Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Did Bruce Lee reach the level of Grandmaster?

Quote Originally Posted by hskwarrior View Post
    there is NO bigger martial artist than bruce lee.
    Perspective:
    Bruce Lee made movies and rode around Hollywood in fast cars with fast women... special forces military personal anonymously risk, and often give, their life to protect the lives and lifestyles of total strangers. One swung nunchucks on set..... the other are experts in hand to hand to every weapon.... can kill with a paper clip. Actually kill and get killed in battle.

See what I mean?

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Pina View Post
    Perspective:
    Bruce Lee made movies and rode around Hollywood in fast cars with fast women... special forces military personal anonymously risk, and often give, their life to protect the lives and lifestyles of total strangers. One swung nunchucks on set..... the other are experts in hand to hand to every weapon.... can kill with a paper clip. Actually kill and get killed in battle.

See what I mean?
    Ask anyone aged 19 or older: "who's Bruce Lee" and they'll tell you. Maybe, they're even do a hooooooeeeeeeeeaaaahhhhhhhwwoooooooweeeeee for ya.

But ask anyone to name 3 members of a JTF2 squad or a Seal group?

It's silly to try and minimize the existence of an Elephant when it is standing on your foot.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Blog Entries
    Perspective:

See what I mean?
    No, bruce lee was more than a movie actor. He was obvisously skilled in the martial arts. has anyone ever seen him actually fight full contact? a few. But Bruce Lee was one of those kind of sifu's who'd send his students out to try and test others. allegedly, even the green hornet was sent out to test other styles. Bruce had the hardest time dealing with Choy Lee Fut people, which including the lineage I represent.

I know what you mean, i just don't see things as if its not elite its not worth being part of. I don't understand the elitists attitude. and i don't agree with it.
    Hung Sing Boyz, we gottit on lock down
    when he's around quick to ground and pound a clown
    Bruh we thought you knew better
    when it comes to head huntin, ain't no one can do it better

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Pina View Post
    Perspective: Bruce Lee made movies and rode around Hollywood in fast cars with fast women...
    You mean his wife...?

Bruce had the hardest time dealing with Choy Lee Fut people, which including the lineage I represent.
    Interesting, like to know where you got that little bit of info...never heard that before.

Be nice to spar someone from Choy Lee Fat lineage just to see for myself.

Blog Entries
    Interesting, like to know where you got that little bit of info...never heard that before.

Be nice to spar someone from Choy Lee Fat lineage just to see for myself.
    there are many schools in los angeles. take your pic.

are you aware that bruce lee said something to the effect of "Choy lee fut is one of the most complete systems offensively and defensively?

there are many schools in los angeles. take your pic.

are you aware that bruce lee said something to the effect of "Choy lee fut is one of the most complete systems offensively and defensively?
    No, but that depends on how close he was to his death when he made that quote. He also had the habit of saying that he did not believe in styles or systems.

Blog Entries
    No, but that depends on how close he was to his death when he made that quote. He also had the habit of saying that he did not believe in styles or systems.
    How close to his death? why does that matter? Bruce Lee died at 33 years old. And anyone over the age of 18 knows that he wasn't for the classical blah blah blah....thats old news.
    17 years of JKD and you never heard what bruce lee had to say about Choy Lee Fut?

According to Bruce Lee:

"Choy Li Fut is the most effective system that I've seen for fighting more than one person. [It] is one of the most difficult styles to attack and defend against. Choy Li Fut is the only style [of kung fu] that traveled to Thailand to fight the Thai boxers and hadn't lost." –Bruce Lee
    Last edited by hskwarrior; 10-17-2011 at 02:18 PM.

How close to his death? why does that matter? Bruce Lee died at 33 years old. And anyone over the age of 18 knows that he wasn't for the classical blah blah blah....thats old news.
    17 years of JKD and you never heard what bruce lee had to say about Choy Lee Fut?
    Because anyone who knows of Bruce Lee's evolution knows that he changed his opinion regarding traditional martial arts 5 years before his death, and continued to move towards being against styles, systems, and teaching large groups of students.

Hell, he closed his own schools a few years before he died because he felt even his own students were getting the wrong idea about his instruction, certifications, etc.

BL had said that CLF was one of the best arts for fighting against multiple opponents, and that CLF was very difficult to defend against.

Someone may or may not believe in styles/systems, but that doesn't mean that other people who train in styles/systems aren't highly effective with it, or that he couldn't acknowledge that.

Blog Entries
    Because anyone who knows of Bruce Lee's evolution knows that he changed his opinion regarding traditional martial arts 5 years before his death, and continued to move towards being against styles, systems, and teaching large groups of students.

Hell, he closed his own schools a few years before he died because he felt even his own students were getting the wrong idea about his instruction, certifications, etc.
    Oh i know this. But, i also think Bruce got it wrong as well. See, you can't run if you've never crawled or walked before. Bruce wanted them to have his mentality on martial arts, but he traveled that road to gain that insight. students who have never learned much less heard of any type of gung fu before would never comprehend what he was meaning back then. today, martial arts is so commerical its a house hold name in some cases. But back then, gung fu was still rare for the united states. However, Choy Lee Fut had been in america since the 1920's

Who hasn't had a number of street fights throughout their teen years? That doesn't make someone a martial art expert.

I acknowledge his lifetime pursuit of martial arts. I love him and understand why so many others do..... but as a dedicated martial artist, I can appreciate and love the painted faced Opera performer. But I haven't lost sight, recognize the world of difference between the professional Opera performer/martial hobbyist, and the professional samurai going out to battle.

This is related to form.

Jet Li has done the amazing on film to the point Tyson looks dull in reality.

Bruce Lee = John Wayne.

Oh i know this. But, i also think Bruce got it wrong as well. See, you can't run if you've never crawled or walked before. Bruce wanted them to have his mentality on martial arts, but he traveled that road to gain that insight. students who have never learned much less heard of any type of gung fu before would never comprehend what he was meaning back then. today, martial arts is so commerical its a house hold name in some cases. But back then, gung fu was still rare for the united states. However, Choy Lee Fut had been in america since the 1920's
    Correct. You can't 'chip away at the inessentials' if you don't have a block of experience to chip away from.

In many cases, being overly attached to being beyond systems, beyond method, etc., can itself be its own trap, if it becomes an obsession.

Of course no one would understand if they haven't walked that path themselves, and I wouldn't have understood now if I hadn't started at some other time with various martial arts. But we weren't talking about that, we're just talking about Bruce's view of TMA.

Not sure what Choy Lee Fut's existence in the US has to do with anything.

Blog Entries
    Who hasn't had a number of street fights throughout their teen years? That doesn't make someone a martial art expert
    It doesn't make him a NON FIGHTER either. Pro, Semi Pro, Amateur, or street level....a fighter is a figher.

i don't think anyone calls him a martial art expert. He is indeed the GUNG FU ICON.....hands down.