Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Explosive Spring Power

Explosive Spring Power

What are some ways to develop Explosive power with your Wing Chun punches.

what about push ups, hitting the wall bag, kettle bells or free weights?

Explosive Push Ups

Clip 2 Explosive exercises
    The Flow is relentless like a raging ocean with crashing waves devasting anything in its path.

"Kick Like Thunder, Strike Like Lighting, Fist Hard as Stones."

"Wing Chun flows around overwhelming force and finds openings with its constant flow of forward energy."

"Always Attack, Be Aggressive always Attack first, Be Relentless. Continue with out ceasing. Flow Like Water, Move like the wind, Attack Like Fire. Consume and overwhelm your Adversary until he is No More"

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshiyahu View Post

Explosive Push Ups

I drink a lot of Red Bull...it gives me wings...
    Last edited by stonecrusher69; 10-30-2012 at 04:20 PM.
    http://www.facebook.com/sifumcilwrath
    http://www.youtube.com/user/sifumcilwrath

There is no REAL secrets in Wing Chun, but because the forms are conceptual you have to know how to decipher the information..That's the secret..

Again, another thread looking for views that are already being covered on another recent thread...... And how is this different than your power generation thread? Seems to be pretty close, couldn't you just ask there?

Or are you just looking for 'Thread Creator of the Year' award?
    What chi sau is, or isn't, or is, or wait, what is it..: http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/foru...2&postcount=90

Quote Originally Posted by stonecrusher69 View Post
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Good one!

Blog Entries
    This is how i do it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FG3f9T92KsU

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by kung fu fighter View Post
    -----------------------------------------
    Wow Navin- Brisk rather than Bull.

For punch power from coordination... Siu lim tao, chum kiu, biu jee, mook yan jong, luk dim boon kwan, baat jaam do, chute bo.

Heavy weight lifting using basic strength lifts like bench, squat, military press, deadlift, and bent over rows will help strengthen the muscles and tendons so the joints will be reinforced and to give you a basic foundation for explosive movements.

When you move on to explosive movements they train the explosive power. Ideally you want to do movements as close to those you are training for. Medicine ball chest passes are great for developing explosive punching power. Box jumps for leg explosiveness. There are a few others you can use which fit the wing chun movements fairly closely so just look into it on your own.

didn't work for Felix Baumgartner - he still needed a weather balloon and parachute

Maybe because he didn't do WC and did too many pushups
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

good post

i like the high box jumps you mentioned...they do that in boxing.

Quote Originally Posted by Bacon View Post
    For punch power from coordination... Siu lim tao, chum kiu, biu jee, mook yan jong, luk dim boon kwan, baat jaam do, chute bo.

Heavy weight lifting using basic strength lifts like bench, squat, military press, deadlift, and bent over rows will help strengthen the muscles and tendons so the joints will be reinforced and to give you a basic foundation for explosive movements.

When you move on to explosive movements they train the explosive power. Ideally you want to do movements as close to those you are training for. Medicine ball chest passes are great for developing explosive punching power. Box jumps for leg explosiveness. There are a few others you can use which fit the wing chun movements fairly closely so just look into it on your own.
    The Flow is relentless like a raging ocean with crashing waves devasting anything in its path.

"Kick Like Thunder, Strike Like Lighting, Fist Hard as Stones."

"Wing Chun flows around overwhelming force and finds openings with its constant flow of forward energy."

"Always Attack, Be Aggressive always Attack first, Be Relentless. Continue with out ceasing. Flow Like Water, Move like the wind, Attack Like Fire. Consume and overwhelm your Adversary until he is No More"

Explosive Push Ups

Try spending less time looking for shortcuts and do more training!!! Opening sequence of SNT, second section of SNT, Opening section of CK, opening section of BJ, Gung lik training, chi sao, MYJ, wall bag all develop explosive power. No need to look elsewhere or supplement unless you have more hours in the day than you can fill with the above.
    A clever man learns from his mistakes but a truly wise man learns from the mistakes of others.

Wing Chun kung fu in Redditch
    Worcestershire Wing Chun Kuen on facebook

Quote Originally Posted by wingchunIan View Post
    Try spending less time looking for shortcuts and do more training!!! Opening sequence of SNT, second section of SNT, Opening section of CK, opening section of BJ, Gung lik training, chi sao, MYJ, wall bag all develop explosive power. No need to look elsewhere or supplement unless you have more hours in the day than you can fill with the above.
    Shortcuts? More efficiency than shortcuts. Isn't that what Wing Chun is all about?

Something as simple as a regular protein shake can increase the results you gain from your work outs.

But so many TMA guys would rather just "More SNT, more form. more training."

Welcome to the 21st century, our technology and education will take your further, in a shorter amount of time, than an extra helping of SNT.

Its not a shortcut, its making your training regimen effective and efficient.

[QUOTE=AdrianK;1198782]
    Shortcuts? More efficiency than shortcuts. Isn't that what Wing Chun is all about?
    A shortcut is only more efficient if it takes you to where you want to go, and if you haven't spent twice as long trying to find a shortcut than it would have taken by the normal route

Something as simple as a regular protein shake can increase the results you gain from your work outs.

