Thread: Should San Shou be open to all competitors and styles?

Hybrid View

Should San Shou be open to all competitors and styles?

Do you believe that TCMA tournaments that hold San Shou events should limit participation to only TCMA practioners or should any style be allowed to compete under these rules. Personnally I think it would go a long way to allow all styles to compete under San Shou instead of trying to make it strictly for Kung Fu. Thoughts?
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". -Cus D'Amato

100% open to all.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Yes.

Here are some extra words because the forum requires it: purple, monkey, majesty, whirlygig, amoeba, scrabble, Lord John Whorfin
    www.kungnation.com

Pre-order Kung! Twisted Barbarian Felony from your favorite comic shop!

I know there are events that anyone can compete in San Shou but I have also heard of "closed" type events where San Shou competitors have to prove they come from a TCMA background. I think this is a negative approach and further alienates us Kung Fu practioners from the rest of the martial arts world. It also takes from us the opportunity to fight and learn by competing against competitors from other arts.
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". -Cus D'Amato

open to all styles !

ginosifu

all styles!!!
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

sure, why not? It has a rule set, so any style can enter, they just have to stay to the rule set and it's all good.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by ginosifu View Post
    open to all styles !

ginosifu
    Gino, at the Great Lakes tournie are you guys having forms and continuous sparring competitions again. Last time I was there is was only San Shou and Shuai Ciao?

Quote Originally Posted by Iron_Eagle_76 View Post
    Gino, at the Great Lakes tournie are you guys having forms and continuous sparring competitions again. Last time I was there is was only San Shou and Shuai Ciao?
    Yes we have everything form forms, weapon, push hands, continuous, Shuai Chiao and san shou.

Although we invite everyone from all styles and areas, no one outside of CMA comes to our event for Shuai Chiao or San Shou? Now why is that? Why is it that other styles don't come? Do they feel they can not modify their technique for our competition? Are they scared they will see how bad they really are?

Any other CMA tournament promoters see this?

ginosifu

Do you believe that TCMA tournaments that hold San Shou events should limit participation to only TCMA practioners or should any style be allowed to compete under these rules. Personnally I think it would go a long way to allow all styles to compete under San Shou instead of trying to make it strictly for Kung Fu. Thoughts?
    I agree with you 100% (and that is what is so frightening! )!

Quote Originally Posted by Hardwork108 View Post
    I agree with you 100% (and that is what is so frightening! )!
    It's ok, your transformation to the dark side is nearly complete!!

Last edited by Iron_Eagle_76; 10-20-2011 at 05:12 AM.

San Shou/Sanda comps should be for everyone regardless of style.

Everyone benefits from such an approach.