Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Did Bruce Lee reach the level of Grandmaster?

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Correct. You can't 'chip away at the inessentials' if you don't have a block of experience to chip away from.

In many cases, being overly attached to being beyond systems, beyond method, etc., can itself be its own trap, if it becomes an obsession.
    I agree, I think Bruce had elevated his understanding to the level where he was in a position to leave the idea of systems & styles behind.. If he was guilty of anything I think perhaps it was that he expected too much too soon from his students, who on the whole hadn't gone on the journey of discovery that he had.

Obviously that observation doesn't apply to some of the already veteran martial artists he trained with such as Dan Inosanto, but to people like Steve McQueen & James Coburn I think it was perhaps too much of a leap..

Blog Entries
    Not sure what Choy Lee Fut's existence in the US has to do with anything
    Thats my bad. I love bruce, knew of him long before i took CLF.......thats my bad. Its just we've had our dealings with bruce in the past and i'm proud of our CLF lineage. my bad.
    Hung Sing Boyz, we gottit on lock down
    when he's around quick to ground and pound a clown
    Bruh we thought you knew better
    when it comes to head huntin, ain't no one can do it better

Blog Entries
    I agree, I think Bruce had elevated his understanding to the level where he was in a position to leave the idea of systems & styles behind.. If he was guilty of anything I think perhaps it was that he expected too much too soon from his students, who on the whole hadn't gone on the journey of discovery that he had.

Obviously that observation doesn't apply to some of the already veteran martial artists he trained with such as Dan Inosanto, but to people like Steve McQueen & James Coburn I think it was perhaps too much of a leap..
    We all do. or at least we should. I personally refer to it as "the light bulb turning on"....when it does you start seeing that all fighting is relative. nothing is secret. and the truth lies within yourself and not the style you study. its when you hit certain levels and realize you have to go back to basics each and every time....albeit you are on different stages each time.

Quote Originally Posted by hskwarrior View Post
    Thats my bad. I love bruce, knew of him long before i took CLF.......thats my bad. Its just we've had our dealings with bruce in the past and i'm proud of our CLF lineage. my bad.
    No harm, no foul. Any recommendations of CLF schools in LA, preferably closer to Glendale, CA.

Blog Entries
    No harm, no foul. Any recommendations of CLF schools in LA, preferably closer to Glendale, CA.
    Right on. i have to look into who's in that area. I know i have my preferences regardless of CLF lineage. there are some good ones. One would be Frank Primicias.

Well, that makes little sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Pina View Post
    Perspective:
    special forces military personal anonymously risk, and often give, their life to protect the lives and lifestyles of total strangers.
    So special forces military personal are all grandmasters?
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Blog Entries
    Yes, special forces have to have special titles

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    No. They're "bigger martial artists" than Bruce Lee.

John Wayne may be the most recognizable, most called-to-name cowboy actor. He's not "the biggest" cowboy.

Not recognizing the difference gives the honor deserved to the men who forged their difficult way of life to persons who portrayed that way of life...

Bruce Lee was a college student who opened a Chop Suey Kung Fu school and got a break in Hollywood. And moviegoers everywhere made him famous..... he's not Musashi.

I would have hung out with bruce lee.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Blog Entries
    There's a karate school called Belliso's Karate, Bruce Lee used to teach upstairs from it.

What?

Not recognizing the difference gives the honor deserved to the men who forged their difficult way of life to persons who portrayed that way of life...

Bruce Lee was a college student who opened a Chop Suey Kung Fu school and got a break in Hollywood. And moviegoers everywhere made him famous..... he's not Musashi.
    Just how is recognizing Bruce Lee as a global icon dishonoring those others? In the same fashion, John Wayne could well be considered the 'biggest' cowboy because he was the most famous. It depends on how you define 'big'. He may not have been the most authentic cowboy, but when most people think cowboy, they think John Wayne. Same goes for Bruce. You can't disregard the power of pop culture.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

No. They're "bigger martial artists" than Bruce Lee.

John Wayne may be the most recognizable, most called-to-name cowboy actor. He's not "the biggest" cowboy.
    The comparison you're attempting to draw makes absolutely no sense and babbling on isn't helping the matter any more. Learn when to quit already lol

I am pork boy, the breakfast monkey.

left leg: mild bruising. right leg: charley horse

handsomerest member of KFM forum hands down

about bruce lee and martial arts:

imo bruce lee, at the hight of his physical peak, had some really good attributes for a fighter. However he was not a 'fighter' in the sense that he did not participated in regular fight competition. However, I dont doubt that with his physical abilities, if one were to throw down with bruce lee, it would have been a real fight. I dont think for a second that someone in that condition would be a simple push over, no way man, you'd be deluding yourself to think that, you have to be realisitc, the guy was fast and strong...arguably the most important attributes for a fighter. Someone that focused on building those attributes and being able to punch and kick with average to above average force... Those simple factors alone are enough evidence to support the claim that the guy could have been a handful in a squared up man to man fight.

I'm no bruce lee nut rider. but i also call it like i see it. the guy, while no matt hughes or anderson silva, likely could have given many people a run for their money in a kick boxing match.

I dont think samo hung is a huge sissy, and we all know if he kicked bruce lees ass he never would have shut up about it. so either it was a draw or he lost.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.