But so many TMA guys would rather just "More SNT, more form. more training."

Welcome to the 21st century, our technology and education will take your further, in a shorter amount of time, than an extra helping of SNT.
    I disagree completely, modern training aids have a place and I own several, modern training methods can help to develop certain attributes (eg plyometrics for explosive footwork) but in regards to the explosive power characteristic of high level Wing Chun strikes the key is relaxation and a rapid on off pulse combined with skeletal alignment, which ultimately comes down to control over ones own muscles. The size of the muscles whilst not irrelevant is nowhere near as important.
    Good luck with your protein shakes. I used to live on them (along with creatine and all manner of other supplements) when I was a gym rat and it never made the blindest bit of difference to my Wing Chun. Exercises designed to build fast twitch muscle fibres are great but only if you have the ability use them and only for as long as you have them.
    A clever man learns from his mistakes but a truly wise man learns from the mistakes of others.

Ahh, where do I begin..

Quote Originally Posted by wingchunIan View Post
    A shortcut is only more efficient if it takes you to where you want to go, and if you haven't spent twice as long trying to find a shortcut than it would have taken by the normal route
    Except when you're already on the normal route. I hardly think anyone here has taken away from their normal training routine. There are times to cultivate the body, and there are times to cultivate the mind.

I disagree completely, modern training aids have a place and I own several, modern training methods can help to develop certain attributes (eg plyometrics for explosive footwork)
    Not really sure what you mean by "owning" modern training methods, but okay, cool. Modern training aids have a place in every professional physical activity and their spectrum is so broad that I place serious doubt in your assertion that you have even skimmed the surface of them.

but in regards to the explosive power characteristic of high level Wing Chun strikes the key is relaxation and a rapid on off pulse combined with skeletal alignment, which ultimately comes down to control over ones own muscles.
    Your statement's first part is obvious(relaxation), the second part is nonsense(rapid on off pulse), the third part is vague(skeletal alignment), and the fourth part is a separate topic altogether.

What a mess.

Anyways, regardless of what you think of professional fighters, I've yet to see a WC vertical punch that is harder or faster than even your average 1st year MMA/Boxing student. But I'm down to be proven wrong.

The size of the muscles whilst not irrelevant is nowhere near as important.
    Well, yes and no. The size in the broadest sense, is not as important. But if you want to punch harder and faster, than there are methods used by the best fighters in the world to help you do that. And they don't involve doing SNT, and they've actually produced verifiable results.

There may be multiple paths to the punching power you're talking about, but yours is rooted in belief, and mine are rooted in fact.

Unless you'd like to share some peer reviewed studies.

Good luck with your protein shakes. I used to live on them (along with creatine and all manner of other supplements) when I was a gym rat and it never made the blindest bit of difference to my Wing Chun.
    Then unfortunately for you, it doesn't seem like you trained correctly. Here are the obvious benefits of a proper training and supplement regimen:

Strength
    Speed
    Endurance
    Muscular Stamina
    Stability
    General Heath Benefits(Heart, Bones, etc)
    Greater Resistance to injury
    Greater Physical Control
    General Psychological Benefits

You don't see at least one or more things on that list that could have aided in your Wing Chun training?

Exercises designed to build fast twitch muscle fibres are great but only if you have the ability use them and only for as long as you have them.
    By the time you've aged so much that you've lost your ability to recruit fast twitch muscle fibres, all the skeletal structure in the world won't save your ass in a physical confrontation. The myth of the old kung fu master who can destroy all is just that, a myth. At that age you won't be getting into any fights anyways.

Assuming you can even walk or think straight, by then.
    Last edited by AdrianK; 11-29-2012 at 10:00 AM.

AdrianK, your post would suggest that you don't actually train in Wing Chun. Everything that you've described in your post is linked to MMA. Wing Chun is different, if you've never experienced the power generated by high level practitioners then you won't get it and can never hope to discuss it.
    Your argument is a very shallow one and flawed on multiple levels. Have you ever stopped to ask yourself why some people appear naturally heavy handed? Why two fighters with equal physiques and equal training dedication can have widely varying punching power. Why some fighters seem to be able to hit with KO power even though they appear to have terrible technique and a poor physique.
    You also seem to have difficulty reading my post even where you quote it, I never claimed to own training methods rather I said that I possess a large number of training aids. The fact that you found elements of my description of Wing Chun power generation vague or difficult to comprehend suggests that if you are interested in the subject you should find yourself a skilled teacher who can explain.

As for myths of old kung fu masters, I don't see the relevance. I personally know several individuals in their 50s, 60s and 70s who hit like a mule and have skills that leave me green with envy. Oh and you might want to rethink your view that old people don't need to be able to fight if you consider that the elderly and the young are classic victim groups for violent assault the world over. When you're young brute force and ignorance is a great equaliser but when age catches up you need something else, unfortunately by then its too late to start learning new tricks.

To each their own, good luck in your training