Thread: Wing Chun Drills and Skills

Wing Chun Drills and Skills

What exactly does the WC drills and skills prepare you for?

To fight inclose range...WC range is where your close enough to have your elbow bent while your arms are in contact with your opponents. WC chain range is from elbow stricking range to chain punch range. This is where it is most efficient.

Look at your training tools. What do they teach you?

Mook Yan Jong - Issuing power while bridging inclose

Chi Sau - Developing sensitivity while bridging inclose

Wall Bag - Conditioning hands and developing power to punch inclose

Tripod Poles - Kicking with power while inclose

Chi Gerk - Kicking your opponent while inclose

Bridging the gap techinques - How to get with in Wing Chun Range

Lop Sau - How to intercept a bridge while striking inclose

Tan Da - How dispersed your opponents force inclose

Jut Sau - Sinking arm while inclose

All of the WC techniques for inclose fighting not outside. Of course you can adapt your WC game for outside fighting. But inclose is faster an allows you to end the confrontation quickly. If you develop your inside fighting skills to a high level. Once your in clinch range or stand up grappling range few opponents will be able to deal with you head to head and toe to toe.

WC Kicks are suppose to executed inclose

WC Punches are short range

Inch Power is develop for inclose explosive strikes

Every Two Man drill is to get you comfortable executing the techniques face to face with your opponent.

The very YGKYM which some say is not a fighting stance just for training is designed for inclose fighting.
    The Flow is relentless like a raging ocean with crashing waves devasting anything in its path.

"Kick Like Thunder, Strike Like Lighting, Fist Hard as Stones."

"Wing Chun flows around overwhelming force and finds openings with its constant flow of forward energy."

"Always Attack, Be Aggressive always Attack first, Be Relentless. Continue with out ceasing. Flow Like Water, Move like the wind, Attack Like Fire. Consume and overwhelm your Adversary until he is No More"

Well, it looks like you just answered your own question.
    Jackie Lee

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshiyahu View Post

To fight inclose range...WC range is where your close enough to have your elbow bent while your arms are in contact with your opponents. WC chain range is from elbow stricking range to chain punch range. This is where it is most efficient.

All of the WC techniques for inclose fighting not outside. Of course you can adapt your WC game for outside fighting. But inclose is faster an allows you to end the confrontation quickly. If you develop your inside fighting skills to a high level. Once your in clinch range or stand up grappling range few opponents will be able to deal with you head to head and toe to toe.

WC Kicks are suppose to executed inclose

WC Punches are short range

Inch Power is develop for inclose explosive strikes

Every Two Man drill is to get you comfortable executing the techniques face to face with your opponent.

The very YGKYM which some say is not a fighting stance just for training is designed for inclose fighting.
    Tan sao is a punch, it doesnt leave the centerline but the elbow of tan does
    Jum sao is a punch, the elbow goes in along the centerline as the hand goes forwards.

What do they teach me?

Mook Yan Jong - proper use of force, alignment, precision, syncronicity of action, conditioning of the correct elbow usage........

Chi Sau - a drill for learning via mutual co-operation between two training partners

Controlling the elbow for the punch, structure building and precision.

Tripod poles - for standing my camera on.

Chi Gerk - for dreamers

Bridging the gap - the most direct way to an opponent

Lap Sau - a drill for conditioning elbow position, syncronicty, focus, speed and smooth changes.

Tan - a punch

Jut sau - small shocking action for opening the way for the punch - next hit position.
    YGKYM - for training the lower body for supporting the punch.

GH

Looking at what you wrote, and others interpretations here I think all you're ever going to learn doing these drills is how to be a good copy-cat!

Of course, it is expected that in a large public class, basic methods are introduced as a marching exercise to help coordinate the body, but this is all very very basic training and shouldn't need more than 6 months (2-4hrs p/w) to get to a decent standard imho.

Some of the methods you mention are a little more meaningful, and can nurture with time as long as a good foundation is present. For example:

Mook Yan Jong - Lifelong learning tool, not just a set of 108/116 moves

Chi Sau - Very much misunderstood, and only contributes to a fraction of our interactive exercises

Wall Bag - Something that can be drilled very early on, during SLT learning, and at a later stage if you want to develop 'iron hand'.

Tripod Poles - Moi Fa poles are used, so this term you use is strange to me, but the posts I'm talking of are key to understanding weight distribution of stance and stepping patterns

Chi Gerk - Like Chisau, only a tiny fraction of our interactive practises.

Bridging the gap techinques - I refer to these as 'Entry Techniques' and they tend to be personalised by each Sifu. I call them sansau.

Lop Sau - This is a manipulation method, and fme is more related to the controlling hand than the searching bridge. One main technical drill has become very popular, but this practise is vast.

Tan Da - Again, a very simple drill which can be practised in many ways. Interpretations vary massively though, so good luck!

Jut Sau - Just a name of one hand technique! But it has repetitive uses and a multiple of examples. There is not just one jutsau fme.

Again, this is just my opinion but thanks for putting a bit of life back into the dicussion board Yoshi!!
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

Your Very Welcome...

My focus is to insinuate that all of the drills and training are done at close range!

Quote Originally Posted by LoneTiger108 View Post
    Looking at what you wrote, and others interpretations here I think all you're ever going to learn doing these drills is how to be a good copy-cat!

Of course, it is expected that in a large public class, basic methods are introduced as a marching exercise to help coordinate the body, but this is all very very basic training and shouldn't need more than 6 months (2-4hrs p/w) to get to a decent standard imho.

