Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Wing Chun Upper Cut and Hooks?

Wing Chun Upper Cut and Hooks?

Does your WC have upper cuts and hooks?

Granted the energy is not akin to what a boxer is doing. But WC lineages forms have an upper cut or a hook with in the system....

Such as Chum Kiu having a short range upper cut. Bil Gee having right and left hook after pulling your opponent into it.

So do tell do you train against a hooks and uppercuts also do you train to apply them in sparring?
    The Flow is relentless like a raging ocean with crashing waves devasting anything in its path.

"Kick Like Thunder, Strike Like Lighting, Fist Hard as Stones."

"Wing Chun flows around overwhelming force and finds openings with its constant flow of forward energy."

"Always Attack, Be Aggressive always Attack first, Be Relentless. Continue with out ceasing. Flow Like Water, Move like the wind, Attack Like Fire. Consume and overwhelm your Adversary until he is No More"

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshiyahu View Post

Granted the energy is not akin to what a boxer is doing. But WC lineages forms have an upper cut or a hook with in the system....

Such as Chum Kiu having a short range upper cut. Bil Gee having right and left hook after pulling your opponent into it.

So do tell do you train against a hooks and uppercuts also do you train to apply them in sparring?
    My Wing Chun that I have been taught and train has 90% (best guess) of all the striking that all other martial arts have - just that it goes through a different 'expression' on the way out.

Straights, verticals, hooks, uppercuts, over-the-top elbows, horizontal elbows, upward elbows, knees, headbutts, clinch-ish, shoulder-butts, etc. You name it...it's there.
    “An ounce of action is worth a ton of theory.” – Friedrich Engels

Quote Originally Posted by couch View Post
    My Wing Chun that I have been taught and train has 90% (best guess) of all the striking that all other martial arts have - just that it goes through a different 'expression' on the way out.

Straights, verticals, hooks, uppercuts, over-the-top elbows, horizontal elbows, upward elbows, knees, headbutts, clinch-ish, shoulder-butts, etc. You name it...it's there.
    Thanks for the post!
    The Flow is relentless like a raging ocean with crashing waves devasting anything in its path.

"Kick Like Thunder, Strike Like Lighting, Fist Hard as Stones."

"Wing Chun flows around overwhelming force and finds openings with its constant flow of forward energy."

"Always Attack, Be Aggressive always Attack first, Be Relentless. Continue with out ceasing. Flow Like Water, Move like the wind, Attack Like Fire. Consume and overwhelm your Adversary until he is No More"

I do not use hooks at all. Uppercuts can be delivered with considerable power, but a hook is a shortened weapon that does not have the same power. Sure, you can hit pretty hard with a hook, but it requires a curved arm coming in a circle with no body behind it. I never used it. Uppercut is something that can be useful, and it can be a knockout punch, but I simpy can not apply the same power in a hook.
    Jackie Lee

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chiang Po View Post
    I do not use hooks at all. Uppercuts can be delivered with considerable power, but a hook is a shortened weapon that does not have the same power. Sure, you can hit pretty hard with a hook, but it requires a curved arm coming in a circle with no body behind it. I never used it. Uppercut is something that can be useful, and it can be a knockout punch, but I simpy can not apply the same power in a hook.
    plenty of people gets ko by hook in boxing what makes you think theres no power behind it ?

Hook can be effective, but like all other weapons you need to do it right and time it right

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshiyahu View Post

There are no hooks and uppercuts in my VT! The action in CK that looks like an uppercut is not an uppercut. There are no hooks in BJ either.

Maybe you should be thinking more along the lines of recovering the elbow position, control of the center and improving the usage of elbow for the punch.

These hooking and uppercut actions in general WC systems stem from people in the past looking at others doing the forms and creating their own interprtations based on what they see..........my opinion.

There are other ideas at work here.

I would rather you had said "some" lineages use these as hooks and uppercuts.

