Thread: Kenny Johnson wrestling for MMA

Kenny Johnson wrestling for MMA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0nORIUjUKs

short clip of when former Hawkeye (and wrestling coach to the likes of BJ Penn and Jose Aldo) Kenny Johnson visited for a week at my MMA gym, enjoy

For those who are interested he not only taught a 3hr seminar (which I think in reality lasted all day….. I had to call it a day after 4 and a half and it was still going strong) but also taught a few classes as well (I think on the Friday he taught for 10 hours straight)

Highlights for me were the Russian 2 on 1 series he taught, the front headlock series, and the details he went over in the clinch which totally changed my clinch game overnight , another highlight was when he brought the crash mats out for suplex training (I enjoyed that one for the look of horror on the faces of our coaches when they realised what he had planned….luckily no one got injured lol)

This is the third time my gym has brought him over and each time you can see guys with years of experience visibly improve under his coaching, if you get a chance I suggest attending one of his seminars

The state that resembles a middle finger.
    some good stuff. Like how he focuses on the smaller details and correct body positioning.

would liked to have seen a vid of the suplex drills he did for sure.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i had an old taichi lady talk smack behind my back. i mean comon man, come on. if it was 200 years ago,, mebbe i wouldve smacked her and took all her monehs.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i am manly and strong. do not insult me cracker.

bumped because on another thread someone asked about kenny
    and some insecure person deleted the thread

Kenny Johnson began his combat sports career as a stand-out wrestler in high school. His wrestling abilities allowed him to continue competition into college where he became a NCAA Division 3 All-American at Cornell College where he won multiple championships. He caught the eye of the University of Iowa where he transferred to and competed on undefeated Big Ten and National Championship teams under legendary coach, Dan Gable.

Kenny’s passion for the sport kept him involved after college as he coached for the Northwestern University while training for the 1996 Olympics. In 1997, he moved to Colorado Springs, Colorado where he was a member of the first U.S. Olympic Training Center resident program in freestyle wrestling. While attending, he was introduced to some of today’s elite mma fighters such as Randy Couture, Dan Henderson, and Matt Lindland.

Kenny’s strong wrestling base helped him make the transition into Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu competition where he has already placed first in the Pan-Americans, Gi and No-Gi World Jiu Jitsu Championships in 2007-09. As an incredible grappler, he moved on to become a Mixed Martial Artist where he currently trains all aspects of the sport.

In addition to his professional MMA career, Kenny serves as the wrestling coach to MMA Champions BJ Penn, Anderson Silva, Paul Daley and Minotauro Nogueira and was even invited to coach Nogueria’s team on The Ultimate Fighter Season 8.
    Last edited by Frost; 07-24-2012 at 04:39 PM.