Some of the methods you mention are a little more meaningful, and can nurture with time as long as a good foundation is present. For example:

Mook Yan Jong - Lifelong learning tool, not just a set of 108/116 moves

Chi Sau - Very much misunderstood, and only contributes to a fraction of our interactive exercises

Wall Bag - Something that can be drilled very early on, during SLT learning, and at a later stage if you want to develop 'iron hand'.

Tripod Poles - Moi Fa poles are used, so this term you use is strange to me, but the posts I'm talking of are key to understanding weight distribution of stance and stepping patterns

Chi Gerk - Like Chisau, only a tiny fraction of our interactive practises.

Bridging the gap techinques - I refer to these as 'Entry Techniques' and they tend to be personalised by each Sifu. I call them sansau.

Lop Sau - This is a manipulation method, and fme is more related to the controlling hand than the searching bridge. One main technical drill has become very popular, but this practise is vast.

Tan Da - Again, a very simple drill which can be practised in many ways. Interpretations vary massively though, so good luck!

Jut Sau - Just a name of one hand technique! But it has repetitive uses and a multiple of examples. There is not just one jutsau fme.

Again, this is just my opinion but thanks for putting a bit of life back into the dicussion board Yoshi!!
    The Flow is relentless like a raging ocean with crashing waves devasting anything in its path.

"Wing Chun flows around overwhelming force and finds openings with its constant flow of forward energy."

"Always Attack, Be Aggressive always Attack first, Be Relentless. Continue with out ceasing. Flow Like Water, Move like the wind, Attack Like Fire. Consume and overwhelm your Adversary until he is No More"

Your Very Welcome...

My focus is to insinuate that all of the drills and training are done at close range!
    ...we kick too. We only start in close proximity in drills so we can exchange force in the distances we will move into as we fight.
    When we do chi-sao we start at dan chi-sao, a distance too far away to touch the body, we focus only on the elbows and their new roles.
    then we step a few inches closer as we move to poon soa /lok sao so we can utilize this new elbow idea AND punch too. But how do we know the punch and elbows and hip unity are good without a means to develop it with each other as 'mirrors' .
    You should be like a mirror in facing with equal energy in both sides of the tan /jum & bong /man cycles.
    The lat sao chet chung ideas are developed with empty space offered repeatedly to make each other become accustomed to striking with loss of contact.
    Additionally the whole person moves to make a greater expression of bridging the gap without much thought to it.
    Progressively the partners can start to spar from distances outside chi-sao knowing this is where they will hit or be hit. As they are outside this area they move and adopt a strategic face-off to the partner...just like any fighting.
    Not reliant on 'close proximity' or 'special' circumstances to function.
    We hit and hit hard , we kick and kick even harder but with solid stances and no surprises for balance under sudden contact with outside forces. We learn to rely on ourselves for maintaining balance and ability to generate force from virtually no retraction beyond bringing the hands back to the elbows and forwards again.

Interesting in deed....sounds like some good training to me....

Quote Originally Posted by k gledhill View Post
    ...we kick too. We only start in close proximity in drills so we can exchange force in the distances we will move into as we fight.
    When we do chi-sao we start at dan chi-sao, a distance too far away to touch the body, we focus only on the elbows and their new roles.
    then we step a few inches closer as we move to poon soa /lok sao so we can utilize this new elbow idea AND punch too. But how do we know the punch and elbows and hip unity are good without a means to develop it with each other as 'mirrors' .
    You should be like a mirror in facing with equal energy in both sides of the tan /jum & bong /man cycles.
    The lat sao chet chung ideas are developed with empty space offered repeatedly to make each other become accustomed to striking with loss of contact.
    Additionally the whole person moves to make a greater expression of bridging the gap without much thought to it.
    Progressively the partners can start to spar from distances outside chi-sao knowing this is where they will hit or be hit. As they are outside this area they move and adopt a strategic face-off to the partner...just like any fighting.
    Not reliant on 'close proximity' or 'special' circumstances to function.
    We hit and hit hard , we kick and kick even harder but with solid stances and no surprises for balance under sudden contact with outside forces. We learn to rely on ourselves for maintaining balance and ability to generate force from virtually no retraction beyond bringing the hands back to the elbows and forwards again.

Your Very Welcome...

Okay I see that you're looking at that, but everything you mention can also be done in other ranges, and in fact the skills learnt at longer range will depict how well you can get into closer range too. Its no good being a magician at close range when you can't even get there!!

Legwork (kicking) is also very important indeed to bridge the ranges, as Kev as already highlighted.
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

My Opinion of the WC system is different.

Frankly I believe a good WC guy can use pure WC to close the gap and bridge. Thus being able to utilize his tools at close range. All fights that start off long distance end up eventually close distance. If your opponent is aggressive he will clash with you and end up there quickly. If your aggressive you will clash with him an end up there quickly.

WC two sayings

He who attacks first wins!

Recieve what comes, Follow what leaves, rush in on loss of contact.

These two principles deal with the issue of sticking to your opponents center, jamming his space while bridging and attacking simultaneously

WC training tools are to get you use to be close so when your there you know what to do!!!

Quote Originally Posted by LoneTiger108 View Post
    Okay I see that you're looking at that, but everything you mention can also be done in other ranges, and in fact the skills learnt at longer range will depict how well you can get into closer range too. Its no good being a magician at close range when you can't even get there!!

Legwork (kicking) is also very important indeed to bridge the ranges, as Kev as already highlighted.