Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Should San Shou be open to all competitors and styles?

Imo

Sanshou / Sanda guys can compete in mma were there are less rules and should not hurt there training were as a guy that trains in mma would be limited in his training under sanshou rules. Right now with the legal competitions out there can’t beat mma rules to test ones self.

My Goal In Life Is To Be A Better Person Today Than I Was Yesterday. Martial Art Is One Of The Tools I Use To Achieve This.

The Equation For Good Kung Fu Is Based On Four Simple Principles Breathing, Relaxation, Continues Movement, Structure. Working Them Under Pressure Is What Good Kung Fu Training Is About.

You Have To Breath To Relax, You Have To Relax To Move, You Have To Move To Keep Structure

My Video Page
    http://www.youtube.com/user/dcrjradmonish

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Testing oneself VS OTHER systems is the only thing that keeps a system from becoming "inbreed" and obsolete.

Very true. San Shou format allows a wide range of techniques, and it is quite safe. The main reason that holds other stylists back is whether they are willing to face the reality in public - allow people to see their style and their skill level in contest.

KC
    Hong Kong

Quote Originally Posted by Iron_Eagle_76 View Post
    Do you believe that TCMA tournaments that hold San Shou events should limit participation to only TCMA practioners or should any style be allowed to compete under these rules. Personnally I think it would go a long way to allow all styles to compete under San Shou instead of trying to make it strictly for Kung Fu. Thoughts?
    San Shou/Sanda comps should be for everyone regardless of style.

Everyone benefits from such an approach.

Quote Originally Posted by dcrjradmonish View Post
    Sanshou / Sanda guys can compete in mma were there are less rules and should not hurt there training were as a guy that trains in mma would be limited in his training under sanshou rules. Right now with the legal competitions out there can’t beat mma rules to test ones self.
    And that is what they shoudl be used for.
    Testing one skills.
    Right now MMA allows a fighter to test how complete his MA skills are because he will have to be competent in ALL ranges:
    Striking
    Clinch
    Throwing
    ground work
    submissions
    Ground n pound

Its not about becoming a MMA fighter or doing MMA, it is about one simply fact:
    In MMA you can TEST ALL your skills and get a good idea how good you are with NOTHING left out.
    And sense there still is a lot of variety out there, one can test to whatever degree of skill and/or rules one chooses.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

By the same token, MMAers may want to compete in San Shou to test their stand up skill, as well as their take down and wrestling skills. I can tell you this, in my state MMA is not legal so many of the local gyms compete in whatever combat sport is legal here and go out of state for MMA. This could be the case for someone competing from MMA or other things.

I'm sure there have been MMA guys who also competed in boxing, kickboxing, or Muay Thai, not really a stretch that they would compete in San Shou.
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". -Cus D'Amato

i think sanshou is a perfect format for guys who do mma but are far more advanced in ground than stand up so that they can better their experience and exposure to solid stand up. would only help improve their game, where as in mma they will be catering to their weakness constantly by always needing to take the fight to the ground.

same thing for guys in terms of submission grappling that are heavy on striking, entering grappling tourney can help tighten up their defeciencies.

imo
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    i think sanshou is a perfect format for guys who do mma but are far more advanced in ground than stand up so that they can better their experience and exposure to solid stand up. would only help improve their game, where as in mma they will be catering to their weakness constantly by always needing to take the fight to the ground.

same thing for guys in terms of submission grappling that are heavy on striking, entering grappling tourney can help tighten up their defeciencies.

imo
    Stop making sense, that's not what this forum is for!!
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". -Cus D'Amato

oh crap wrong forum!!!
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

It's a good point that at the amateur level one could diversify to make sure their overall game is of the level... compete in BJJ, kick boxing as well as mma. Once one is devoted to MMA though, thinking about seriously pursuing it, one can't risk injury with over competition. One needs a week to heal before a fight because the pre-fight prep is so intense. You can't maintain that.

Also, the concept of "having to" take someone down is like saying you "have to" punch someone in the face. One takes what one is presented. One utilizes what is successful for them..... again, this is the glory of MMA. You think you're striking is so good, and maybe it is, but there's more to fighting than that. How does your best overall game compare against other's best overall game.

Maybe someone "needs" to take you down. But they may do it 10 out of 10 times for a finish each time.

i do agree. a lot of it just comes down to 'there is always someone better' in such that when that guy does meet someone who can stuff all his shots and out strike him, he'll be screwed. thus the overall game, like you said. but then, thats the same for all of us with our respective strengths/weaknesses. but for someone like me (can fully admit the ground is my weakness, not that im not addressing it, but it still is) i do have to 'strike them in the face' or any other body part presented and available, because i really dont want to go to the ground if i can at all avoid it.