GH

I wouldn't call the thing in bui jee a hook as you are just bending your wrist and not bending the elbow. It is more of a waist movement with the pivot . We also don't use the chum kui as an uppercut tguis is more to teach you how to get back to a punch from the bong, also with the wrist turned it blocks more of the center, adds power etc. I use this a lot on the ground when punching the guy in the side as it is near impossible the do the normal fist and not contact with the finger portion of the wrist with a straight punch
    That doesn't mean I don't punch up or the side but a hook and an uppercut are based on boxing terms and I know what I learn boxing was completly different so I like to make the distinction
    Last edited by bennyvt; 10-19-2011 at 04:42 AM. Reason: drunk blackberry

I wouldn't call the thing in bui jee a hook as you are just bending your wrist and not bending the elbow. It is more of a waist movement with the pivot .
    Correct! Its not a hook. Why do we bend the wrist inwards during fook sau??......maybe for the same reasons.

We also don't use the chum kui as an uppercut tguis is more to teach you how to get back to a punch from the bong, also wit hygr quest turned it blocks more of the center, adds power etc.
    It is to teach how to punch correctly (elbow position) but it could be from any position. Its all about the punch, reinforcing SLT and where we start to use different angles. We can't fight using SLT. It is one dimensional. VT comes alive in CK.

The idea of elbow usage and recovery is everywhere in the forms.

GH

A proper hook has the body behind it. If you are only using the arm, they usually call that a "swing".
    "God gave you a brain, and it annoys Him greatly when you choose not to use it."

The hook doesn't have the body behind it? How so? Wing Chun's hip-twisting action to generate power is a perfect place to start the hook.

Hooks, also, aren't generally long, looping actions. Hooks are tight and can be used at a close range.

Quote Originally Posted by Graham H View Post
    Correct! Its not a hook. Why do we bend the wrist inwards during fook sau??......maybe for the same reasons.

GH
    I agree and don't think that the BJ contains a hook. In my lineage, it's called a Ginger Fist (akin to a panther punch). Needs conditioning to make it work, so I use a close fist as a personal preference. The ginger fist can fit into small (rib) spaces, can rake against the ribs and is a good tool to use when refacing (as BJ teaches).

Quote Originally Posted by couch View Post
    I agree and don't think that the BJ contains a hook. In my lineage, it's called a Ginger Fist (akin to a panther punch). Needs conditioning to make it work, so I use a close fist as a personal preference. The ginger fist can fit into small (rib) spaces, can rake against the ribs and is a good tool to use when refacing (as BJ teaches).
    You think there is time in fighting to place ginger fists between ribs??? If the ribs are open then why not just punch normally? No point in making funny shapes with the hand. There is too much risk of injury to strike with the wrist bent.

GH
    Last edited by Sihing73; 10-19-2011 at 11:26 AM.

upper cuts and hooks.

You can give them whatever name s you want. The upper cut and hook like motions are not western boxing motions because of wing chun approach to use of shoulder and the rquirements of good chor ma and other wing chun footwork... and the body is united in both motions.
    Depends on your wing chun.

BTW even in boxing, a good hook is NOT a swing.

joy chaudhuri

Quote Originally Posted by Graham H View Post
    You think there is time in fighting to place ginger fists between ribs??? If the ribs are open then why not just punch normally? No point in making funny shapes with the hand. There is too much risk of injury to strike with the wrist bent.

GH
    Wing Chun is a Kung-Fu.

Plus, the Ginger Fist is in there due to the recovering position from the BJ. Not a lot of room.

Blog Entries
    How hard will it be to include both "hook punch" and "upper cut" into your training? Why should you care about whether it was in your system or not? As long as you know how to use it, that should all you care about. You are the master and styles are your slaves. It's you that's more important.

A: Dear master! Does "hook punch" exist in our style?
    B: It didn't. Since I know how to do "hook punch" and I have taught you already, today you can say that our style has "hook punch". 1000 years from today, who is going to ask the same question?
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 10-19-2011 at 12:54 PM.