View Post
    A gem of a clip. ...its all there Arm bar, RNC, Guillotine, full mount too....they just lacked the marketing skills of the Gracies.
    But they did have the same base as the Gracies
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !