Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Thread: Ginger Fist & Phoenix Eye

Quote Originally Posted by wingchunIan View Post
    So as a quoted party to the dialogue which camp are you placing me in then Joy?
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Ian
    The examples "saddened me" rather than" almost make me cry". Just different choice of words for a similar reaction.. I was not placing you in any camp.

Quote Originally Posted by GlennR View Post
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Regarding your question, looking at all the guys you mentioned im not sure if any of them did push ups, they were probably of the belief that it would slow them down which has been proven to be nonsense
    I'd agree Glenn that the musculature of the gents in question doesn't suggest they did push ups or any similar exercises for that matter. As for why, we'll never know. When I used to be a gym rat my own sifu said something interesting to me that has always stuck it was along the lines of if you want to go to the gym to look good or get fit then that's a personal choice but just think of all the Wing Chun you could be practising instead. Also we need to overlay the TCM element and it is possible that there might well have been more focus on internal health than external fitness.
    People should do what they feel is right for them, if doing 100 push ups a day makes a person's wing chun feel better then who has a right to tell them otherwise apart from their own sifu and seniors.
    A clever man learns from his mistakes but a truly wise man learns from the mistakes of others.

Wing Chun kung fu in Redditch
    Worcestershire Wing Chun Kuen on facebook

If Leung Jan had the Internet, and the latest research on biomechanics and physiology, what would he do?
    Indeed. As with any "ancient sage", don't do what they did ... seek what they sought. don't follow blindly, use your brain.

Push ups might be bad for your WC (unlikely IMO, and it begs the question - why?) ... but also some say that typing on a keyboard messes with the chi flow at the meridian junctions and will f*** you up far worse .... also that sitting on your a$$ in an office chair 8 hours a day is a great way to shorten your life, blah blah blah ... if you avoided everything various random internet authorities say is "bad" for your WC you'd need to be a hermit in a cave somewhere.

And if you practise BJJ or any non-T MA, your WC is beyond redemption

I've yet to see any concrete evidence that WC, Qigong, etc. improve the length of quality of life. A fair few of our seniors in recent times died too young and had significant health problems. There is a fair amount of evidence that weight bearing exercise, like the dreaded pushups, can improve quality of life into old age.

I do a fair amount of pushups, and reckon I could still kick Moshe's a$$
    Last edited by anerlich; 10-31-2012 at 02:22 PM.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

It's quite amazing but not a surprise that's in a forum dedicated to wing Chun and to what should imply the development of his particular skill ,that some people are there to argue on considerations completely unfamiliar to this art.

If you wish to promote this , good for you
    If you feel that you are improving the system , good for your ego and for your self confidence

I'm simply more humble ,knowing that what came to me have years of experimentations by the ancestors before they codified it and I also know that the quality of the skill of the recent generations is just decreasing
    Then what have been lost is certainly not compensated or even related to the methods you are promoting

Principally for the yip man branch

Concerning the skill that has been adapted by Leung chan and taught like the way we find in china , this skill being more simple and addressed to more physical people , I do believe that it's still quite authentic , more complete and opened to this kind of physical reenforcement,

Ps: tha reason they are practising chi kong is not to increase the strength but to relaxe themselves because they are too much physical

Quote Originally Posted by MOSHE View Post
    I'm simply more humble ,knowing that what came to me have years of experimentations by the ancestors before they codified it and I also know that the quality of the skill of the recent generations is just decreasing
    Then what have been lost is certainly not compensated or even related to the methods you are promoting
    Wow, "I am right and all of you are wrong", that's awesome, not humble.
    Dr. J Fung
    www.kulowingchun.com

"打得好就詠春,打得唔好就dum春"

way too many mouthboxers here spouting much BS
    Mouth Boxers have not the testicular nor the spinal fortitude to be known.
    Hence they hide rather than be known as adults.

Quote Originally Posted by anerlich View Post
    Indeed. As with any "ancient sage", don't do what they did ... seek what they sought. don't follow blindly, use your brain.
    True on so many levels, not just in MA.
    Dr. J Fung
    www.kulowingchun.com

"打得好就詠春,打得唔好就dum春"

Quote Originally Posted by MOSHE View Post
    It's quite amazing but not a surprise that's in a forum dedicated to wing Chun and to what should imply the development of his particular skill ,that some people are there to argue on considerations completely unfamiliar to this art.
    What amazes me is how we can discuss WC or any MA as an entity separate from the practitioner’s life, almost as some sort of formula that you mustn’t pollute with perceived outside influences.

All MA advocate training harder when you are young which doesn’t mean just volume but to concentrate on attributes such as strength. As you age things like timing and experience in handling force come to the fore so it can seem that the seniors didn’t do strength training but they did.

I note however that practitioners leading a more physical life may have different requirements and agree that the relaxation effect of certain hei gung is integral to its inclusion in martial practice.

Nice discussion in general on PE fist by the way, was only ever shown one way to use it, bit like a shovel hook and not sure if it came from WC or not.

Dave

I'm simply more humble
    You've hidden that attribute very well.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Dugas View Post
    way too many mouthboxers here spouting much BS
    welcome to the wing chun forum
    What chi sau is, or isn't, or is, or wait, what is it..: http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/foru...2&postcount=90

Me Personally I use the Phoenix Eye and Sun Fist interchangably when sparring or fighting....
    The Flow is relentless like a raging ocean with crashing waves devasting anything in its path.

"Kick Like Thunder, Strike Like Lighting, Fist Hard as Stones."

"Wing Chun flows around overwhelming force and finds openings with its constant flow of forward energy."

"Always Attack, Be Aggressive always Attack first, Be Relentless. Continue with out ceasing. Flow Like Water, Move like the wind, Attack Like Fire. Consume and overwhelm your Adversary until he is No More"

I’d missed this one

The ‘ginger fist’ isn’t always used for small areas when striking; here’s one example. I was taught to use it as a knife, by stabbing the ribs and raking downward like a xylophone while using the knuckle after the strike itself, it’s very, very affective when in actual combat.

I’ve sent a lot of overzealous men down to their knees with that strike when sparring. Don’t take my word for it; just place the knuckle on someone’s ribs without the strike, then rake downward (forcefully or lightly) and watch the wonderful reaction/whimper you’ll get from that person.

The ‘ginger fist’ really works.
    Last edited by Ali. R; 11-28-2012 at 04:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ali. R View Post
    The ‘ginger fist’ isn’t always used for small areas when striking; here’s one example. I was taught to use it as a knife, by stabbing the ribs and raking downward like a xylophone while using the knuckle after the strike itself, it’s very, very affective when in actual combat.

I’ve sent a lot of overzealous men down to their knees with that strike when sparring. Don’t take my word for it; just place the knuckle on someone’s ribs without the strike, then rake downward (forcefully or lightly) and watch the wonderful reaction/whimper you’ll get from that person.

I was taught a similar thing by a jujitsu guy only you use the knuckles on the sternum.
    I’ve sent a lot of overzealous men down to their knees with that... watch the wonderful reaction/whimper you’ll get from that person.

The old man scared the snot out of me

Yeah, it really hurts badly. My sifu was about 60 years old when he done that to me, I was about 27 years of age at that time (got overzealous with him).

Man, I’d wiped away a few tears that day, he done it to me one time; in which got my attention really fast and gave me a new found respect for the elderly.

I was walking around sizing up senior citizen for over a month; wondering if I could take them or not. That made me nervous as heck of old people and much more respectful too.

Thanks for sharing...i wanted to comment before the hate on your post came...great!!!!

The Flow is relentless like a raging ocean with crashing waves devasting anything in its path.

"Kick Like Thunder, Strike Like Lighting, Fist Hard as Stones."

"Wing Chun flows around overwhelming force and finds openings with its constant flow of forward energy."

"Always Attack, Be Aggressive always Attack first, Be Relentless. Continue with out ceasing. Flow Like Water, Move like the wind, Attack Like Fire. Consume and overwhelm your Adversary until he is No More"